Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by HanBkk
What's the easiest way to book a travel package? I called 1-800-321-7396, which is the number listed on the Marriott website travel packages page:
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

The first associate I talked to had me choose the hotel and dates, and then told me the only package available was the United one. I want to get Alaska miles. I told her I wanted package 1. She said there were no other packages and there was no choice of airline miles. I HUCA and the second associate put me on hold for a long time because she didn't know who to talk to to book these. She finally came back and said I had to go to the website for Vacations by Marriott. When I told her the webpage for the travel packages said to call this number, she put me on hold again, and then came back and said to go to Vacations by Marriott.
I just called the Marriott Rewards customer service line, but the Australian number. I did not have to wait at all and the 2 packages were redeemed within 5 minutes.

So maybe it is worth calling numbers in Asia instead of American ones.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:19 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
When it comes to air points, can one determine if you want FC or Biz?
When ordering a TP award, the airline miles/points will be deposited into your airline account. From that time on, what you can or can't do with those miles/points is dictated by the airline program rules. Say, for example, you have 100K AA miles and order a 120K AA mile TP award. After you order the award you will have 220K miles in your AA account. Marriott has no visibility or control of the use of those points. And of course it will also depend on what award availability AA has for the flights you are looking at. The flight(s) you choose will need to have Bus or First class award availability if you want to use your miles.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Experience on the regular award nights. I dont think the 7 night cert would have a different set of rules from the regular award nights.

Probably nobody gets the stay credit due to the account that owns the cert, did not do the stay.

Marriott's rules (and all hotel programs seem so too) is that in order to earn stay credit, the account owner must do the stay and pay for the stay. In this case the stay is paid for fy the account owner alright but the account owner does not do the stay.

That I can also tell you from personal experience on a pay stay mix up by hotel error. when the invoice shows one account (mine) and then the payment is made by my husband's card because the reservation actually was made in his account, and he also stayed. The stay did not post in either account - the erroneous account due to hotel mistake, nor the account made the payment. It took a monumental effort to provide proof that the reservation was made under his name, in his account and he also stayed in order to correct the guest name on the hotel's side so he would get the stay credit. It was a critical stay too as we were doing Gold Challenge at the time.
Originally Posted by joeags
In most cases the one who purchased the travel package will get the elite nights. It happened when my parents checked in, and when I have transferred to an employee. The only way I have heard of it going differently is if the checking in party can get the agent to change the rewards number and details on the reservation at the hotel. I have tried and failed, but I have read one or two reports of success. Finally, if the person checking in has higher status, they can show their app card and receive the benefits. Just don't take the Platinum arrival points as they don't show up if that party's MR number doesn't get changed (previous experience!)
This all got a little confusing. To clear things up:

1) I'm trying to use a 7-night cert sitting in my account for a stay for my father. I won't be staying. I have the option of booking it in my own name and doing the "Second Guest" trick, or just making the reservation in my father's name. I am Gold Elite while my father doesn't have status.

- If I choose the former option, I will get the elite nights; will my father enjoy my Gold privileges?
- If I choose the latter option, I may get the elite nights (according to Happy I won't while according to joeags I will); will my father enjoy my Gold privileges?

2) In the future I may try to use 7-night certs sitting in my girlfriend's account for a stay for myself. (My girlfriend may or may not be staying). My girlfriend doesn't have status, and I also want to earn elite nights on my account rather than hers. Seems like by calling up Marriott and booking the reservation under my name, I'd be able to enjoy my own status benefits (per joeags) but not receive any elite nights (also per joeags)?
Old May 28, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
When ordering a TP award, the airline miles/points will be deposited into your airline account. From that time on, what you can or can't do with those miles/points is dictated by the airline program rules. Say, for example, you have 100K AA miles and order a 120K AA mile TP award. After you order the award you will have 220K miles in your AA account. Marriott has no visibility or control of the use of those points. And of course it will also depend on what award availability AA has for the flights you are looking at. The flight(s) you choose will need to have Bus or First class award availability if you want to use your miles.
Thank you this is what I was looking for...
Old May 29, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Angry new low - agents now lying about asking a sup :(

