Marriott Travel Packages

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Slickw
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART


Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
************
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

 
Old Aug 16, 18, 8:57 pm
  #5386  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: WAS
Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Posts: 89
Has anyone been able to cancel a certificate for the surrender value recently? Most recent data points I've seen were just of people being unable to.
shutter41 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 10:43 pm
  #5387  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Posts: 1,790
Ok now I finally made my mind about what to do with my 4 travel package certificates: Upgrade/Downgrade them so that all of them are Category 7

The reason is that it's a safe bet:
  • Legacy Category 7 maps perfectly to New Category 5 at 35,000/night hotels
  • New Category 5 includes a decent selection of mid-range and up hotels in my desired destinations: Japan, Hawaii (Residence Inn and Courtyards and Western Europe.

If Marriott does an "at par" conversion, I will end up with New Category 7 certificates, which will be all gravy
MasterGeek is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 11:09 pm
  #5388  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: HSV
Programs: Hy Dia,Choice Dia,MR Plt,PCR Plt,HH Gd, SPG Gd,Carlson Sil, CO Plt, UA Prem Exec, DL FO, Hertz #1GD
Posts: 1,096
Anyone successful combining with a non address matching account lately?
Wanting to combine with my gf for tp but our addresses don’t match
stallion114 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 11:30 pm
  #5389  
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,733
Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post
Ok now I finally made my mind about what to do with my 4 travel package certificates: Upgrade/Downgrade them so that all of them are Category 7

The reason is that it's a safe bet:
  • Legacy Category 7 maps perfectly to New Category 5 at 35,000/night hotels
  • New Category 5 includes a decent selection of mid-range and up hotels in my desired destinations: Japan, Hawaii (Residence Inn and Courtyards and Western Europe.
If Marriott does an "at par" conversion, I will end up with New Category 7 certificates, which will be all gravy
I just feel like we pay too much attention to the points. We get greedy.

The Marriott travel package is a really good deal and we all gain on the hotel stays. We should enjoy the best we can and worry less about the points. Sure if all the 4 Cat-7 properties fit your vacation plan, that is great. But I can't imagine myself or my family to stay 4 consecutive 7-day vacations all at the same level of mid-level properties. The TPs may not get renewed after the MR/SPG merger. So you may have to take 4 7-day vacations within one year.

Instead of 4 Residence properties, I may want to stay at two at Cat-9 level resort, and two Cat-5 or 6 hotels.... It is just me.
MasterGeek likes this.
RedSun is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 11:31 pm
  #5390  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,514
Originally Posted by stallion114 View Post
Anyone successful combining with a non address matching account lately?
Wanting to combine with my gf for tp but our addresses don’t match
Address Matching not required for Marriott points transfer. It is SPG that required to be match for 30 days.
alc is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 11:38 pm
  #5391  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Posts: 1,790
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
I just feel like we pay too much attention to the points. We get greedy.

The Marriott travel package is a really good deal and we all gain on the hotel stays. We should enjoy the best we can and worry less about the points. Sure if all the 4 Cat-7 properties fit your vacation plan, that is great. But I can't imagine myself or my family to stay 4 consecutive 7-day vacations all at the same level of mid-level properties. The TPs may not get renewed after the MR/SPG merger. So you may have to take 4 7-day vacations within one year.
There are some nice ex-SPG properties that will become available at the New Cat 5 (old Cat 7 level). One example is the The Westin Miyako Kyoto. And yes, I'm lucky to have enough vacation to use the 4 7-night certificates
cruisr likes this.
MasterGeek is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 11:41 pm
  #5392  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 7
So upset with Marriott for forcing me to make plans I am not able to make or else loose my hard earned points! Truely pissed and they are stressing me out! Hilton is looking great nowadays!
MasterGeek likes this.
Ssaasshhaa is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 1:24 am
  #5393  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 16,651
Originally Posted by Ssaasshhaa View Post
So upset with Marriott for forcing me to make plans I am not able to make or else loose my hard earned points! Truely pissed and they are stressing me out! Hilton is looking great nowadays!
How will you 'loose' [sic] your points? TPs aren't being invalidated.
dsquared37 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 1:30 am
  #5394  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,173
i quit hilton after peak pricing ruined their redemptions...marriott will follow suit, it will just take them longer...once the catagorys go away and its all based on whatever the hotel feels like charging, there is no bargain...like the beach hotel that charges peak rates all year except for a month during hurricane season and during that time they have 1 "standard" room near the broom closet for low season point awards, and it is rented to the janitor every third day so you cant book 4 days in a row......this is the start of the slide, take over the competition and gut their points programs, then devalue for a couple of years until your loyalty program is in the pit of misery...dilly dilly
wise2u is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 1:35 am
  #5395  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,173
with the new award costs, i guess we could see a 150k-200k bonus on the new credit cards....otherwise it will take a lot of stays and a couple of years worth of saving to get a midrange travel package.......not that anyone will want them after the rate hike.
wise2u is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 3:45 am
  #5396  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: AA, United, Delta, Marriott, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 41
Domes of Elounda

