Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Override

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 11:45 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HR_Traveler
From section 2.2.1 (MasterCard Guaranteed Reservations) of the MasterCard Chargeback Guide - http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchan..._CB_Manual.pdf
Huh, thanks for that! That's information all of us should know.

Wonder how many hotel managers even know this policy? Every GM I've ever known seems to have taken a "hope for the best" policy about charging a no show penalty...
Old Jun 5, 2011, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Interestingly even though this is common practice for airlines it's not allowed for hotels if the deposit is on a CC.

Both MasterCard and Visa (and I assume Amex) have very similar rules for charging for hotel no shows. Both require that the room be kept available all night and until the normal check-out time. When the hotel charges for the no show they are required to write down the room number which was held. If the rules are not follow, not only can the charge be reversed but the hotel can loose it's ability to charge cancellation fees at all.

This was a compromise implemented since the cancellation charge is always a card not present transaction without a signature. Until this rule was put in place you could just call your CC company (and many, many people did) and have a charge like this reversed since they're was evidence you authorized the charge in the first place.
there is no rule stating room numbers must be tracked for no shows.....nothing complicated about no-shows at all...think about how often a typical marriott swipes a card these days (wasn't much when I started expect at Residence Inn, typical full service Marriott's will just confirm the last 4 digits and hand you your key)
Originally Posted by cova
Here are the Ts&Cs of the Platinum 48-hour guarantee. "at all participating Marriott hotel brands". A key word being participating.

I find many times that the 48-hour guarantee does not work at for rate. I think Marriott has themselves covered - basically it does work sometimes - just not all the time - and it doesn't have to be a special event either.
If the hotel participates in MR they are participate 100%....to my knowledge there isn't a non-participating hotel in the system
Originally Posted by CJKatl
It is also my understanding that blackout dates have to be pre-approved by Marriott (I think someone mentioned once at a regional level) and Marriott requires a compelling reason, above the hotel just not wanting to participate.
you are correct
From section 2.2.1 (MasterCard Guaranteed Reservations) of the MasterCard Chargeback Guide - http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchan..._CB_Manual.pdf

..."If a hotel, motel, or resort is participating in the MasterCard Guaranteed
Reservations service for all MasterCard cardholders, the hotel, motel, or resort
is obligated to have a room available when the MasterCard cardholder arrives
(until checkout time the next day)."...

..."6. If the cardholder does not cancel and does not stay at the hotel, motel,
or resort, then the hotel, motel, or resort may bill the cardholder for one
night’s room rate. The following procedure should be followed:
a. The hotel, motel, or resort completes a TID filling in the cardholder’s
name, MasterCard account number, card expiration date, date of no
show, assigned room number and card acceptor identification, and
writes the words “guaranteed reservation/no-show” in place of the
cardholder’s signature.
b. The hotel, motel, or resort follows its usual authorization procedures.
c. Assuming the account is not listed in the Warning Bulletin, and
authorization has been provided or the transaction does not require
authorization, the card acceptor deposits the no-show charge in the
usual manner. No special deposit requirements are imposed on the
card acceptor.
d. The actual no-show registration card, reflecting the assigned room
number, shall be retained six months from the date that the TID is
deposited."...

..."8. MasterCard reserves the right to prevent the acquirer from allowing a
specific hotel, motel, or resort to participate in the MasterCard Guaranteed
Reservations service where in the opinion of MasterCard management, the
hotel, motel, or resort has abused the privilege."...

I've not looked it up but my sister who works for Visa indicated the policy is the same for Visa as well.
you'll notice it says "assigned room number"...just like with the airlines - GNR's do not need to be assigned a room number
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Under general contract law there is the concept of "requirement to make gain from breach". What that means is that if someone breaks a contact with you, and you are able to sell the item or whatever so that you have no loss (or less loss -- called "mitigating the damage") you are to do so, and you cannot charge the person who is in breach of the contract for a loss you did not incur.

There are certain modifications and exceptions to this rule, and I understand some states have modified the rule by statute, but in general it is a rule of fairness -- if you didn't lose money because of my breach, you weren't harmed by it and thus you have no "damages" to recover from me.

So, where that concept applies if you were able to rent the room you rented to me but I didn't show up for, you can charge me any expenses you incurred in renting it again, but you can't just keep my money and the other customer's as well.
very correct - most hoteliers will attempt to re-rent rooms once they become aware someone isn't able to honor their end of the contract (besides No-Show's group's quickly come to mind where this is most often employed)

Last edited by bdschobel; Jun 7, 2011 at 12:35 pm Reason: merged five posts
Old Jun 6, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by socrates
you should be able to book it on marriott.com - make sure you log in first...but regardless I was just able to book a platinum override reservation for next Tuesday & Wednesday at the hotel (as mentioned the hotel does not have a waiver)

Note: I found out what happened...the hotel DID have a waiver for almost 4 hours today - it's since been withdrawn
Sorry for the late update - been a busy weekend. Anyway, customer care was able to book me an override last Friday - not sure if that was what led to the waiver being withdrawn, but either way - I'm all set.

