Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Override

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by RogerD408
It's too bad phones are voice only, there is also a good chance the "supervisor" is making up being a supervisor... Not that I suspect they are wearing name tags with titles but remember a scene in a movie where one CSR asks his neighbor CSR to pretend being a supervisor.
Actually most call centers (not just MI's) can't have a neighbor be a supervisor, phone systems just aren't setup to work that way...they have a "hot line" button they press to reach a supervisor BUT that doesn't mean the person in question was a supervisor (ie I have no proof either way).....going into a call center these days looks like visiting Houston Control (NASA)...really hi-tech monitoring everything from talk time/hold time to weather around the globe
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by socrates
Min stays do not apply to Plats - they will always be offered a room unless an exception is granted
Really? Recently I tried to get a room (a Saturday night) at the CY in Paso Robles, CA, and could have booked a 2 night stay, but ended up in San Luis Obispo because I only wanted one night. I've seen this complaint in another thread as well. Would an exception allow them to insist on the two night minimum rather than give a Platinum one night?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Actually most call centers (not just MI's) can't have a neighbor be a supervisor, phone systems just aren't setup to work that way...they have a "hot line" button they press to reach a supervisor BUT that doesn't mean the person in question was a supervisor (ie I have no proof either way).....going into a call center these days looks like visiting Houston Control (NASA)...really hi-tech monitoring everything from talk time/hold time to weather around the globe
That's good to know, but I was suggesting the CSR might not follow protocol and ask their neighbor CSR pretend to be a supervisor and support their denial... You'd have no way to know. Not that looking at them would do any good either.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd guess most res agents wouldn't have a clue how to look up if a waiver is granted or not (it's not in a part of the system they'd normally go to, heck I'm not even sure if they have access to that part of the system)
Well then, how does a customer have a chance of knowing if the exception has been granted by Marriott HQ if even Marriott ressies doesn't know?

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kar120c
Would an exception allow them to insist on the two night minimum rather than give a Platinum one night?
would not - my guess (and it's only that) is it involves a new computer system
Old Sep 28, 2012, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well then, how does a customer have a chance of knowing if the exception has been granted by Marriott HQ if even Marriott ressies doesn't know?

Cheers.
Great question - one to which I don't have a reasonable (customer forward looking) answer
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
As a point of reference, I do know that Starwood (where there are no blackout dates for award rooms), if there is a minimum night requirement on a paid stay, then there will be a similar minimum night requirement on an award room. And they also have a similar Plat room guarantee (72 hour requirement I think), but that also would be required to abide by any minimum night requirements that normal standard rooms would have.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:22 am

Platinum Override

I have tried booking a room for one night at a Fairfield Inn that has the Platinum Override blocked. I am able to reserve a room for 3 days for an inflated rate (and have done so) but nothing allowed for a single night.

Anyone run across this scenario before and\or any suggestions on how to be able to reserve for just a single night.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Try calling the Platinum help desk and tell them you want to cancel the nights that are inflated (only if you can book those two separately at a better rate). I recently wanted to book a Saturday night using points and was told I could do so with a Platinum override but had to book Sunday as well. Sunday was going to be pretty cheap (not worth the points with an LNF I was able to find) so I called the Platinum help desk and asked them to cancel Sunday night. I was able to successfully use points for only my Saturday night stay by doing that (and got the LNF for Sunday night). Now I just need to get the reservations merged.

Do people out there suggest I call the Platinum held desk or the hotel directly? I know this is in a thread but I cannot find it! Just vaguely remember reading about it...
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ocrtech
I have tried booking a room for one night at a Fairfield Inn that has the Platinum Override blocked. I am able to reserve a room for 3 days for an inflated rate (and have done so) but nothing allowed for a single night.

Anyone run across this scenario before and\or any suggestions on how to be able to reserve for just a single night.
Did you have any luck with your reservation? I have had that happen to me once before.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by mindrisa
Try calling the Platinum help desk and tell them you want to cancel the nights that are inflated (only if you can book those two separately at a better rate). I recently wanted to book a Saturday night using points and was told I could do so with a Platinum override but had to book Sunday as well. Sunday was going to be pretty cheap (not worth the points with an LNF I was able to find) so I called the Platinum help desk and asked them to cancel Sunday night. I was able to successfully use points for only my Saturday night stay by doing that (and got the LNF for Sunday night). Now I just need to get the reservations merged.

Do people out there suggest I call the Platinum held desk or the hotel directly? I know this is in a thread but I cannot find it! Just vaguely remember reading about it...
Why even bother making an effort to get the reservations merged? I know that I would not put in the time to get the reservations merged if it will not be meaningful. You are confirmed, yes? If you are, then don't worry about it, because they will be merged when you get to check in.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
this thread was started over ten yrs ago, and i haven't read through every post-- but here's what i'm wondering: I have been a Plat. member for the last 5 or 6 yrs, recently got downgraded to Gold, and today spent 40,000 pts to reinstate my Platinum status.. I've never before tried to invoke the Platinum override, i guess i never realized it was an option.. at the moment, i'm trying to book rooms for trips that are 6 mos. to a year down the road, and i want to make sure i understand the override correctly: If i'm punching in the dates i want and nothing shows up as available, then i can just pick up my phone, call Guest Services and they'll book a room for me? The Guest Services agent i spoke with today made it sound like that's exactly how it's done, he said that "99 times out of a hundred" it can be done.. i've never tried this before and i want to see if i'm missing anything.. and what would be be the one time out of a hundred that it wouldn't work?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
If the hotel gets a corporate waiver for some large citywide event or something specific to them. Read upstream for examples and people's feelings on the availability, it is mixed.

Invoking is easy, its automatically tied to your MR# and you can book it online within 72 (48?) hours of check-in. Often you won't even notice it except for the higher price you'll pay.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by joshua362
If the hotel gets a corporate waiver for some large citywide event or something specific to them. Read upstream for examples and people's feelings on the availability, it is mixed.

Invoking is easy, its automatically tied to your MR# and you can book it online within 72 (48?) hours of check-in. Often you won't even notice it except for the higher price you'll pay.
I forget the exact words, but when a Plat Override rate shows up on the site, in addition to the ridiculously high rate, it says something like, "Special Rate" or "Special Promotional Rate" towards the top of the page where you confirm the reservation parameters. You will also be limited to one room at that rate.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I forget the exact words, but when a Plat Override rate shows up on the site, in addition to the ridiculously high rate, it says something like, "Special Rate" or "Special Promotional Rate" towards the top of the page where you confirm the reservation parameters. You will also be limited to one room at that rate.
Something like "this rate is only available to Elite members like you" or words to that effect. IIRC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.