Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by Saidoh
I thought so too, and was wondering where this came from. From the Travel Package page on the Marriott website:
"You’ll receive 10% more MileagePlus miles when you redeem for a Marriott Rewards Hotel + Air Package, up to 12,000 more miles. Your bonus miles are shown below. Discover all the advantages of RewardsPlus. And for a limited time, Gold and Platinum Elite members can enjoy complimentary United Signature Service℠ for two people when redeeming for one of these packages. Restrictions apply. Call Marriott Rewards Guest Services for more details when redeeming. Redemption for this limited-time offer ends September 30, 2017."

I read this as the Signature Service ending on 9/30 for Golds and Plats. So I agree, the wording seems to indicate the overall 10% bonus is a standard feature.
So, the United Signature Service that is valid only til 30th Sept? And not the 10% bonus points for United Airlines.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:55 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by SC Alum
So, the United Signature Service that is valid only til 30th Sept? And not the 10% bonus points for United Airlines.
Yes the 10% bonus is safe...
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:38 pm

In a few months I am going to redeem a 7 night cat 7 hotel stay I purchased as part of a WN TP in January 2017. Since this is the first TP hotel stay I have ever redeemed and my situation is a bit tricky I just wanted to be sure I am doing everything correct.

I plan on calling in December 2017 to extend the cert on year to January of 2019 and then booking my 7 night stay for October 2018.

The hotel I am going to book is the Marriott Key West which is a cat 9 hotel so I will need to add 60K points to my Cat 7 cert to make 270K points for the cat 9.

I would also like to upgrade to the Gulf View Presidential Suite which is 480K points so I will need to add another 210K points to the 270K for a basic room in a Cat 9.

Will the agent who books my reservation be able to take the Cat 7 cert, upgrade me to the Cat 9 hocert and also book the presidential suite ? It seems as if it should all happen when I book but I figured I would ask. Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by flyer4512
...The hotel I am going to book is the Marriott Key West which is a cat 9 hotel so I will need to add 60K points to my Cat 7 cert to make 270K points for the cat 9.

I would also like to upgrade to the Gulf View Presidential Suite which is 480K points so I will need to add another 210K points to the 270K for a basic room in a Cat 9...
Wow, I stayed there in 2013 at a Cat 5 on points. I believe its a former condo/timeshare so they are already suite like, I had a separate BR and a balcony overlooking the pool although it was too cold/windy to enjoy in early March. It's on opposite side of the Island from the action and overlooks the bridge into town.

I guess what I am saying is watch that you aren't overpaying on the points, especially for the Gulf View Presidential Suite unless you have to sleep a lot of people inside.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Wow, I stayed there in 2013 at a Cat 5 on points. I believe its a former condo/timeshare so they are already suite like, I had a separate BR and a balcony overlooking the pool although it was too cold/windy to enjoy in early March. It's on opposite side of the Island from the action and overlooks the bridge into town.

I guess what I am saying is watch that you aren't overpaying on the points, especially for the Gulf View Presidential Suite unless you have to sleep a lot of people inside.

I asked and the general consensus was the room you get for the base 270K is under 300 SF with one window in the interior, basically not a place you want to stay for 7 days.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...eachside-hotel

The hotel is just basic guestrooms ( like the one I described ) and 1, 2, and 3 BR suites............facing the interior or the Gulf. Ours would be a 1BR gulf view, ~1000 SF, Kitchen, balcony over looking the gulf..............if they gave these rooms out on cat 5 points back in the 2013 that was a great deal. I will have Gold status and was told by the hotel that my upgrade chances were slim to none as they always have a lot of Diamonds so if we book the base room expect to get the base room.

I'm pretty sure Marriott has had category point increases so combining those with the hotel itself going from a Cat 5 to a Cat 9 in 4 years seems crazy...............the cat 9 doesn't seem as high as the cat 5 did cheap if they were giving a week in a suite for what, 125 K points ?

Thanks for your reply

Last edited by flyer4512; Aug 30, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:43 am

Thanks for the detail, I was PLT / PLT P back then so probably got a free 1 BR upgrade plus it was the first year being a Marriott.