Just as a policy question though - can a hotel typically get such a late notice waiver if occupancy rates are way higher than expected? In this particular instance, marriott.com showed plat overrides available online as of last Tuesday (I started looking when it looked like a trip to Charlotte was a possibility), but didn't actually try booking until Friday (when travel plans were finalized) - which was what led to the exchange as described in the OP.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msuroo
Just as a policy question though - can a hotel typically get such a late notice waiver if occupancy rates are way higher than expected? In this particular instance, marriott.com showed plat overrides available online as of last Tuesday (I started looking when it looked like a trip to Charlotte was a possibility), but didn't actually try booking until Friday (when travel plans were finalized) - which was what led to the exchange as described in the OP.
no, occupancy levels have nothing to do with being granted a waiver but there are any number of reasons why the request could have been so last minute though
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by socrates
there is no rule stating room numbers must be tracked for no shows
I guess it depends on whose rule we are talking about, the hotel or the credit card network. I think the Mastercard policy is fairly clear.

"The actual no-show registration card, reflecting the assigned room
deposited."

Now clearly when hotels make up their rules they are willing to take on certain risks in order to make their processes easier and cheaper. It may be that a hotel is will to take the risk that their cancellation charges will be reversed on the few occasion when the credit card holder disputes the charge.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it depends on whose rule we are talking about, the hotel or the credit card network. I think the Mastercard policy is fairly clear.

"The actual no-show registration card, reflecting the assigned room
deposited."

Now clearly when hotels make up their rules they are willing to take on certain risks in order to make their processes easier and cheaper. It may be that a hotel is will to take the risk that their cancellation charges will be reversed on the few occasion when the credit card holder disputes the charge.
I dont mean to split hairs but one thing I've learned over the years is nothing can be assumed in a contract, if something isn't stated in a contract you can't add it by assumption, verbal agreement etc, it must be written in the contract for it to be a part of the contract, certainly MC being a billion dollar company has an excellent legal team - so as stated if a room number is assigned it must be recorded but there is no rule stating room numbers must be assigned...equally there is no requirement that hotels have registration cards (hotels started doing away with these years ago in favor of electronic records-heck we started doing that in my day)
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by msuroo
So I call the Charlotte City Center to book a reservation for next week, and the reservations desk is surprised to see that they can't book me a platinum override. She's not sure why, so she advises me to call the platinum line. The platinum phone agent isn't sure why either, so she calls the hotel manager and discovers that the hotel is not blacked out for a special event, but is just "too oversold", and that they can put me on a waitlist if I would like. I pressed the issue a little bit, but at the end of the day they just wouldn't book me a room.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've never had a problem utilizing the platinum guarantee before. I mean, I understand the special event policy, but isn't the whole point of the elite benefit to be able to book a room when there aren't any to be had? Should I call customer service and push them harder?
Just curious what date were you looking at ? That they were sold out. Been there during special events and were never sold out.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cw082350
Just curious what date were you looking at ? That they were sold out. Been there during special events and were never sold out.
Checking in tonight for 2 nights.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Under general contract law there is the concept of "requirement to make gain from breach". What that means is that if someone breaks a contact with you, and you are able to sell the item or whatever so that you have no loss (or less loss -- called "mitigating the damage") you are to do so, and you cannot charge the person who is in breach of the contract for a loss you did not incur.

There are certain modifications and exceptions to this rule, and I understand some states have modified the rule by statute, but in general it is a rule of fairness -- if you didn't lose money because of my breach, you weren't harmed by it and thus you have no "damages" to recover from me.

So, where that concept applies if you were able to rent the room you rented to me but I didn't show up for, you can charge me any expenses you incurred in renting it again, but you can't just keep my money and the other customer's as well.
In MOST states, this is 100% correct, however, there may be some hotels which would attempt to "double dip," counting on the possibility that they will not be caught by the "no show" or credit card company in almost all cases.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USirritated
In MOST states, this is 100% correct, however, there may be some hotels which would attempt to "double dip," counting on the possibility that they will not be caught by the "no show" or credit card company in almost all cases.
sad to say I can vouch for this...I've known a few individuals who push their personal ethics to double/triple etc dip...thankfully these individuals are few and far between (the worst offender I can think of is an area manager for a senior living company in the midwest these days, while I'm certain it's still possible in that industry it certainly isn't quite as easy for him to accomplish either)
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:40 pm

HR_Traveler, that's a fabulous text you quoted as to MasterCard rules on point. Any chance you or others know where to find the corresponding rules for American Express (most relevant for me) or Visa? Much appreciated!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by bedelman
HR_Traveler, that's a fabulous text you quoted as to MasterCard rules on point. Any chance you or others know where to find the corresponding rules for American Express (most relevant for me) or Visa? Much appreciated!
My guess is that Visa is very similar, but that Amex is at least a bit different, if not very different, but of course I could be wrong.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Platinum OVerride Success - F1 Austin

News report from Dallas was that all hotels were sold out for F1 race next year.

Quick trip to Marriott site and confirm nothing close available.

Login, and surprise - Cheap room now available for me and my dad for next years race.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by rthib
News report from Dallas was that all hotels were sold out for F1 race next year.

Quick trip to Marriott site and confirm nothing close available.

Login, and surprise - Cheap room now available for me and my dad for next years race.

I love it when a plan comes together.

how is that so? don't you have to pay rack rate ( a not so cheap room) for a plat override?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by justspg
how is that so? don't you have to pay rack rate ( a not so cheap room) for a plat override?
Not always. I've found a cheaper rate online than when calling the Plat CSR for the override.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.