FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

texdoc May 2, 2013 8:02 am

It was transfer miles to US Air and get a 50% bonus. Many bought 120K mile travel packages and got 180K miles on US Air, hopefully to become AA Miles as well.

iztok May 3, 2013 6:58 am

Originally Posted by texdoc (Post 20686801)
It was transfer miles to US Air and get a 50% bonus. Many bought 120K mile travel packages and got 180K miles on US Air, hopefully to become AA Miles as well.

Ugh :/ So I just missed it. Should pay attention next time. :(

I could have used 160k miles for 3 FC on *A.

ryoung08 May 11, 2013 6:14 am

Marriott Hotel & Air Package Question - Sounds Like Very Good Deal

Hello FlyerTalk Brothers & Sisters,
I just stumbled across something I saw on the Marriott web page indicating I can turn in 270,000 MR points, if I am reading it correctly, for 7 nights and 120,000 points for Southwest (or what ever airlines you choose that participates in this). If this is correct, do these transferred points to SW count towards CP? If it does, than why would anyone ever transfer just the point (280,000 MR points) to SW (110,000 WN Points) get CP when they could get a 7 night + 120,000 WN points for the same amount? You feedback would be appreciated. The link for the Hotel & Air Package is below.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Mr. Vker May 11, 2013 9:33 am

You will find many in this forum (including myself) think this the best use of Marriott reward points. I have not used them to transfer to SWA, but I believe they do count towards CP. (just from reading threads on Flyertalk)

Try the search feature in this forum. "Travel package companion pass" or similar might yield some results.

I am sure others with better knowledge will chime in as well.

DavidBr May 11, 2013 9:53 am

I have done this before and the points have posted to Southwest as Companion Pass qualifying points (CPQP). If you order the package this year, you will have the companion pass through 12/2014. If you order it in January (under current rules), the expiration date should be 12/2015. Separately, the Marriott Rewards category changes scheduled for 5/16/13 mean that you should book the hotel portion of your package by 5/15 (if you're traveling in the next 50 weeks). You can always order the travel package after you make the reservation. Just order the package for the prior category and confirm all this with the reservations agent.

leewalk Jun 6, 2013 1:07 pm

Should I Use A 7ni Travel Package For 4ni Stay???

Hope to get some good advice and a check of my math. :)

I'd like to book a cat 6 hotel for 4 nights. I have two options:
- Use 120,000 points for 4 night stay
- Use 300,000 points for travel package with 120,000 united miles

I *think* the value of Marriott points is around 0.7 cents.
I *think* the value of United miles is around 1.2 cents (but can go up to 2.4 or higher with saver awards).

If I'm thinking about this correctly, the points option would mean I'm "spending" $840 in Marriott points. The travel package option would mean I'm "spending" $2100 in Marriott points but getting $1440 in United miles, for a net "spend" of $660.

Seems like the 7ni Travel package option is a better deal even if I use it for only a 4ni stay?

Does that sound right?

Thanks! Lee

Delta3MM Jun 6, 2013 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by leewalk (Post 20877463)
Hope to get some good advice and a check of my math. :)

I'd like to book a cat 6 hotel for 4 nights. I have two options:
- Use 120,000 points for 4 night stay
- Use 300,000 points for travel package with 120,000 united miles

I *think* the value of Marriott points is around 0.7 cents.
I *think* the value of United miles is around 1.2 cents (but can go up to 2.4 or higher with saver awards).

If I'm thinking about this correctly, the points option would mean I'm "spending" $840 in Marriott points. The travel package option would mean I'm "spending" $2100 in Marriott points but getting $1440 in United miles, for a net "spend" of $660.

Seems like the 7ni Travel package option is a better deal even if I use it for only a 4ni stay?

Does that sound right?

Thanks! Lee

Sometimes, the best economic decision is to pay for the 4 nights - that information is not in your analysis.

If you've already made your decision to spend 120K points for 4 nights (realizing that 5 nights costs you the same number of points), then your real question is: how much is 180K additional marriott points to you in exchange for 120K United miles.

If you really value marriott points at 0.7 cents per point, then the additional 180,000 * 0.007 = $1260, which is a bit more than one cent per united mile.

But going back to my first point, if 120K points are worth $840, then if you are paying less than $210 per night effective price (P - (P*20 + any bonus + 500) x 0.007) then it would be better to just pay for the room. If you also have gift cards that you've bought at a discount, this has to be factored into your actual cost.

For example, say the room is $275 per night without tax (we will ignore tax in this simple example), and assume you're Plat. Then if you paid for the room, you would get 275 * 4 *20 +500 = 22,500 points. If you're in the Summer Unexpected bonus, you could be getting an additional 2,000 points per nights for nights after 25. Those four nights could net you 8,000 points. So your effective cost is $1100 - 30,500 * 0.007 = $886. In this case it would be "cheaper" for you to use points. If the price were a bit lower, it might change the dynamics. Rarely do you see someone bent on using point trying to find the best price for a room. But I generally do.

Also, my value for the points is different than yours - I use them in a more high-value way. I also use discounted gift cards and any other trick I can. A discounted gift card would have pushed the above analysis into a different decision.

Billy

superpilot21 Jun 6, 2013 8:08 pm

Where are you going? Maybe I will show up for a free 3 day vacation?

haha.

PhillyPhlyer40 Jun 7, 2013 8:20 am

I have done this. I am MR rich and UA poor. To me, it makes sense as the points conversion would KILL you!

billycwhatup Jun 7, 2013 8:56 am

Why not redeem the package and also redeem a four night stay (using the seven night stay another time)?

crazyhorse Jun 7, 2013 9:07 am

LOL! That sounds like a really good idea. Why not try to trade the last 3 nights of your reservation on CC. Obviously it would take quite a bit for location/dates to align but worth a shot.

Originally Posted by superpilot21 (Post 20879545)

haha.

boss315 Jun 7, 2013 9:56 am

simple...no

jtp1947 Jun 7, 2013 10:12 am

Originally Posted by superpilot21 (Post 20879545)

haha.

Or buy a Marriott timeshare and redeem a 5 night package.

VA1379 Jun 7, 2013 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by billycwhatup (Post 20882087)
Why not redeem the package and also redeem a four night stay (using the seven night stay another time)?

That is what I would do, although I'd try for a five night stay since the fifth night is always free when you redeem four nights at one property.

d20513 Jun 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Anyone??