FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

SanDiego1K Apr 28, 2001 10:44 am

Please advise novice on old 200K award

My situation: I was active in Marriott in the late '80s, but now only stay at a Marriott once a year or so. Thanks to FT, I've learned that the 200K award will be eliminated. I've been frantically reading in the Marriott forum. I am now throwing myself on your mercy for advice for my particular situation.

Should I try to get a 200k award before it is eliminated when I have no particular Marriott destination where I want to stay? In other words, am I better off to get the 120K UA or AA miles and turn the hotel cert back in for 50K Marriott miles - or should I let the points ride?

I have 180K Marriott miles. I have 4K AMEX points I could transfer. I could charge another 6K to AMEX by mid-June. I could either buy 10K miles ($200, right?)or I could try to get 5K for a Marriott visa and 5K for AT&T WorldNet service. (Would the visa points and AT&T points post in time?)

I've given you a lot of questions and a lot of variables. I appreciate any advice you can offer - and I'm happy to return the favor on the UA board.

bdschobel Apr 28, 2001 12:05 pm

The Marriott 200K award was voted best hotel award in existence, both in America and internationally, at this week's Freddies. I would grab one any way you can, before it goes the way of the dinosaurs on July 31. I got two in the last few months and don't have enough points for another, unfortunately.

Bruce

shadow Apr 28, 2001 5:01 pm

We're in the same boat...my wife has 260K in her account, I've got 190K in mine. We're definitely going to grab 1 of them, and I may use some of her points to get a second before they're gone.

We'll never see an award like that again. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

flyerwife Apr 28, 2001 8:12 pm

shadow,
you may be able to combine your account and your wife's account and go for the 714 award for 425,000 points which would give you the 4 tix (be sure to choose routing allowing you the maximum 60,000 miles x 4) and two 10 day certs instead of two 7 day certs. Check on the combining- I think they allow it.

sandiego1k,
hi! this award is a good one, you can order the certificate before you have any particular travel plans (just order by July 31, and cert is good for a year). They will ask which destination you want the airline miles for. Doesn't have to be where you are using the cert, just any destination in the world that has a Marriott. Pick your airline of choice and make sure your destination for air requires at least 60,000 miles for a coach economy ticket, that way you will get the most value for your points. Remember, the miles go right into your FF account (takes a week or 2) but your hotel cert must be used within a year of issue. Sure you and hubby can find time to take a nice week's vacation somewhere!

shadow Apr 29, 2001 9:10 pm

Thanks flyerwife!

Now another question...If we were to take the 714 award, is the cost to extend the hotel certs still $25? Also, if we turned one back in what would we get...50K points?

flyerwife Apr 29, 2001 11:33 pm

shadow,
I believe the cost is still somewhat minimal - $25, poss $35. You may only get a point return total of 12 1/2 % if you turn in one cert. I have never done this so I am honestly not sure. Others got 25% point return for 1 cert but this award gives 2 certs. Best bet is to either call Marriott (where unfortunately agents are totally bewildered about these things lately) or go to website and click on link for customer care email. It took about 2 weeks every time I emailed them but did get people who seemed more familiar with the correct answers to the questions than the res agents on the phone.

flyerwife Apr 29, 2001 11:35 pm

also, shadow
make sure they will allow you to redeposit or extend this cert, as this award is now essentially defunct.

msrohud Apr 30, 2001 5:53 am

Originally posted by shadow:
Thanks flyerwife!

Now another question...If we were to take the 714 award, is the cost to extend the hotel certs still $25? Also, if we turned one back in what would we get...50K points?

When I spoke to them last week, the rep stated that the certs would not be able to be extended, however, each of the hotel stays from the 714 could be turned back in for 106,250 points. (The hotel certs for the 713 are worth 50,000 points) The charge associated with this is dependent upon your level. Interestingly, he said if you turn in both of the hotel certs at the same time, you only incur one fee. The person that I spoke to was a rep over in owner (timeshare) services. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get the info in writing though via email!

dhacker Apr 30, 2001 7:39 am

If you turn in both 10 day certs from 714, you should have enough points to order a 713. So you can net 360k miles and a seven day stay for your original 425k points.

KathyP Apr 30, 2001 8:16 am

I have 396,000 Marriott reward points. I am going to transfer 4000 from Amer Exp membership rewards and order 2 713 awards. I am going to look on United & American web sites and check where they fly the furtherest like AUstralia or Japan call Marriott and order the certs and tell them to deposit points for one in United and the other in AMerican for the furthest distance possible. THen I am going to turn the hotel certs back in since I have no particular trips in mind at this point. That way I can ensure my mileage is there and I think American or United will probably go most places I am interested in visiting (Europe, Hawaii, Carribean)

dhacker Apr 30, 2001 8:35 am

KathyP:

You may want to transfer more Amex points and/or buy the points necessary to get to 425k.

