Platinum Override

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Two words - "Senior Bowl"...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
I don't think being sold out is a valid reason to remove the override. That's the point of the override. I know I've used the override to attend conventions when the hotel was sold out.

Perhaps MC/socrates can clarify.
It is not that it is sold out. It is that a single organization has booked the entire hotel.

Let's say you were having a event and you guaranteed the hotel that you would use ALL of their rooms. They in turn guarantee you that ALL of their rooms will be dedicated to your group.

If your group shows up and one room is not availalble because they gave it to someone using a plat override, wouldn't you be ticked off? After all you signed a contract reserving the whole hotel, not 99 out of 100 rooms.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
It is not that it is sold out. It is that a single organization has booked the entire hotel.

Let's say you were having a event and you guaranteed the hotel that you would use ALL of their rooms. They in turn guarantee you that ALL of their rooms will be dedicated to your group.

If your group shows up and one room is not availalble because they gave it to someone using a plat override, wouldn't you be ticked off? After all you signed a contract reserving the whole hotel, not 99 out of 100 rooms.
Well, suppose you are a Platinum who has given stayed 500-2000 nights and then on that ONE time try to use the clearly defined override benefit only to be told, sorry can't use it. Wouldn't you be ticked off?

Either make it a benefit or not but pulling the rug from under the stated benefits is setting up the long-term customers up for disappointment. Now we're talking a CY in AL, not some 5-star resort but the principle is identical regardless of level of hotel IMO
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich
I don't think being sold out is a valid reason to remove the override. That's the point of the override. I know I've used the override to attend conventions when the hotel was sold out.

Perhaps MC/socrates can clarify.
being sold out is not a valid reason and it wont be approved by the folks in Bethesda...contracting your hotel out though would (if a group books every room there's no where to put a platinum)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal

exactly
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cantheplanegofaster?
Well, suppose you are a Platinum who has given stayed 500-2000 nights and then on that ONE time try to use the clearly defined override benefit only to be told, sorry can't use it. Wouldn't you be ticked off?

Either make it a benefit or not but pulling the rug from under the stated benefits is setting up the long-term customers up for disappointment. Now we're talking a CY in AL, not some 5-star resort but the principle is identical regardless of level of hotel IMO
I completely understand your point however this benefit hasn't changed from the day it was established almost 2 decades ago...unfortunately groups don't like having their events hosted at multiple hotels but it sounds as though the OP has options for other near by CY's
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Platinum Override - notification now given online?

Please excuse me if this has already been posted, but I did a search and didn't see this posted already.

I was looking for hotels for the upcoming NCAA basketball tournament and noticed that a hotel was showing as available for me, but not for a friend (shown as Unavailable for him). When I selected a room, under the thumbnail photo and next to the preferences, I saw the text "This rate only offered to Elite members like you" in red. This isn't an Elite only rate, and indeed is listed as "Regular Rate" for rate type.

I know in the past, some posters complained that there was no way to know when the Platinum Override was being invoked when booking online. This is my first year with Plat status and never noticed this being shown online before, so I'm not certain. However, this might be a new way of letting us know when that's what's happening.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AggieWxNole
Please excuse me if this has already been posted, but I did a search and didn't see this posted already.

I was looking for hotels for the upcoming NCAA basketball tournament and noticed that a hotel was showing as available for me, but not for a friend (shown as Unavailable for him). When I selected a room, under the thumbnail photo and next to the preferences, I saw the text "This rate only offered to Elite members like you" in red. This isn't an Elite only rate, and indeed is listed as "Regular Rate" for rate type.

I know in the past, some posters complained that there was no way to know when the Platinum Override was being invoked when booking online. This is my first year with Plat status and never noticed this being shown online before, so I'm not certain. However, this might be a new way of letting us know when that's what's happening.
this change was made quite a while ago - since that time it's displayed a message informing you when the override was being used
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I saw this a few weeks ago when booking a FI near an upcoming outdoor music festival. First I was miffed because I couldn't book it with points yet it was available. And at only $114 per night, would have thought a PLT override would be more than that!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:53 am

Platinum Override and Availibility

Fellow FT'ers Need your expertise/advice

I recently booked a trip for my family to the JW Pucket from Dec 28-Jan3 2013. Hopefully the Mayan prophecy is wrong and we will make it back home.

A little bit of background:
We called on Jan 6th to book for the following year and were told they were sold out, all 200+ rooms.

Luckily my 2 brothers and I, plus my dad all have Marriott Plat and my dad has Plat Prem. Each of us had to use a Platinum Override to get a room which is now confirmed.

I've since called about every month to inquire if any other higher category rooms are available and always been sold we're sold out. I've called Plat Prem reservations and the hotel directly and this morning was told by the hotel desk in Phuket that. "Its so far in advance when it gets closer, we'll have more availibilty". I asked well then how are you sold out already if you'll have more later. The front desk manager said they block rooms out way in advance and hold them until 3 months before.

My question is how can they do this and then when a Plat Prem calls to book rooms has to use an override, thus making you pay rack rate, when other rooms later might be better and same price/cheaper.

How do I go about to get them to unblock rooms or was the guy giving me bad information? I've reserved 4 rooms and am willing to pay more if its a substantial upgrade.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First off- platinum override only gets you the lowest cat of room, no more.

These are refundable reservations right? So if something better or cheaper opens up later you can rebook and cancel.

If you are willing to book a non-refundable rate I get all the following:

19,000.00 (THB) per night Rate rules
Deluxe Garden, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Garden view, Balcony Room details

19,700.00 (THB) per night Rate rules
Deluxe Terrace, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Garden view, Ground floor Room details

21,100.00 (THB) per night Rate rules
Pool Terrace, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Poolside view, Ground floor, Balcony Room details

21,100.00 (THB) per night Rate rules
Deluxe Sea View, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double, Sea view, Balcony Room details

38,500.00 (THB) per night Rate rules
1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King, Sofabed, Sea view, Corner room, Balcony Room details

48,500.00 (THB) per night Rate rules
Pool Suite, 1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King, Oceanfront Room details

99,000.00 (THB) per night Rate rules
Pool Suite, 2 Bedroom Suite, Bedroom 1: King, Bedroom 2: King, Bathrooms: 3, Oceanfront Room details
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:49 pm

Yes Refundable. Are you getting those rates for the days I listed?

Where did you find that, every-time I check it says no availability.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
First, if I recall, they Mayans say the world ends on 12/21/12, so making it home is not the issue. Making the trip at all might be in question.

I did a search for Puckett and the primary results did not present the JW at all. Opened the search to All Hotels and selected the property and was able to see availability for the dates you listed. 19,000, almost triple from earlier in the month. I guess the holidays are very popular. I only saw one room type and 30-day cancellation period.

It sure looks to me this property is managing their inventory close to the chest and you just might have to play their game and keep checking availability. If a lot of people buy into the Mayans belief, they may open things up to encourage bookings.

Good luck.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JCPTX
Yes Refundable. Are you getting those rates for the days I listed?

Where did you find that, every-time I check it says no availability.
Are you logged in as a Plat? I am and I see all that inventory for Dec 28-Jan 3
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:45 pm

That's so weird. I'm logged in as a PLAT and see "Unavailable"

you sure your putting in Dec 2012 and Jan 2013?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.