People who are making the reservation at Domes of Elounda which is a present category 9 (45k) and would peak to 85k using the travel certificate.

Did anyone notice this language in the Cancellation policy.

Holding Your Reservation

  • We will need a credit card prepayment to reserve your room. To ensure that you receive this special rate, we will charge your credit card a prepayment of 258.92 EUR when you make your reservation.
Cancelling Your Reservation
  • You may cancel your reservation for no charge until April 5, 2019 (30 day[s] before arrival).
  • Please note that your prepayment for this special rate is non-refundable.

So if you ultimately do not stay at this property and cancel your reward certificate, the 258.92 EURO would be billed no matter what.
maxcalls is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 6:37 am
  #5397  
soy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DUB-BOS
Programs: mostly hotel status, more mercenary with airlines
Posts: 2,593
Had 2 x Cat6, but given the uncertainty about how they map have just upgraded one to a Cat7. There are lots of places I like at the 35k rate.
Hopefully the Cat6 will map to the same Cat in the new program, but even if it doesn't I will still be able to make use of that, so basically just trading in a bit of potential upside for some certainty
soy is online now  
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:20 am
  #5398  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Programs: Marriott LTPP, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG Plat
Posts: 118
Yes, I know that I waited until T-1 to decide what to do, but when I did go to redeem two Cat 1-5 TPs this morning, from start to finish on the telephone it was just under 8 minutes. That included perhaps two minutes for the lovely agent to hunt-and-peck a couple of times and ask me twice for FF airline number and which Cat redemption, as she followed what seemed to be some on-screen help. Pleasant and prompt experience. Glad I let "everyone else" get ahead of me and took the August 17 decision path!

Last edited by BlaiseBOS; Aug 17, 18 at 7:21 am Reason: fix typo
BlaiseBOS is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 8:09 am
  #5399  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 11,395
Originally Posted by maxcalls View Post
People who are making the reservation at Domes of Elounda which is a present category 9 (45k) and would peak to 85k using the travel certificate.

Did anyone notice this language in the Cancellation policy.

Holding Your Reservation
  • We will need a credit card prepayment to reserve your room. To ensure that you receive this special rate, we will charge your credit card a prepayment of 258.92 EUR when you make your reservation.
Cancelling Your Reservation
  • You may cancel your reservation for no charge until April 5, 2019 (30 day[s] before arrival).
  • Please note that your prepayment for this special rate is non-refundable.

So if you ultimately do not stay at this property and cancel your reward certificate, the 258.92 EURO would be billed no matter what.
I had made a similar reservation and spoke to a rep who says that there will not be any charge if cancellation is more then a month out.
onlysuites is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 8:16 am
  #5400  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: MIA
Posts: 395
I upgraded some Cat -7's today to 1 Cat 9 and 1 Tier 1-3. I cant see the updated package on my account but I got the email from Marriott with the certificate so Im not worried. The newly upgraded packages now have an expiration date of today instead of getting backdated to my purchase which is nice.

My hope is both will map to new Cat 7 but I bet only the Tier will map to Cat 7 and the Cat 9 will map to Cat 6.

Last edited by sgan317; Aug 17, 18 at 8:59 am Reason: formating
sgan317 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: