Marriott Travel Packages

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Slickw
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART


Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
************
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jul 20, 18, 4:28 pm
  #3991  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: Marriott Platinum
Posts: 149
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Lurker's previous 2 posts just prior to this one have made strong hint to "tell" you to attach your cert in order to maximize value. Seems to me if you cancel the reservation down the road, you MIGHT get back a commensurate cert for another hotel stay and not converted to points. Hence the emphasis on "maximize the value." But no, people would not listen to the hint. Now this is the 3rd time he said so. How much more you want when it is very clear that there would not be any definite number being announced prior to Aug 1st.
He does say that "hint' comes directly from the loyalty team. So, that is not a personal interjection.

And as many people have touched on, at this point in time, it seems irresponsible for Marriott to continue to accept the purchases of these, if they plan on cancelling certs for a far diminished exchange value.

Anyway, I am still going to redeem for a TP, since it's better than 2 MR:1 Mile conversion, at worst. But if I am getting points back, there probably isn't any reason to get a higher category cert, right?
Aero137 is offline  
Old Jul 20, 18, 4:28 pm
  #3992  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,243
Here is my conundrum - any advice welcome

Trying to play 6 nights in BCN smack in the middle of august.

Hotels I'm considering are:
Renaissance BCN (Cat 8 now, soon to be Cat 5)
Cotton House AC (Cat 9 now, unknown? Cat post merger, presumed 7)
LeMeridian (Cat 6 post merger)
W BCN (Cat 7 post merger)

1) LeMeridian would be my ideal property based on reviews/location, but neither SPG property makes sense under current pre-merger system
2) Cotton House is also a great property, and under current rules, I would rather splurge for a Cat 9 cert and book the Cotton House AC over the Renaissance BCN. Its painful that the Cotton House is going to drop at least 2 categories in the new system (though get more expensive from points/night).
3) Under my dream scenario, I redeem and hold a Ca 6 or Cat 7 cert now, get the miles, and then if changes happen early august I can use it for the LeMeridian (or the Cotton House). This seems unlikely to work, correct?

Do I bite the bullet and lock in the Cat 9 package and book the Cotton House AC now?
Do I redeem a package and sit on a cert for a few weeks to see what happens?
-->Presumably I could upgrade if the program doesn't change before my trip, but also risk losing the cert if they invalidate them.
Do I book a Cat 8 package and lock in the renaissance, hoping they let me change properties once things merge (or upgrade to the Cotton House if they don't)...?
Other strategies?
I really wish they would give us some clear dates and firm answers. I could not be caught more in the crossfire!

Thanks,
Surgee


P.s. I'm Marriott Gold via SPG Gold via Amex Plat, so presumably will lose bennies post-merge (breakfast or lounge is most significant to me). I'm hoping they still may give me breakfast in the first few weeks out of habit/goodwill, but not counting on it..
Surgee is offline  
Old Jul 20, 18, 4:45 pm
  #3993  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by Surgee View Post
Here is my conundrum - any advice welcome

Trying to play 6 nights in BCN smack in the middle of august.

Hotels I'm considering are:
Renaissance BCN (Cat 8 now, soon to be Cat 5)
Cotton House AC (Cat 9 now, unknown? Cat post merger, presumed 7)
LeMeridian (Cat 6 post merger)
W BCN (Cat 7 post merger)

1) LeMeridian would be my ideal property based on reviews/location, but neither SPG property makes sense under current pre-merger system
2) Cotton House is also a great property, and under current rules, I would rather splurge for a Cat 9 cert and book the Cotton House AC over the Renaissance BCN. Its painful that the Cotton House is going to drop at least 2 categories in the new system (though get more expensive from points/night).
3) Under my dream scenario, I redeem and hold a Ca 6 or Cat 7 cert now, get the miles, and then if changes happen early august I can use it for the LeMeridian (or the Cotton House). This seems unlikely to work, correct?

Do I bite the bullet and lock in the Cat 9 package and book the Cotton House AC now?
Do I redeem a package and sit on a cert for a few weeks to see what happens?
-->Presumably I could upgrade if the program doesn't change before my trip, but also risk losing the cert if they invalidate them.
Do I book a Cat 8 package and lock in the renaissance, hoping they let me change properties once things merge (or upgrade to the Cotton House if they don't)...?
Other strategies?
I really wish they would give us some clear dates and firm answers. I could not be caught more in the crossfire!

