FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

MSPeconomist Jan 15, 2013 8:03 pm

You are aware, aren't you, that with the vacation package, you needn't use the hotel and airline miles for the same trip? You could use the miles for the flights you've identified but either split the hotel stay between two properties, pay with money for at least some points, use points from another hotel program or AmEx membership rewards, etc., and use the seven hotel nights at a later date, IIRC within a year.

dd992emo Jan 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20055351)
You are aware, aren't you, that with the vacation package, you needn't use the hotel and airline miles for the same trip? You could use the miles for the flights you've identified but either split the hotel stay between two properties, pay with money for at least some points, use points from another hotel program or AmEx membership rewards, etc., and use the seven hotel nights at a later date, IIRC within a year.

Oh yes, I understand most, if not all, of the alternatives. Some availability opened up today, so I sent emails to a couple of GMs asking for 7 consecutive days. I'll post my results. Thanks, all!

trekwars2000 Jan 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Upgraded room (on points) via Travel Packages

So if I want to book an upgraded room (via upgrade certs) can I do that in conjunction with a travel package?

For instance, instead of a Cat 6 and 120K UA miles for 300K MR points, can I book a room at the same hotel that will need "Marriott Rewards 5 Upgrade Certificates" and still take advantage of the package?

Thanks!

Mr. Vker Jan 27, 2013 3:18 pm

Yes you can. The cert covers the base room. You need additional points for the upgrade (or cash). In these cases, I like to book over the phone. I don't trust the "system" to attach everything properly. The Reservation folks do a good job with this.

PaulInTheSky Feb 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Category 8 versus RC Tier 1-5. in Travel Packages

I am thinking to get the packages with 350k points after I earned them. However, after I look at the list of all the hotels between Category 8 and Tier 1-3, it looks like Category 8 has more hotels to use, and they seem to have the better rates. For example, you can get to JW Marriott Hong Kong as Category 8, while Ritz will require you to redeem the Tier 5 package, yet Ritz only cost a bit higher if you pay in cash. However, the difference in points is 180k. Any suggestions? Even after the changes of the hotel list that was just announced this morning, it seemed like Catergory 7 or 8 packages seemed to give better value than Tier 1-3.

the4aces Feb 21, 2013 9:05 am

Question about travel package reward certificates

Yesterday I bought a cat 8 reward travel package. I want to travel in May 2014, but the certificates expire in Feb 2014. If I redeem prior to Feb 2014 will I still be able to use them in May? (I am planning to book as soon as the calendar opens up).

jtp1947 Feb 21, 2013 9:23 am

I have had my travel package certificate extended twice for a year each time. Just call in June or July of this year and ask to have it extended. It will be extended for one year from the date you call in.

the4aces Feb 21, 2013 9:30 am

Thanks for the info.

However, I want to go to London and all the cat 8 hotels are going to cat 9 :(. Do they let you upgrade for points? Or am I stuck with cat 8? I am hoping by May 16 the calander opens up and I can book a trip for next May.

If I book something earlier can customer service move it to May at a later date?

Ryan

jtp1947 Feb 21, 2013 9:48 am

Yes, you can upgrade with more points. I did that too, went from a cat 5 to a cat 7 and it cost me 35K points. Just call the elite Marriott line and request the category upgrade when you call to extend the expiration date.

hhoope01 Feb 21, 2013 9:53 am

To be able to get the lower category rewards rate, you have to make the award reservation before the new category level goes into effect. If your planned travel dates are beyond the normal reservation availabilty window, you are probably stuck with the higher category levels for the hotels.

You can always call MR or the hotel directly and see if they can manually book your reservation now (you don't have to have the cert in hand or the points make the reservation). If they can't or won't then there probably isn't much you can do. if you try to "move" your reservation after the fact, you will have to pay any award points difference if hotel has moved up a category. (This is due to "moves" really being delete existing reservation and then creating brand new reservation.)

BKKLEE Feb 21, 2013 4:58 pm

if you had used the search function, where this post belongs, you would have found that your question was answered previously.............
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-packages.html

Originally Posted by the4aces (Post 20290342)
Yesterday I bought a cat 8 reward travel package. I want to travel in May 2014, but the certificates expire in Feb 2014. If I redeem prior to Feb 2014 will I still be able to use them in May? (I am planning to book as soon as the calendar opens up).

flyerwife Feb 22, 2013 8:13 am

nevermind

ckpeter Feb 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Does anyone know if travel package redemption is eligible for points combination across accounts?

That is, if I have points in multiple accounts, can I pool those points together to redeem a single travel package?

hhoope01 Feb 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter (Post 20300509)
That is, if I have points in multiple accounts, can I pool those points together to redeem a single travel package?

Yes you can. I've combined points from my wife's and my account to get a TP award before with no problems.

BKKLEE Feb 22, 2013 8:27 pm

asked and answered in the positive both in this thread and others, however you are aware that you are limited to only 1 MR account, which you state herein that you are violating............
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi
and, "In the case of fraud or abuse involving the Rewards Program, Point credit, Miles credit, Reward use, or a participating hotel, the Company and its travel partners have the right to take appropriate administrative and/or legal action, including but not limited to revocation/cancellation of any Reward and/or termination of Rewards Program Membership, and all Miles or Points and certificates (“Certificates”) earned through the Rewards Program may be forfeited and any relevant Membership Account(s) closed."

Originally Posted by ckpeter (Post 20300509)
Does anyone know if travel package redemption is eligible for points combination across accounts?