Your plan will net you a max of 240k miles (Marriott will refuse to deposit more than 60k, regardless of distination). You will have 100k points in your account left over after redepositing the two 7-day certs.

By ordering a 714 for 425k and redepositing the two 10-day certs, then ordering a 713 and redepositing the 7 day cert, you will get 360k miles, plus 62,500 points left over.

snackyx Apr 30, 2001 12:55 pm

Think about two 200,000 miles vs. one 425,000 award. If you have any notion of usuing the hotel certificates (rather than turning them back in, which I believe does not give you as much value) remember that the hotel certificates are good at ONE hotel for seven or ten CONSECUTIVE nights. I was sold on the 425,000 award until I realized this very point. Will you have a need for two-ten nights stays at the same hotel? I opted for two (2) 200,000 point awards, garning a total of 240,000 American Advantage miles (which never expire) and two seven (7) night certificates (plus the phone card and 25% off Hertz times 2). This just gives you a bit more leeway in their use and not have to commit to ten consecutive nights at one location. To boot, the combined award were 400,00, not 425,000. The lesson: if you are not going to use the ten night stay, go for the 200,000 award twice. Any unused nights of the hotel certificates just go drifting off into the ozone--you cannot roll them over to another stay at another property. I am sure Marriott has made out nicely with the number of never redeemed nights on these long stay certifiactes.

Re: extending the hotel certificates, a Marriott rep told me within the last 2 weeks that they can be extended for a year for a nominal fee. I believe others have done the math on this board and turning the certificates back in is a reduced value vs. actually using them.

KathyP Apr 30, 2001 1:31 pm

Per conversation with very nice Marriott rewards rep today. If you return a unwanted hotel cert under taken uncer a 713 award they will credit you back 50,000 reward pts. If you return the 2 10 awards under the award that takes 425,000 pts (can't rememeber the number) they will credit you back 106,000 points. The hotel certificates which are good for 1 year from date of issue cannot be renewed or extended since these awards are going away. The one good thing that they can now do is to credit the frequent flyer miles to a FF account # in someone else's name. THe rep I spoke to said that it costs $15.00 to do this because it involves a manual posting transaction but that will allow the Marriott points that we transfer to FF miles to be credited to my FF #'s at the airlines which already have mileage in them rather than having to open a entire new FF # in my husband's name. THe airlines will not let you combine mileage in 2 different FF # accounts for awards.

dhacker Apr 30, 2001 2:08 pm

KathyP,

Please clarify. I have had others tell me that the 10 night certs are worth 106k points EACH. If it's really, 53k each, then I would retract my earlier comments because it wouldn't be possible to do a 714 followed by a 713 on essentially the same 425k points.

msrohud Apr 30, 2001 2:40 pm

Originally posted by dhacker:
KathyP,

Please clarify. I have had others tell me that the 10 night certs are worth 106k points EACH. If it's really, 53k each, then I would retract my earlier comments because it wouldn't be possible to do a 714 followed by a 713 on essentially the same 425k points.

EACH 10 day certificate is worth 106,250 points. Divide the 425,000 points by 4. Each set of 2 tickets are valued at 106,250 points (you get 2 "sets") and each 10 day cert is worth 106,250. At least that's how the rep I talked to said it worked.

KathyP Apr 30, 2001 2:47 pm

THe Marriott rewards rep I spoke to today was extremely nice and very knowledgeable (he didn't have to keep putting me on hold to check for answers). He stated very clearly that hotel cets ordered under the old 713, 714 etc. programs CANNOT be renewed or extended since those awards are going away. If you return the hotel portion of a 713 you get 50,000 points credited back, If you return both 10 day hotel certs under the 714 they will credit you back exactly 106,250 points for returning both certs. Now I have a question. dhacker states that Marriott will not deposit more than 60,000 miles per person (120,000 for 713 reward) no matter what. Are you sure about this? According to the American AIrlines Advantage chart it takes 65,000 FF miles for a "Plan Ahead Coach Seat" to Japan. That is as few FF miles as you can get away with unless you want to be put in a crate in the baggage compartment. Are you sure that if you tell Marriott that you are going to Japan on Maserican they will only give you 120,000 FF miles???

dhacker Apr 30, 2001 3:19 pm

I am 100% certain about the cap of 60k miles per ticket. Many people have tried to press this issue with Marriott Rewards to no avail. I'm sure you can find many posts to that effect by using FT's search feature.