Tiny pool and sand "waterfront", the beach is not swimmable, it's basically a boating canal.

They did have a complementary van service to the airport and "downtown" on a regular basis but it stops early, like 10pm.

I recall a $15 daily parking fee but we arrived by the van and got a rental later on and there was really no checking / enforcement of the plentiful parking so did not pay it.

Had a blast over 5 nights.

Last edited by joshua362; Aug 31, 2017 at 8:09 am
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:41 pm

Thanks for the detail, I was PLT / PLT P back then so probably got a free 1 BR upgrade plus it was the first year being a Marriott.

Tiny pool and sand "waterfront", the beach is not swimmable, it's basically a boating canal.

They did have a complementary van service to the airport and "downtown" on a regular basis but it stops early, like 10pm.

I recall a $15 daily parking fee but we arrived by the van and got a rental later on and there was really no checking / enforcement of the plentiful parking so did not pay it.

Had a blast over 5 nights.
We would be using the hotel shuttle to/from the airport and to Duval, maybe Uber back to the hotel if it's late

Have you ever stayed in any other Marriott properties in KW ?

We have never been to KW and have a bunch of Marriott points so it seemed like the best hotel

Thanks
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:44 pm

No, don't think is another but I haven't checked since 2013.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I stayed at an FI when I was there for work a few years ago. IIRC, it was on the northeast side of the island. I couldn't imagine spending more than a night or two there, though.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Shouldn't this discussion be in Marriott Key West thread? @:-)

I come to this thread to read about Travel Packages.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:13 am

Sorry, our bad, you are right. Did not know they existed:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...y-west-fl.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ollection.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...tels-keys.html
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In a few months I am going to redeem a 7 night cat 7 hotel stay I purchased as part of a WN TP in January 2017. Since this is the first TP hotel stay I have ever redeemed and my situation is a bit tricky I just wanted to be sure I am doing everything correct.

I plan on calling in December 2017 to extend the cert on year to January of 2019 and then booking my 7 night stay for October 2018.

The hotel I am going to book is the Marriott Key West which is a cat 9 hotel so I will need to add 60K points to my Cat 7 cert to make 270K points for the cat 9.

I would also like to upgrade to the Gulf View Presidential Suite which is 480K points so I will need to add another 210K points to the 270K for a basic room in a Cat 9.

Will the agent who books my reservation be able to take the Cat 7 cert, upgrade me to the Cat 9 hocert and also book the presidential suite ? It seems as if it should all happen when I book but I figured I would ask. Thanks
This sounds like it should all work as you describe.

Only one minor detail: I *think* that when you call to extend a TP, they extend it to 1 year from the date of the phone call, not a full year added onto the end of the certificate. So if you call in Dec 17, your cert is then good through Dec 18.

Unless this has changed recently...
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I just did virtually the same thing. In fact, at one point I was even looking at the Key West Beach Marriott upgraded to a 3-bedroom unit. We ended up going with the Puerto Vallarta CasaMagna upgraded to an oceanfront suite instead. But I originally ordered the award as a Cat. 1-5, so I had to get it upgraded to a Cat. 7 and then order the requisite upgrade certs for the stay. I just called the Plat line and the agent took care of everything. ^

And while I didn't need to extend my cert beyond the 1st year, my understanding of how extending a cert works matches what pinniped stated. You get an extra year from the date you ask for the extension.

So I'd wait until at least January 2018 (or later if you can just in case you change your plans and need more time before you use the cert.)
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:33 pm

No, don't think is another but I haven't checked since 2013.
There are 5 Marriott properties in Key West but the Beachside seems the nicest if we opt for the upgrade...........if not the other properties seem the same or better.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:58 pm

Hi FT!

Anyone have success or have an opinion of if Marriott will let us do the following?

Marriott Vacation Club Owner - My father
Marriott Platinum - Me
Same last name

We are traveling together on a trip and would love to use my Marriott points on a vacation package, but really would like the 5 night voucher instead of the 7 night.

Will Marriott let us redeem a 5 vacation package on my account, using my points, under my name? Assuming my father is on the phone and we have provided both our Marriott account numbers?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.