Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Override

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:57 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Platinum Override - Is this allowed

I have never had issues with Platinum override until now.

Trying to book into small MN town and being told that there is no room.
They called hotel and they said they are overbooked because of an event in town.

Ok, so finally a fail.

Just in case I keep looking.

When I expand to 4 days, it shows availability but if I just pick the two days I want, no availability. I called reservations again and got same answer (no override, hotel is full)

So how can they have availability for 4 days to anyone but no 2 of those days for Platinum?

Should I escalate. Can they block Platinum override based on number of days?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:12 am

Why don't you just book the 4 days and cancel the last 2 when you check in?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:25 am

You can try to reserve the consecutive 4nights, then modify the date of your reservation online. I did this several times before, no problem at all=)

Cheers,
Dolphinyong
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:28 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
You can try to reserve the consecutive 4nights, then modify the date of your reservation online. I did this several times before, no problem at all=)

Cheers,
Dolphinyong
It is the first two days I do not want, otherwise I would just check out early.
I tried the reserve and change. That always worked for me before, but when I change it gives me the "Not Available" screen.

But, the main question is it legit for Platinum line to be telling me there is no availability and no override, if I can book online for more days. I don't see anything in T&C about it, but before I escalate want to make sure I am correct.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rthib
It is the first two days I do not want, otherwise I would just check out early.
I tried the reserve and change. That always worked for me before, but when I change it gives me the "Not Available" screen.

But, the main question is it legit for Platinum line to be telling me there is no availability and no override, if I can book online for more days. I don't see anything in T&C about it, but before I escalate want to make sure I am correct.
Do they have a minimum stay requirement due to event? You could be hitting up against that.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:40 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Do they have a minimum stay requirement due to event? You could be hitting up against that.
That is my question?
Does that override Platinum Guarantee?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Book the four days.

Then call Marriott reservations and cancel the two you don't want (even if it is the first two).
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
what do you recommend?

Originally Posted by socrates
there is not a set amount of overrides....
Just keeping calling until someone will override it?

If the Plat line called the GM and the GM said sorry no more. what is my next step?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You could call customer care and ask why you cannot get a platinum override.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
That is my question?
Does that override Platinum Guarantee?
Yes, I believe it does override. You still have to follow the reservation parameters. For example, paying rack rate etc. I have seen this before over 4th of July weekends at beach properties. Couldn't reserve Saturday, but could reserve the weekend min. nights.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Book the four days.

Then call Marriott reservations and cancel the two you don't want (even if it is the first two).
I think this is your best shot.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:29 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Book the four days.

DOH!
Sort of hard for them to say not available.

That said, would be nice to get an official answer about what is and is not allowed on Platinum Override.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You should ask when you call, but it appears that the override would apply if you pay rack rate + meet minimum stay. So, you would need to pay a ton of money and actually stay the full 4 nights. Remember, if it's a "special event" there may be an exception for the date(s) for the specific property.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
DOH!
Sort of hard for them to say not available.

That said, would be nice to get an official answer about what is and is not allowed on Platinum Override.
It is possible the last two days will overbook the property and they are hoping for cancellations or willing to take the extra two days revenue to walk someone. I play all sorts of games when booking multiple nights and find some very strange "creative" ways to get cheap rooms. With all the rules a property has to defining rooms/rates/stays it can be a challenge getting what I want.

There are so many corner cases possible here it would be near impossible for MR (or any hotel) to list them all. MR is bad about word-smithing their program that makes it difficult to truly understand how they will act in all situations.

Good luck.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
Just keeping calling until someone will override it?

If the Plat line called the GM and the GM said sorry no more. what is my next step?
Book it at hoteltravel and then get the credits + elite nights as if it's book through Marriott.com. This is what I'll ask for if it were me - oh also if they override that and the rate is more than hoteltravel, I'll file a LNF too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.