I suggest someone call back about the issue of whether the 106k point refund is for one cert or two. My information may be wrong, but since it comes from multiple sources, I think it is more likely that the rep KathyP spoke with was mistaken. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. But if I'm right, it could be very profitable for some of you fortunate enough to have those big balances!

dhacker Apr 30, 2001 3:23 pm

I should also add that when I first heard about it, I thought the information must be wrong. It seemed unlikely that they would give 50k for redeposit of a 7-night cert but more than twice that for a 10-night cert.

msrohud Apr 30, 2001 3:27 pm

Imagine that! Two different reps telling us two different things! Hhhhmmmmm, maybe we need to email and get the answer in writing?

flyerwife Apr 30, 2001 3:53 pm

That's exactly what Marriott did to me. I ordered a 713 reward and told them I would be using it for 2 rt coach economy tix on Delta to Guangzhou, China for which Delta requires 80,000 miles. Marriott does have a location right in Guangzhou. They went back and forth on this with me, giving various excuses, but ultimately the final word from Marriott was that 60,000 miles per ticket was the maximum they would give. Have not heard of any instances on this board where more were given.

gatorboy May 1, 2001 12:13 pm

Originally posted by msrohud:
EACH 10 day certificate is worth 106,250 points. Divide the 425,000 points by 4. Each set of 2 tickets are valued at 106,250 points (you get 2 "sets") and each 10 day cert is worth 106,250. At least that's how the rep I talked to said it worked.

That's not quite correct - but the calculation is along the same lines. For either the 713 or the 714 the hotel portion is worth one fourth of the total required points - 50,000 is one fourth of 200,000 and 106,250 is one fourth of 425,000. That's how they do the calculation so its 106,250 for both certificates not each certificate.

bagold May 1, 2001 1:08 pm

Originally posted by dhacker:
I should also add that when I first heard about it, I thought the information must be wrong. It seemed unlikely that they would give 50k for redeposit of a 7-night cert but more than twice that for a 10-night cert.
I have first-hand experience at redepositing the 2x10 night hotel certificates. EACH 10-night hotel certificate is worth 106,250 points.

This is an example of what is shown on your on-line statement:

3/27/01 970 TRAVEL PACKAGE REWARD
Partial Award Credit 106,250

3/27/01 970 TRAVEL PACKAGE REWARD
Partial Award Credit 106,250

Originally posted by snackyx:
The lesson: if you are not going to use the ten night stay, go for the 200,000 award twice. Any unused nights of the hotel certificates just go drifting off into the ozone--you cannot roll them over to another stay at another property. I am sure Marriott has made out nicely with the number of never redeemed nights on these long stay certifiactes.
If you are not going to use the 2x10 night hotel certificate, then you should issue the 425k award, bank your 240,000 air miles. Redeposit your 2x10 night hotel certificate. Get 212,500 Marriott points back and then issue the 200k award. That will give you a total of 360,000 miles and a more usable 7 night hotel certificate.

shadow May 1, 2001 1:28 pm

dhacker & bagold, that's a great piece of info! Thanks to both of you. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Now, how quickly will the 2 certs be redeposited in the account? Since the end of the program is 7/31, is there time to still complete both transactions?

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 05-01-2001).]

bagold May 1, 2001 9:42 pm

Originally posted by shadow:
dhacker & bagold, that's a great piece of info! Thanks to both of you. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Now, how quickly will the 2 certs be redeposited in the account? Since the end of the program is 7/31, is there time to still complete both transactions?

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 05-01-2001).]

shadow, you will need around 10 days to receive the package, and then around 2 weeks after you send it back to have the points redeposited. You should have enough time depending on when you have the 425k (assuming you don't have it yet).

shadow May 2, 2001 9:19 am

Just got off the phone with Nicole @ Marriott CS. The award info I got was as follows:

* Can pool points from our accounts, but we both need to sign an affadivit. I can't get the form until I call back with my wife's MR number. Then they mail it for us to sign & return. Then the award will be issued.

* Hotel awards for 714 can be redeposited for 106,250 points EACH.

* Fee to return hotel awards is $20.

I'm going to call back later with my wife's account number and ask the same questions again. I'll let everyone know if I get any different answers...

Part II (the second call)

This CSR was much nicer & far more helpful.
She said as long as I had my wife's account # she could fill out the form NOW & fax it to me immediately (the other CSR said it HAD TO BE MAILED). We just need to sign, select which airline and fax it back. She said the miles should be deposited in 10-14 days.

* Confirmed 106,250 pts. per cert for redeposit.

* Confirmed $20 fee.

