Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Override

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2003, 2:09 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
How often do you use an override award?

I'm curious as to award redemption experience with Marriott Rewards. Was wondering what % of the time people find it necessary to use 50% more points to secure an award stay without the capacity constraints because a regular award is not available. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 27, 2003, 2:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I only redeem Marriott rewards when traveling internationally...because of the generally higher priced hotel rooms overseas...and have never had to pay the premium because of a capacity issue. I've probably booked 25 or 30 reward stays over the last 10 years so I must either be lucky or am traveling to these various Marriotts off season.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 1:25 pm

Location: newnan, ga, usa PM and 2mm Delta, LPM Marriott, Diamond Hyatt, Diamond Best Western, gold NW, Platinum 6C Priority
I have 100% success as well. Since our kids are grown, we travel off peak, typically shoulder season and avoid crowded cities during major events. I have used Platinum power a couple of times in the past, but not recently.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 1:32 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Never had to use my Platinum override and for rewards we plan 8-12 months out so generally have no issues with rewards.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
? Re: Platinum Override & Multiple Rooms

Either I'm not very good at Searching FT via Google (a strong possibility ), or I didn't use the correct search phrases or this question is just enough off-kilter it didn't come up.

Here's the scenario. I'm on the Bd of Dir for the local division of a natl org. The mid-year meeting (of which I get to be the mtg planner) is being held held in June at a Renaissance on a Sunday from 8:30am-1:30pm. The BOD decided, even though we're all basically local, that we'd stay at the Ren the night before, as we've done in the past, and have dinner/drinks (and it's the VP's bday).

Call to book my reservation at Renaissance & am told hotel is fully booked (convention in town unbeknownst to us) & they'll have to invoke the Platinum overide for $239. Well, that's not going to happen since this is out of my pocket & I live so close (30 minutes away), & figure the rest of BOD won't either & probably aren't Platinum to boot.

They say there's a Courtyard nearby that is sold out and that the Plat override is $119 (ok, much better). I talk to the hotel & am told that it's a 3-block walk to Renaissance. Ok, can live w/ that.

Just out of curiosity I go on Travelocity. Courtyard shows up as $109 on Travelocity. I've never booked via that method, but IIRC, we don't get points/status booking via that method. So that won't work for me, although it might for some of other BOD who don't travel enough to earn status.

The Courtyard front desk says they're showing a $149 rate in their system, and I mention Travelocity. She says go for it, that's much better than our system. I said I don't think I get points. She says, didn't know that.

Btw, if I'm (Sharon) wrong, someone please correct me cuz then we'd probably all book via Travelocity.

So I mention the Platinum override for $119, which is reasonable, but also mention there are a few (not all) on the board who do stay w/ Marriott & would want to get status/points, but they might not be Platinum and thus wouldn't be able to get room.

She says make the reservation for multiple rooms using your Platinum override, & then call us directly & give us the individual's names & cc info on the additional rooms, and we'll make the change.

Ok, sounds good to me, but the Platinum line when I asked about it said each person in the other rooms has to be Platinum as well, not just me.

So now I'm confused - who's right? The Courtyard front desk or the Platinum line, or should I just go w/ what the Courtyard front desk says & ignore the Platinum line?

To be clear, I am not trying to get points for all the rooms & really don't want them on my cc even if that would get me points too. But since those of us possibly coming in the night before the meeting live 30-90 minutes away, I'm just trying to come up w/ a reasonable place to stay at a reasonable rate that's close to where the meeting is held.

All the other hotel chains nearby are through the roof as well due to the convention.

Any input appreciated. Cheers. Sharon

PS - I deliberately didn't mention which Ren & which CY cuz I didn't want to accidently get the front desk clerk in trouble if she was wrong & I posted that info.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Mar 8, 2005 at 6:50 pm
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:03 pm

