FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

BKKLEE Nov 16, 2013 9:47 pm

how dare you bring logic and facts to a FT argument :D:D

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 21798002)
I guess I'm missing something here.

I think your point is that with a TP award you are "essentially" converting 50K points into 60K miles. Correct? If so, note that a straight transfer of points to miles would normally require 140K MR points to get 50K miles (or 60K with the bonus.) So the TP award provides a fairly nice savings considering you are getting both the hotel award and the miles.

Also, you picked the lowest miles option for a TP award. The big benefit of this award is getting the airline miles at a 1-to-1 points-to-miles ratio. Thus the biggest benefit would be seen when converting 270K points into 120K miles (145K with the 25K bonus.)

If you tried to do a straight points to miles convertion, it would take about 350K MR points to get that same 120K miles. And don't forget that a straight convertion does NOT includes any hotel award certs. So the top end TP award saves 80K points PLUS throws in a nice 7 night hotel award.

HMPS Nov 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 21798002)
I guess I'm missing something here.

I think your point is that with a TP award you are "essentially" converting 50K points into 60K miles. Correct? If so, note that
<snipped>
saves 80K points PLUS throws in a nice 7 night hotel award.

+1
Never seen a 1:1 MR (Marriott) to airline mile conversion.

Please PM me if there ever is such a conversion. I will be able to do a RTW in F.Handsome gift for you in that.

Mr. Vker Nov 17, 2013 8:05 am

deleted--repeated someone else's post

johnep1 Dec 9, 2013 1:20 pm

Is it possible to transfer the already booked nights portion of a travel package?

All -

I booked a travel package last April for travel in April 2014. Is it possible to transfer the hotel portion of the package to someone else?

Thank you.

BKKLEE Dec 9, 2013 1:27 pm

unless you're seeking speculative answers, IMO the way to get the correct answer to this question is to ask MR as what others did, or did not, do previously does not necesarily mean it can still be done today...........it ONLY takes a phone call...........less time then posting this question here...

BTW, from previous posts, the hotel portion of the pkg has been known to be extendable for an additional year (at least one poster says done twice - ie. 2 yrs)......., but then again, this takes the effort of using the phone......

Originally Posted by johnep1 (Post 21933516)
All -

I booked a travel package last April for travel in April 2014. Is it possible to transfer the hotel portion of the package to someone else?

Thank you.

johnep1 Dec 9, 2013 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 21933579)
unless you're seeking speculative answers, IMO the way to get the correct answer to this question is to ask MR as what others did, or did not, do previously does not necesarily mean it can still be done today...........it ONLY takes a phone call...........less time then posting this question here...

BTW, from previous posts, the hotel portion of the pkg has been known to be extendable for an additional year (at least one poster says done twice - ie. 2 yrs)......., but then again, this takes the effort of using the phone......

Thank you for the reply. I am used to USAir, where phone agents don't always have the right information, so I try to find the answer before I call.

BKKLEE Dec 9, 2013 1:46 pm

must be several MR reps that took lessons over at USAir (or have they renamed the airline to AA yet?) as they don't always give you the correct info either, however if you ask for an extension (for another year) you'll see the update in your Marriott.com window as the expiration date will then show 4/2015 vrs 4/2014.......

Originally Posted by johnep1 (Post 21933622)
Thank you for the reply. I am used to USAir, where phone agents don't always have the right information, so I try to find the answer before I call.

zakami Dec 29, 2013 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by tomsam (Post 20997989)
I only recently discovered that I could make a reservation for someone else using my points.
Yesterday I did this as part of a travel package - booked a 7-night cat 4 reservation for my wife + got 120000 United mileageplus miles in MY account for 270,000 MR points ^

Can I make a reservation for someone else with the miles also going into their account?

gv111 Dec 30, 2013 9:29 am

Originally Posted by zakami (Post 22048339)
Can I make a reservation for someone else with the miles also going into their account?

Probably not. A possible way of doing this is to transfer Marriott points into other person's (B) Marriott account and then redeem the package from B's Marriott account.

TravelersWife Dec 31, 2013 11:40 am

Originally Posted by zakami (Post 22048339)

I would call and ask on this. A couple years ago, we offered my parents a travel package - (gasp, they turned it down). I called before making the offer and Marriott Rewards said we could do that. Mr. TravelersWife has been plat. premier for several years and is lifetime plat. so I don't know if that helped - but I thought the answer sounded like it was no big deal, as long as the other party is getting the whole package.

rthib Feb 24, 2014 9:51 am

AA 25% Bonus, not good for travel package

Got email that AA is giving 25% on hotel conversions.

T&C exclude hotel and air packages.

Conversions for hotel and air packages from eligible AAdvantage hotel participants are excluded from this offer.
Details at:
http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...&_locale=en_US

travelsg Feb 24, 2014 2:25 pm

That's a decent offer. Wish AS is offering this as well... ;)

gv111 Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by travelsg (Post 22409285)
That's a decent offer. Wish AS is offering this as well... ;)

AFAIK, AS has not offered such a bonus in last 3-4 years. So it is unlikely to offer it in future.

Volvic Feb 25, 2014 3:43 am

Math 20% discount= 25% bonus

With this 25% AA conversion bonus, MR points are providing the same exchange ratio of United Plus.

AA
70K MR points -> 25K AA miles + 25% , i.e grand total 31,25K (2.24 point per mile) (70/31,25)

UA
56K MR points -> 25K UA miles , also here 2.24 points per mile (56/25)

Flapster Mar 3, 2014 4:49 am

Marriott Travel Packages - Help

Hi

I'm a relatively long-time hoarder of points, and am now looking to redeem some of them for travel packages, as I understand that's the best value for points.

When I go onto the travel packages part of the site, and click 'view', it doesn't let me select anything - the first step is 'select quantity' but I can't do that.

Can anyone help / point me to where I'm going wrong?

Also, my search of this forum didn't reveal anything - is there a decent FAQ thread?

TIA