Another question I forgot to ask the first time was...Can the airline miles be split between 2 carriers? I was told they could NOT be split, must all go to same FF account.

I guess that covers everything...now I just need to deal with all of the transactions.

(edited to add Part II)

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 05-02-2001).]

MileKing May 2, 2001 12:05 pm

Are the Hertz 25% discount awards contained in MR awards 713 & 714 good for a fixed number of rental days or can you use them for a rental of any length?

flyerwife May 2, 2001 1:13 pm

My 713 Hertz certificate says "25% off a Hertz rental for up to eight (8) days on select car classes at participating corporate airport locations in the US & Europe"."Certificates are non-transferable and must be used for consecutive rental days and will be deemed fully used once a rental has begun". "...not to be combined with any other certs, promos, discounts, or special rates".
Othrer than that, I don't see anything specifically prohibiting you from renting the car for a longer period of time.

IM4Travel May 2, 2001 1:36 pm

You can rent the vehicle for any length of time...but the 25% discount will only apply up to 8 days...I think this better answers his question.

shadow May 2, 2001 2:01 pm

See my post above for 'the rest of the story'.

MileKing May 2, 2001 2:43 pm

Shadow, if you can return the hotel certs for over 212K points, award 714 is an incredible deal! Imagine 240K miles for 213K MR points.

dhacker May 2, 2001 2:49 pm

It's not so hard to see why they needed to make changes.

IM4Travel May 2, 2001 3:01 pm

MileKing....this has long been known by most of us that are heavy Marriott stayers...that was the absolute BEST award in the industry and if used correctly(360K miles and a 7-day cert and still points left over)...one could make out very well.

KathyP May 9, 2001 1:07 pm

I wanted to re-open this topic becasue I posted here in April concerning the # of points that Marriott would credit you back if you returned both 10 day hotel certs that come as part of the 714 reward that is 425,000 points. THe rep i spoke to then said yoou get 106,250 points back for returning both 10 day certs. I checked again today and got a different rep with a different story. She said 212,500 points back for returning both 10 day certs. So I am going to do as suggested. ZTransfer 19000 points from AMEX Membership rewards into Marriott acct to reach the 425,000 level. Order the 425,000 point award. Get enough mileage for 4 RT's to greatest distance I can get credited. Return the 2 day hotel certs. Get my points back and then order a 713 reward and then turn the hotel portion of that back for 50,000 points creidt.

shadow Jun 28, 2001 6:07 am

Update:
The first portion of my 714/713 transaction is complete. Received 240K DL miles & hotel/car certs, along with an AT&T 100 Minute Phone Card.

Returned the 10 day Hotel certs & just got 212,500 credited back in my MR account. Will request 713 Award now for 120K more miles and will keep the 7 day hotel cert for a future vacation stay.

cat333 Jun 28, 2001 10:58 am

That is great, but I do have a 'quick' question ---

If you received AA miles did they post as miles or bonus miles?

shadow Jun 28, 2001 9:26 pm

cat...see http://www.flex.com/~dmk/marriott/ for the Award Chart.

I'm fairly sure AA miles DO NOT post as status miles if that's what you're asking. If any airline did that they would have too many instant top-tier flyers (but it's sure fun to dream about). They should count towards MM status on AA.

RLymburner Jun 29, 2001 8:40 am

I'm such an idiot, someone straighten me out. If I fail to use the 713 award (200k points), only 50k goes back into my MR account correct? Do they still transfer 120k into airline of my choice? I'm willing to gamble 30k miles but not 150k.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by KathyP:
If you return the hotel portion of a 713 you get 50,000 points credited back, </font>

Dave M Jun 29, 2001 8:55 am

The 120k FF miles go into your airline account within a week or so of requesting your award. End of story on FF miles. They are yours to do with as you wish and when you wish.

Separate from that, you get 50k MAR points back by returning the hotel certificate. No impact on your FF miles by returning the hotel certificate.

RLymburner Jun 29, 2001 12:00 pm

Excellent, thank you for the reply.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dave M:
The 120k FF miles go into your airline account within a week or so of requesting your award. End of story on FF miles. They are yours to do with as you wish and when you wish.

Separate from that, you get 50k MAR points back by returning the hotel certificate. No impact on your FF miles by returning the hotel certificate.
</font>

DKM Jul 1, 2001 8:19 pm

I just redeemed the 714 award and had the AA miles (240,000)post as bonus miles. I paid $15 to have the award fed exed and the miles posted in 3 days. I returned the hotel portion at the same time and had that posted (212,500 points) in 3 days as well. As with the others, I'll now cash in the 713 for 120,000 more miles. Sweet! :-)