Agent refused to do expedited transfer and said she talked to sup who confirmed this. Insisting to speak to a sup despite her multiple refusals "ok just so they can tell you no too", when I gave her the exact wording that a previous customer service agent had emailed me "you don't need to be rude"....well you get the picture.
When I finally (over 1 hour) reached a (very nice) supervisor she confirmed that the agent hadn't spoken to anyone and she also had problems with the agent - anyway
be aware that there is a serious lack of training about the expedited awards and even supervisors have to go to extreme lengths to figure out how to do it. This, despite all of our previous complaints to Marriott about this. And - no surprise - there are agents who will put you on hold for 30 seconds (knew that was too short) and come back and lie that they have checked and it can't be done
Brendan likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:19 am

I have 300k points for my Category 6 package. I have Alaska Airlines in mind and a Category 6 hotel in Seoul with the exact dates. What happens if I cancel the Category 6 hotel after August 1, 2018? What happens if I change the dates for the Booked hotel after August 1, 2018?
Old May 29, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
I have 300k points for my Category 6 package. I have Alaska Airlines in mind and a Category 6 hotel in Seoul with the exact dates. What happens if I cancel the Category 6 hotel after August 1, 2018? What happens if I change the dates for the Booked hotel after August 1, 2018?
Get a Crystal Ball. Seriously, nobody knows. Anything anyone says now is pure speculation.
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:00 pm
alc

Here is what I think it will be:
​​
cancel - you will get the cert back in the same value as someone holding cert unused by Aug 1st

change - you are "officially" need to required to follow the new rules (whatever that is) but sometimes you can also contact the hotel directly and they might be able to just move it for you.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by alc
​cancel - you will get the cert back in the same value as someone holding cert unused by Aug 1st
Nobody knows for sure what that means, because the categories change August 1.

Lucky reported he was told by a Marriott exec that the certs would be replaced with points.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Happy
Do you mean you can talk to the bot lady with this phrase and get transferred to a human in the Elite Services dept?

These days one would feel when a human picks up the line after only 30 min wait...
  • Call the Marriott Rewards phone number
  • Spam the 0 key until the "bot lady" decides to transfer you to an " Associate"
  • When you get a live agent, ask to be transferred to Customer Care or Platinum Line"
Old May 30, 2018, 5:46 am

Since I know the dates I would like for my Travel Package, would it be best I just go book it or at least wait till the new Categories for SPG shows up in June?

Also, is $170 plus tax per night a good redemption for category 6 certificate?
Old May 30, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
  • Call the Marriott Rewards phone number
  • Spam the 0 key until the "bot lady" decides to transfer you to an " Associate"
  • When you get a live agent, ask to be transferred to Customer Care or Platinum Line"
That is what I have been doing - pressing 0 like crazy until the bot lady gave up.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since I know the dates I would like for my Travel Package, would it be best I just go book it or at least wait till the new Categories for SPG shows up in June?

Also, is $170 plus tax per night a good redemption for category 6 certificate?
It is up to you to decide.

My Cat 6 cert used at SkyCity HKG is between HKD 1700 and 2200 + 10%

The property I am currently doing Plat Challenge stay is a Cat 7, yes, Cat 7, but the regular rate is $110 and AAA/Senior rate is 84 to 88. Now is a Cat 7 cert a good value there?

But that does not mean your value proposition is not there. You save cash outlay, dont you?
Besides the floater cert will be involuntary canceled and Marriott has chosen to remain silent on how many pts it will return.
We all know voluntary cancellation the Cat 5 cert gets 45K pts and each incremental category gets an additional 30K. Hence that would be the worst case scenario.

Last edited by Happy; May 30, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Old May 30, 2018, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
They currently give back 45,000 for a Cat 1-5 when you choose to cancel (which is the equivalent of Cat 1 x 6 nights) but I imagine there's zero chance this is what's refunded if Marriott cancels the cert at their choosing. This doesn't even give you the points to book 2 nights at a Cat 5.
Based on what you are saying, the safest, cheapest speculative buy would be to get a Category 6 package because there would be no way they could justify giving you less than 6*40K?
Old May 30, 2018, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Based on what you are saying, the safest, cheapest speculative buy would be to get a Category 6 package because there would be no way they could justify giving you less than 6*40K?
They absolutely can (and almost certainly will) justify giving a lower number of points. The airline miles have value too.

Currently, a redeposited Cat 1-5 cert gives 45K, and a redeposited Cat 6 cert gives 75K. The fact that 45K = 7.5K * 6 is likely a coincidence.

If you could redeposit a Cat 6 cert for 240K points, people would be continually buying Cat 6 packages, getting the miles, and redepositing the certs in order to get virtually limitless airline mile transfer at a 1:1 ratio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.