Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Jaenks
AA have 25% bonus conversion promo until May 31st. Anyone got that top of the normal package miles when purchased travel package? In t&c were not written that travel packages are excluded.
The T and C states "Conversions for hotel and air packages from Hotel Partners are not included for this offer. "
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by nli007
The T and C states "Conversions for hotel and air packages from Hotel Partners are not included for this offer. "
Thx! I should have paid more attention what was written.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by nli007
The bonus had been available for travel packages previously but that option was removed recently.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rny321
The bonus had been available for travel packages previously but that option was removed recently.
I believe it’s the return of a previous limitation. I saw it before, several years ago. Nobody believed me back then...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:03 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
How long for transfer of miles with the flights+ miles package?

Waiting for a few days now to my aa account yet no miles yet...
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Managed to convince a Marriott supervisor to downgrade my Tier 5 cert to a Cat 8 and refund the 180k point difference even though conversions between Marriott and Ritz tiers are apparently not normally allowed. Looks like Ritz will be bookable for 60k/night as of August, but I suspect the Cat 8 hotel I've been looking at will end up increasing in price.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:59 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Managed to convince a Marriott supervisor to downgrade my Tier 5 cert to a Cat 8 and refund the 180k point difference even though conversions between Marriott and Ritz tiers are apparently not normally allowed. Looks like Ritz will be bookable for 60k/night as of August, but I suspect the Cat 8 hotel I've been looking at will end up increasing in price.
Yeah im a Ritz guy and some of them will be at the higher level in 2019... im gonna have to maximize this perk till the end of the year.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:22 am

So if a RC hotel is going down to 60,000 a night would we be safe in sticking with a Tier 1-3 package or should I upgrade to Tier 4-5 package (and hope for a refund of points).
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
I currently have a 1-5 Cat voucher that lasts until April 19. My intention before the changes was to upgrade it to a Cat 7 or 8 voucher and redeem for one of the hotels I wanted in that category in either Hawaii or Whistler (still making up my mind which trip to do). Does anyone have any idea as to what the best approach is? I.e. upgrade and book now, hold until Aug then book etc. Also, what is the policy on new package buys? Before or after Aug?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:28 am

When you guys opt to use a 7-night cert for only a 5-night stay, do you typically make a booking of 7 nights and just leave the hotel prior to your check-out date? Or do you make a booking of 5 nights and apply the cert towards that?

Surely it would be beneficial to do the former, given the extra elite nights you'd earn? Is there a chance of the hotel penalizing you when it finds out that you've bailed a few days earlier?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Wish I could be convinced to pull the trigger on one of these, but I have so many airline miles, which are hard to use, vs MR points, which even though capacity controlled, are easier to use.

seems like I’ll run out of MR points before airline miles.

and since I was ready planning a week at a Cat 6 next year, getting them at 60k vs 100k in the new scheme, and 105k in the old SPG (converters to MR) values, that trumps the boost from swapping MR points for airline miles.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
Wish I could be convinced to pull the trigger on one of these, but I have so many airline miles, which are hard to use, vs MR points, which even though capacity controlled, are easier to use.

and since I was ready planning a week at a Cat 6 next year, getting them at 60k vs 100k in the new scheme, and 105k in the old SPG (converters to MR) values, that trumps the boost from swapping MR points for airline miles.
Airline miles are much more valuable than Marriott points if you have travel flexibility and are using them for high-value redemptions (e.g., international business or first class travel). With the number of transfer partners Marriott has, you can often find some redemptions that you wouldn't be able to access if you were limited to your "home" airline program. That said, not everyone has that kind of flexibility or the desire to use the points in that manner.

I'm confused by your numbers though, or why you think your property is going from 60K (per night? per week?) to 100K.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by beachfan

Do agree that the packages may not be a good option for mile-rich person, but it's a best tool for me. Currently planing an Asia-Dubai-SFO Emrates A380 1st for my parents. Don't know why taking a shower on the flight is a big deal for them though. Only way I can reach the goal is TP to Alaska. 900K MR is definitely better than 15k cash.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by flyer05
When you guys opt to use a 7-night cert for only a 5-night stay, do you typically make a booking of 7 nights and just leave the hotel prior to your check-out date? Or do you make a booking of 5 nights and apply the cert towards that?

Surely it would be beneficial to do the former, given the extra elite nights you'd earn? Is there a chance of the hotel penalizing you when it finds out that you've bailed a few days earlier?
You must book a 7 night stay to use the 7 night certificate from travel package. You can just check in on the first day and check out anytime after that you will still be charged (with the 7 night certificate) for the full 7 nights. I don't think the hotels will care at all if you check out earlier cuz that is even better for them.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by musicscrip

You must book a 7 night stay to use the 7 night certificate from travel package. You can just check in on the first day and check out anytime after that you will still be charged (with the 7 night certificate) for the full 7 nights. I don't think the hotels will care at all if you check out earlier cuz that is even better for them.
Nope, you can book stays for less than 7 nights using the 7 night certificates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.