FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

tomsam Dec 2, 2012 11:11 am

Originally Posted by sophiemish (Post 19665244)
Yes, you can cancel the hotel portion of the package. I got a package with 100K miles and 5 nights in a cat 1-5 hotel. I didn't need the hotel at the time. I was only interested in the miles. I didn't think I was going to use the hotel cert. so they offered me 20,000 pts for forfeiting the hotel cert. However, in the end I paid the pt difference (between the one package to another package) and upgraded to a cat 6 cert. If you're a Marriott owner, there is a separate chart with the travel packages (you can find it once you log on to ownerservices.com) that offer 5 night stays.

Welcome to FT sophiemish!

Do any non-owners have experience with requesting/booking a 5 night TP? Yes, I'll call Guest Services to check during the week, but wanted to see if non-owner people have any experience booking TPs other than the 7-day variety?

Delta3MM Dec 2, 2012 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by tomsam (Post 19782386)
Welcome to FT sophiemish!

Do any non-owners have experience with requesting/booking a 5 night TP? Yes, I'll call Guest Services to check during the week, but wanted to see if non-owner people have any experience booking TPs other than the 7-day variety?

They ask for your owner ID number.

Billy

Time traveller Dec 3, 2012 1:34 pm

Has anyone used the discount rental car portion of this package? Is it a useful discount or do people mainly throw away this part of the package?

Mr. Vker Dec 3, 2012 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller (Post 19789115)
Has anyone used the discount rental car portion of this package? Is it a useful discount or do people mainly throw away this part of the package?

I have priced it, but find Hertz to still be expensive. Works fairly easy. Just put the coupon code in when doing your reservation.

piyush Dec 4, 2012 2:31 am

I've never been able to save money using the Hertz coupon. I am always available to find better rates by just searching a little.

holtju2 Dec 4, 2012 3:43 am

Useless.

yul lite Dec 4, 2012 5:05 am

I have found the Hertz coupon useful for car rentals in Europe. The coupon code rates were better in Amsterdam, Milan and Toulouse than any other options I found (including Autoeurope and other brokers).

Do take full print outs of the reservations details and price breakdown. Every time the desk agents have been unable to get the rates right without some kind of manager stepping in to override it through.

hindukid Dec 5, 2012 5:13 pm

Combining points: do you need to do dummy reservations?

What I would like to do is combine points from four accounts into one to redeem a travel package.

I know that I can make dummy reservations three times and have B, C, & D make transfers to A and then cancel the reservations. What I am wondering is if I can just skip the charade, be honest and have B, C & D fill out the transfer form.

GoPhils Dec 5, 2012 6:46 pm

I have no idea how it works when combining several different accounts (didn't even know you could do that), but when I did this earlier this year combining with 1 other account, they would only give me enough points to get the award (and thus had to make a dummy reservation).

hhoope01 Dec 5, 2012 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils (Post 19803923)
... they would only give me enough points to get the award (and thus had to make a dummy reservation).

This has been my experience as well.

BKKLEE Dec 6, 2012 4:31 am

because the transfer is LIMITED to events like combining for an award.........

Originally Posted by hindukid (Post 19803487)
What I would like to do is combine points from four accounts into one to redeem a travel package.

I know that I can make dummy reservations three times and have B, C, & D make transfers to A and then cancel the reservations. What I am wondering is if I can just skip the charade, be honest and have B, C & D fill out the transfer form.

BigLar Dec 9, 2012 7:28 pm

I had some points from my wife's account poured into mine for a defined award. But I was under the impression that combining accounts like this could only be done with a spouse or some other plausibly-related member.

If anyone can do it, this would seem to open up a whole vista for Coupon Connection types, and I suspect is not what Marriott intended.

welookgood.com Dec 13, 2012 9:12 am

Redeeming Pts for Hotel + Air?

Found Marriott website for hotel pts + airline mile redemption

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

1-Is it a good value to do or am I better off just doing hotel rewards?

Since I booked it at 10 night (not realizing this exist and it's7 nights) my ratio would be 170k Marriott Pts for 120k United

Horace Dec 13, 2012 10:04 am

The Travel Packages can be an excellent use of Marriott Rewards points. In fact, they can be the best use.

As the chart shows, Travel Packages are for 7 nights. Marriott Vacation Club members have the additional option of getting 5-night Travel Packages.

With a Travel Package, you get a 7-night hotel e-certificate and airline points deposited to one of your frequent flyer accounts. (Unfortunately, American Airlines is no longer an airline option, but that's another story.) You don't have to use them for the same trip.

As always when using points, there are great values and not-so-great values. But, in the end, what really matters is getting a great vacation, not necessarily maximizing the equivalent dollar value of your use of points.

tomsam Dec 26, 2012 5:29 am

Experience booking a Travel Package

Booked my first travel package and it was a smooth experience. I called Marriott Plat reservations line on 24 Dec am to book a 270K TP (7 nights at a cat 5 + 120K United miles). The CSR quickly booked the specific hotel I was looking for, and took my United Mileage Plus number. I was a bit concerned that the miles could take up to 6 weeks to post based on Marriott T&C (T&C also state this can be expedited - fees may apply). When I asked the CSR how long the miles would take to post, she confidently said within 48 hours. I was pleasantly surprised. It's 26 Dec am, and I checked this morning and found the 120K miles in my United MP account.
Nice experience on what many on these boards would consider top point redemption value for MR points!