Programs: Too many to list
This must be a franchise. By having a lower rate selling on travelocity than on marriott.com, there is a major "best rate guarantee" violation. The travelocity rate should mirror the rate they show in the system, unless it is packaged with something else. Nothing about this situation seems right, and if it were me I would book the rooms ASAP before the problem gets fixed since everywhere else is sold out. Since this agent does not know what he/she is talking about, I would book your room with the Plat guarantee to get the points and have your other people make reservations on travelocity to get the better rate. One point of caution......I would be nervous about getting walked (no worries for the Plat guarantee). Usually priceline, travelocity, expedia, etc are the first people to get walked on busy nights. If everywhere else is sold out, where would they send you?
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:28 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
As a board member, I would not expose my credibility to a "plat line says this","Travelocity says that situation". I would: change the dates or change the location to avoid putting yourself in an awkward/embarassing situation. I would try to keep everone in the same property. Good luck.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Platinum Override Overridden

How many times have my fellow platinums tried for a hotel that was sold out only to be told that the platinum override was not available?

Seems to defeat the whole purpose of the benefit as I tried to get a room at the Renaissance Dallas only to be told that (weeks in advance) that the Platinum override was not available.

The story concludes with the hotel booting me out for the night I was trying to get (I had already been a guest at the hotel for two nights). Thought I would at least have a chance as a current guest at the hotel. No waitlist was offered and the front desk staff could care less to try to accomodate me for my third and final night. Was told to keep checking back. How many times during the day should a Plat have to keep calling for an available room that should already be guranteed by the gurantee?

I don't get it, just seems to add up to a general disregard for marriott elites. But I have acclimated to that, sort of in a disfunctional relationship with Marriott now. . .
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8M, Marriott PLT, *wood GLD, Bombay Sapphire
I have asked for the PLT override 4 times over the past year, and have had it honored every time. I have found it to be a great benefit.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:04 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
My memroy did serve me well, from MR T&C:

"48-hour Guaranteed Availability: Limited to a Platinum member's personal guestroom.... Only during a very limited number of dates (for example, special events) are hotels unable to provide this service."
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:08 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
While this is indeed unfortunate, they are in full compliance with MR T&C as stated below:

"48-hour Guaranteed Availability: Limited to a Platinum member's personal guestroom. Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked 48 hours prior to arrival available at all participating Marriott hotel brands except Marriott Vacation Club International and Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club. Only during a very limited number of dates (for example, special events) are hotels unable to provide this service. This benefit cannot be used in conjunction with award usage or any type of promotional or discounted rates. At Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, this benefit applies to studio rooms only."
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
What this translates into is whatever hotel doesn't want to honor the platinum override doesn't have to. The gap here is wide open for hotels to wiggle out of it.

I was in Dallas in February. Not superbowl. Not MardiGras. Not Indiana 500. Not new years in Times Square. Not even a national political convention.

They just didn't want to bother.

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
While this is indeed unfortunate, they are in full compliance with MR T&C as stated below:

"48-hour Guaranteed Availability: Limited to a Platinum member's personal guestroom. Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked 48 hours prior to arrival available at all participating Marriott hotel brands except Marriott Vacation Club International and Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club. Only during a very limited number of dates (for example, special events) are hotels unable to provide this service. This benefit cannot be used in conjunction with award usage or any type of promotional or discounted rates. At Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, this benefit applies to studio rooms only."
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by fletch050
I have asked for the PLT override 4 times over the past year, and have had it honored every time. I have found it to be a great benefit.
That's been pretty much my experience as well. Never had it turned down but I'd be a little upset if it was for no good reason.
I too consider this to be a great bennie but if it gets to the point where you can't depend on it, it loses much of it's value.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:13 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Call the Platinum Line and keep moving up the chain

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
What this translates into is whatever hotel doesn't want to honor the platinum override doesn't have to. The gap here is wide open for hotels to wiggle out of it.

I was in Dallas in February. Not superbowl. Not MardiGras. Not Indiana 500. Not new years in Times Square. Not even a national political convention.

They just didn't want to bother.
I have never had a problem, so I would move up the management chain and asked for them to tell you what specific dates and event have caused this override to be dis-honored.

As an aside, I have used the override for both Indy (500 and F1) and also NY Hotel during RNC (One that was used as an official delegate hotel).
So I can not think of any event (other then an All-Star game) that would be bigger than that.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
I got the plat override in St. Louis during the World Series. Like the upgrade benefit, I think it depends on the management of the property. In my experience,the properties that provide good service to all, provide excellent service to elites, and usually go beyond the letter of the elite benefits. A few properties don't seem to get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.