Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Yes, that was my point. You shouldn't have to, but Marriott has this rule about e-Certs in its T&Cs:

e-Certificates
3. e-Certificates will be available when the Rewards Program Member is staying at the hotel.
When you order a travel package, Marriott issues a 7-day cert. I don't believe the cert needs to be in the account owner's name, but it needs to be in the name of the person who will be staying at the hotel, and that person may actually have to have a Marriott Rewards account. That's where I think the OP may be running into an issue. It appears the cert might have been issued in his name and the hotel wants to see him there to use the cert. The hotel has a point, so the OP should call Marriott, explain the situation and see if they will put the cert in his family member's name.

In the past the OP seems to have relied on the "he's showing up later" trick, but once the hotel questions this, you are out of luck if the first guest does not show. As I've said many times, this happened to me. Yes, you can usually get away with the trick, but the second the hotel pushed, you're stuck.

My intent is not to imply that the poster did anything wrong. My intent is to show that we all get used to a certain shortcut but when it goes afoul and a hotel decides to enforce the Marriott rules we need to have it corrected by Marriott, not the hotel.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kkl
Applied a 7 night stay package certificate for JW Beijing for an immediate family member.

Family member name has been attached to reservation but they are not let them check in. Saying certificate only applies to account holder??

They want me to rebook the room using points instead of the certificate.
Was this part of a travel package with some miles going to your FF account?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by kkl
I had normally just attached the person as an additional guest. and has always worked fine.
Same with me, until the once when it didn't. So please join me in letting everyone know that this can happen. So many people think just adding a second guest solves everything, and usually it does, except when you run into the property/person who wants to follow the rule, then you're stuck. If you get an eCert, make sure it's in the right name. If you have an eCert that cannot be transferred, have a Plan B and be sure the person staying at the hotel knows this might happen.

I am sorry this happened to you, but I will admit it makes me feel a little less crazy that someone else posted this and everyone can see that while it might not happen often, it can happen.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was this part of a travel package with some miles going to your FF account?
It appears so, but that shouldn't matter. The T&Cs require the FF account belong to the person getting the package, but has no similar requirement for the hotel cert. Here are the complete T&Cs:

Travel Packages

1. All Rewards Program Rules apply.

2. Miles will be automatically transferred into the participating frequent flyer program account that matches the name on your Rewards Program Account.

3. Once processed, airline Miles cannot be transferred back to your Rewards Program Account.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've redeemed the 7-nighters for family members. I've always added them as Guest 2 and been completely transparent with the phone agent that I was gifting an award (usually to my wife or her parents). This has always been permitted and I've never been asked to open up additional MR accounts, transfer points/certs, or otherwise somehow make them Guest 1.

Frustrating that OP is running into an issue that completely should not be one. Or should be sorted out in a few minutes, max.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:06 pm

Do people currently think that 7-night certs will be more valuable (i.e. better selection of hotels) or less valuable (i.e. devaluation of locations, addition of higher categories) after Starwood properties are bookable?

I'm stuck trying to figure out if I should make at least one if not two 7-night trips happen before any potential merger or just wait until afterward when there are more desirable locations available. My biggest hesitation is that the certs could become less valuable if categories are added.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's all a guess as of now. It appears that the programs won't merge until 2019.

I'm not making any big assumptions - I'm redeeming two really good TPs in Spring 2018 and will have enough points left for maybe 1 more. If I had to make a total guess, I'd bet on the following:

- Marriott program structure survives the merger.
- They add a bunch of categories on the high end and normalize all Ritz, Starwood, and timeshare properties into one of those levels. Could go 15 deep.
- Existing Marriott hotels go through a big round of Category Creep. Today's 6's jump to 8's, etc.

So you get more locations and you get to redeem MR points at former SPG brands, but all of those hotels will come into the combined structure a level or two higher than what you thought they would.

