Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Override

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I went ahead and tried it (as a Plat). My results were the same as RogerD408s.

When a did an "area" search for availability for Dec. 28th - Jan. 3rd, I don't see any availability for the JW. If I go directly to the JW's website and search it's inventory by itself, I can see the 19K THB rate (prepaid of course). But I see no other options.

(Note that the issue of an "area" search not showing availability, but a specific hotel inventory search showing the Plat override inventory has been mentioned here on FT for many years. So it isn't anything new itself.)
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JCPTX
That's so weird. I'm logged in as a PLAT and see "Unavailable"

you sure your putting in Dec 2012 and Jan 2013?
if you've already used a plat override over these days at any hotel in the system it will not allow you to use another over the same dates
Old May 1, 2012, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by socrates
if you've already used a plat override over these days at any hotel in the system it will not allow you to use another over the same dates
thanks, that explains it
Old May 9, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
platinum override and AC hotels

Quick question. Does the platinum override work with AC Hotels? Customer Service is saying it does not. However according to the website:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits.mi

it says this is only unavailable to:

**Not available at Marriott Vacation Club.
Anyone have any clarification on this?

I am trying to use this at:
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...-hotel-lisboa/

The original rep offered me at one point $200 and two certs(i think he mistook it for a walk) however, the supervisor refuses to honor that.

Any thoughts on how i should respond? Is the website incorrect?

Thanks.
Old May 9, 2012, 7:58 pm

I do believe the answer here is yes they do honor the Plat Override.

I removed my Plat credentials and tried to make a reservation at the AC Hotel Irla for Mar. 16-17. I received a message saying there were no rooms available (i.e. the hotel was booked.)

I then logged into my Marriott account and tried it again. I was able to get a room for 140 EUR for the night.

So it looks like the Plat override works just fine.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Platinum Override at Ithaca Courtyard

Tried to use platinum override at the Ithaca Courtyard this weekend. Reservations says I can't get an override because the hotel is sold out -- there's no particular event but they are sold out.

Seems pretty bizarre... what's the purpose of the override if you can't use it when they're sold out. Anyone had this experience in the absence of a special event?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:36 pm

I would guess there is something or someone who has contracted out for that whole CY for this weekend. Note that the "event" in question doesn't have to something big like the Olympics or Superbowl. It can be something seemingly small like the Smith's family reunion.

The stipulation is that the group/event will have contracted out for the hotel's complete room inventory. If the group/event has done that, then there are no rooms left for even the Plat overide (as the hotel is contractually obligated to provide all rooms to that group/event.) When that happens, the hotel still has to send a request to Marriott Corp and only then will Marriott Corp turn off the Plat Overides.

My understanding is that the hotel in question itself does not have any direct control over allowing or not allowing Plat overides. Marriott does that and only when the hotel provides proof that the group/event in question has contracted out all the rooms.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I would guess there is something or someone who has contracted out for that whole CY for this weekend. Note that the "event" in question doesn't have to something big like the Olympics or Superbowl. It can be something seemingly small like the Smith's family reunion.

The stipulation is that the group/event will have contracted out for the hotel's complete room inventory. If the group/event has done that, then there are no rooms left for even the Plat overide (as the hotel is contractually obligated to provide all rooms to that group/event.) When that happens, the hotel still has to send a request to Marriott Corp and only then will Marriott Corp turn off the Plat Overides.

My understanding is that the hotel in question itself does not have any direct control over allowing or not allowing Plat overides. Marriott does that and only when the hotel provides proof that the group/event in question has contracted out all the rooms.
just to reaffirm...you are correct
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
On the other hand, it would surprise few here if you were given incorrect information by a reservations agent. Just to check, you should call again and speak to a different agent.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:35 am

I did check the hotel for this weekend and I couldn't get a reservation either. So it does look like something is going on.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I did check the hotel for this weekend and I couldn't get a reservation either. So it does look like something is going on.
If this was directed to my comment above, note that I was referring to the agent assertedly telling the OP that the reason he couldn't use the plat override was because the hotel was sold out. This would, of course, be absurd. But not beyond belief that he could be told this by a Marriott agent.

Last edited by ohmark; Jul 25, 2012 at 8:38 pm
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
No Plat Override, to many already, but can book at hoteltravel.com

Ok this is a new one for me. Residence inn Toronto not showing up at marriott.com. Call Platinum line and inquire about override for this property but the GM said they have to many overrides already so i am being denied. I did a search out at hoteltravel.com and saw they are selling a room at this property for 240 a night.

I am guessing i would not receive anytype of credit for this stay if i book through them.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
Ok this is a new one for me. Residence inn Toronto not showing up at marriott.com. Call Platinum line and inquire about override for this property but the GM said they have to many overrides already so i am being denied. I did a search out at hoteltravel.com and saw they are selling a room at this property for 240 a night.

I am guessing i would not receive anytype of credit for this stay if i book through them.

Thanks in advance
there is not a set amount of overrides....
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Would it work to call MR PLat line for help?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by socrates
there is not a set amount of overrides....
However, This seems to be a common answer from MR line lately.
I have called and been told that the hotel is oversold and when they called GM and he said they had used up all their overrides.
At that point I usually hang up, wait a few hours and call back and hope I get someone who knows what they are doing, but something has changed recently on overrides.

Either the reps are getting less training or Marriott is handing out exemptions to override for every event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.