Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Override

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
No, they can't. As stated numerous times in previous posts:
1. They have to get the exception to Platinum 48 hour guarantee override approved by Marriott Corporate.

2. They can get an exception due to the hotel entire room inventory being contracted out (think conference) and/or special events (think Super Bowl, Mardi Gras, World Series, Indy 500, Daytona 500, etc.)
Without more information like hotel name and dates, that is about all the information we can provide.
Correct...agents just ask the computer for a room...the computer says yes or no
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sistertodd
So I called and quizzed a supervisor and found out that hotels can now self-enter an event that excludes the Platinum guaranteed reservation. There is no one supervising this, so the hotel can do it at will.
socrates, is that true or was the supervisor just making it up? I thought properties had to get permission from HQ, but if they can self-enter an event that does defeat the purpose of the override.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
socrates, is that true or was the supervisor just making it up? I thought properties had to get permission from HQ, but if they can self-enter an event that does defeat the purpose of the override.

Cheers.
I think there's some confusion on the supervisors part here

There are text fields in MARSHA where a hotel communicates with folks (it's called the "hotel facts page")...in the facts pages the hotels list basic information and should (but often don't) list the event happening in a given week, but simply listing events doesn't give a hotel a "exception"...this page is simply informational

Res would absolutely LOVE it if a hotel lists all of their events especially when an exception is granted (makes there life easier when questions are asked) but again hotels often overlook this

Hotel's do not have access to turn platinum overrides off their selves - they must reach out to HQ and request an exception...this team I believe has 5 associates that are US based (with an additional small number scattered throughout the globe so I'm guessing there's maybe 10 folks in total with this access out of 300K associates, I might be slightly off with my estimate of associates on this team but I've know this teams leader for 20+ years, her team is global but isn't very big at all)

so while it pains me to say this....but the supervisor was "just making it up"...but then I'm sure it's what they honestly believe to be the truth and they weren't trying to mislead you (after all hotels control almost everything that impacts them especially when it comes to their inventory)

Last edited by socrates; Sep 26, 2012 at 3:40 am
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Platinum Override - Is a "weekend" a special event?

I get a bit frustrated with the plat override due to the CY Paso Robles never having rooms and the override never working. In October, the weekend of 13, 20 and 27 there are no rooms at the hotel via the website.

This happens very frequently esp in the summer. How can this hotel exclude themselves from the plat override weekend after weekend?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I thought you had to call to get the override?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I thought you had to call to get the override?
It has worked for me online by just logging in before. Normally the rate will show up and say something like "this special rate is available to elite members like you".
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
No need to call. Website should show availability unless override is in use. I checked 10/13 and no go 10/14 is open. So Friday night might be an issue. Weddings?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Winery crush time...
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Minimum stay? Why not call the property directly (forget the 800#). If they've got weddings, tour parties, minimum stay or whatever, they'll just tell you and you won't have so much angst.

On FT, unless the poster works at the property, all you get is speculation.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
But do report back if you call & then we can speculate on what they're saying is true or they just made it up. You can also ask the Plat line if they're showing a waiver in the system.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by socrates
...so while it pains me to say this....but the supervisor was "just making it up"...but then I'm sure it's what they honestly believe to be the truth and they weren't trying to mislead you (after all hotels control almost everything that impacts them especially when it comes to their inventory)
It's too bad phones are voice only, there is also a good chance the "supervisor" is making up being a supervisor... Not that I suspect they are wearing name tags with titles but remember a scene in a movie where one CSR asks his neighbor CSR to pretend being a supervisor.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I bet minimum stay. Answer?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
If you cannot get it online, sometimes calling the Plat res line can help.
I've had that done before where they "investigated" why I couldn't get it and contacted the hotel. If it's an approved event then nothing you can do unless you get a really good agent who can "squeeze" you in. It really depends on the property, event type, and who you have on the other end of the phone.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Minimum stay? Why not call the property directly (forget the 800#). If they've got weddings, tour parties, minimum stay or whatever, they'll just tell you and you won't have so much angst.

On FT, unless the poster works at the property, all you get is speculation.
Min stays do not apply to Plats - they will always be offered a room unless an exception is granted
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
But do report back if you call & then we can speculate on what they're saying is true or they just made it up. You can also ask the Plat line if they're showing a waiver in the system.

Cheers.
I'd guess most res agents wouldn't have a clue how to look up if a waiver is granted or not (it's not in a part of the system they'd normally go to, heck I'm not even sure if they have access to that part of the system)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.