If someone has a strong reason why the SPG structure will survive, I'd love to hear it.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:51 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Willbur
Do people currently think that 7-night certs will be more valuable (i.e. better selection of hotels) or less valuable (i.e. devaluation of locations, addition of higher categories) after Starwood properties are bookable?

I'm stuck trying to figure out if I should make at least one if not two 7-night trips happen before any potential merger or just wait until afterward when there are more desirable locations available. My biggest hesitation is that the certs could become less valuable if categories are added.
my wild guess is that it will initially look better when they start come up with some SPG CAT x = to Marriott CAT y as they are "merging". But once they all become just New Marriott CAT z, we will find we do end up need more points to stay at the same hotel today via some type of increase in the CAT itself (say incremental of 6K instead of 5K) or just less hotel in the lower CAT. But I do think/hope/wish the 1st will be better.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:55 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
It's all a guess as of now. It appears that the programs won't merge until 2019.

I'm not making any big assumptions - I'm redeeming two really good TPs in Spring 2018 and will have enough points left for maybe 1 more. If I had to make a total guess, I'd bet on the following:

- Marriott program structure survives the merger.
- They add a bunch of categories on the high end and normalize all Ritz, Starwood, and timeshare properties into one of those levels. Could go 15 deep.
- Existing Marriott hotels go through a big round of Category Creep. Today's 6's jump to 8's, etc.

So you get more locations and you get to redeem MR points at former SPG brands, but all of those hotels will come into the combined structure a level or two higher than what you thought they would.

If someone has a strong reason why the SPG structure will survive, I'd love to hear it.
Really you think 15? I hope they just have no more than 10 and just consolidate everything..
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur
My guess is it will be the opposite of whatever I do. Right now, I have no plans to purchase travel packages. Kinda like the grocery line that moves slowest is the one I'm not in. Same with TSA line. Hope that helps.
nsx and joshua362 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by t1c
Really you think 15? I hope they just have no more than 10 and just consolidate everything..
It was just a guess based on what they have today. I come up with 15 just adding them together and eliminating the duplicates.

Marriott has 12 right now. (Ritz Tier 1 and 2 are duplicates.)

Starwood has, roughly, 9 right now. (Roughly clumping the Maldives-type properties into a 60k/nt level and a 95k/nt level. I know it isn't this exact.)

Using the 3:1 ratio, Starwood 7 > Ritz Tier 5. So SPG 7 = MR 13, and the two "ultra premium" groups become 14 and 15.

Of course there may be some marketing psychology reasons for not actually having 15. It's certainly cleaner if there are fewer, but I know any consolidation or thinning out of the levels simply means a bunch of properties will jump up a category.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Lets say whatever it is, is not going to work out in the customer's favor. Marriott has minted far too many elites over the last 10 years and that has to eventually shake out beyond the lounge cutbacks and games with Breakfast that we've endured now.

Last edited by joshua362; Aug 28, 2017 at 10:15 am
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:10 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by joshua362
Lets say whatever it is, is not going to work out in the customer's favor. Marriott has minted far too many elites over the last 10 years and that has to eventually shake out beyond the lounge cutbacks and games with Breakfast that we've endured now.
It is possible they might change the lifetime levels and the hotel levels for this new program.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Is there a limit?

Is there a limit on the number of package I can redeem at any one time. I currently have 450K MR points and 300k starwood points. If I were to convert all of my *wood points, I can actually get 5 travel package at 270K a package. So, is there a limit on the number of travel package I can purchase at any one time?

Is it true the travel package will only be available til the end of Sept 2017? Or is it usually extended? Thanks..
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm not aware of a policy limit on the number of travel packages that can be redeemed at one time. Anecdotes on here indicate others have purchased 2-3 at a time. I haven't seen reports of anyone doing 5, though like I said, there's nothing in the terms to prevent it.

One limit is practical: The 7-night cert that's part of the package must be used within a year of purchase. MR has generally extended them for a second year when asked, though not more than that. And this extension is not a published benefit AFAICT -- which means MR could very well decline if you were to try to extend multiple packages at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.