Thanks,
Surgee


P.s. I'm Marriott Gold via SPG Gold via Amex Plat, so presumably will lose bennies post-merge (breakfast or lounge is most significant to me). I'm hoping they still may give me breakfast in the first few weeks out of habit/goodwill, but not counting on it..
In your case, I'd book the Cotton House NOW. The price (in terms of the number of points) is going up next month (from 45K to 60K). There's no downside. You can't book the Le Meridien anyway until the programs merge. Even if you get full points back from Marriott in August (45K/night), they're still insufficient to book the Le Meridien (50K/night starting in August).
tth6133 is offline  
Old Jul 20, 18, 5:34 pm
  #3994  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,952
Originally Posted by Aero137 View Post
He does say that "hint' comes directly from the loyalty team. So, that is not a personal interjection.
I dont understand why there would be anyone still thinks Lurker is not the ONLY channel that we can get any information from the "Official" Loyalty Team. He has said that from the very beginning that no matter what form of communication, post here, PM or whatever, have to be first approved by the Loyalty Team before it can be "out", hence dont expect prompt replies.

Besides, William has always been very "official" during the whole time he serves as the social media rep for SPG.

Truly dont understand why many posters here and elsewhere on the web, more absurdly even a few bloggers still guess whether what he said is his personal opinions or his "interpretation" of the official information Marriott is willing to give out.
Happy is offline  
Old Jul 20, 18, 5:34 pm
  #3995  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,578
Originally Posted by Surgee View Post
Trying to play 6 nights in BCN smack in the middle of august.

Hotels I'm considering are:
Renaissance BCN (Cat 8 now, soon to be Cat 5)
Cotton House AC (Cat 9 now, unknown? Cat post merger, presumed 7)
LeMeridian (Cat 6 post merger)
W BCN (Cat 7 post merger)
I agree with tth6133. If I were in your situation, I would use points to book Cotton House now!

Don't worry about category numbers going up or down. What matters are the points.

(Starpoints x 3) = Rewards Points = new points.

I've never been to Barcelona, but I've put way too much time into researching a 2019 trip that includes Barcelona. My trip is more than year away, so I'm stuck with the new rates.
  • Renaissance Barcelona Hotel - Today: 40,000 / New: 35,000
  • Cotton House Hotel, Autograph Collection - Today: 45,000 / New: 60,000
  • Le Méridien Barcelona - Today: 60,000 / New: 50,000
  • W Barcelona - Today: 60,000 / New: 60,000
I'm planning on Renaissance Barcelona Hotel. Under the new rates, it seems to be the best value. I might be able to talk myself into Le Méridien Barcelona. But the Cotton House and W will take too many points under the new rates.

Oh how I wish I could get Cotton House with a travel package -- or for 45,000 point per night, with the fifth night free!

Last edited by Horace; Jul 20, 18 at 5:52 pm
Horace is offline  
Old Jul 20, 18, 7:32 pm
  #3996  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: LAX
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
Like you said, there's a published award cost chart which can be referenced for that. Specifically, The St. Regis Bora Bora is currently listed at 90,000 points there, but will be available at some point in August for 85,000 points. Then, at some point in January 2019, it appears to me that it is scheduled to go to 70,000 points (off-peak) or 100,000 points (peak) as a Category 8 property. There's no mention of a 60,000-point redemption that I can find after the programs are combined, so if that exists now, I can't imagine why anyone would wait.

At least, that's how I read it, but maybe I am missing something.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts LLC

[email protected]
That post alone (posted a few days ago on an SPG thread) serves as evidence to me to not take everything Lurker says as gospel, as we’re all very well aware of the 60k opportunity spelled out on the category change page he linked.
meehgz is offline  
Old Jul 20, 18, 10:45 pm
  #3997  
CDO
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by karlpenney View Post
I made a TP redemption this morning and the rep did say that unattached certificates would be returned for points. I suspect it will only be the cancellation value though. I will probably attach mine before the changes and hope that we will be able to change dates and/or properties afterward.
Can you cancel after attaching the cert for a refund?
CDO is offline  
Old Jul 20, 18, 11:16 pm
  #3998  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,952
Originally Posted by meehgz View Post


That post alone (posted a few days ago on an SPG thread) serves as evidence to me to not take everything Lurker says as gospel, as we’re all very well aware of the 60k opportunity spelled out on the category change page he linked.
You obviously do not know that the charts are NOT set in stone despite it has been published. Both Marriott and in particular SPG has NOT adhered to the published charts for any given hotels in the past. Happened many times. It has been questioned before, including myself, on a Westin LAX a couple years ago that supposedly to go down but it never did. In fact in SPG T&Cs somewhere it says hotel categories can be changed anytime without notice. If you go back to the annual category change thread each year, you would find at least 1/2 doz or more hotels did not come down as what the new year's charts said they would.

St. Regis Bora Bora 60K is a theoretical number on the chart but so far it seems no one has been able to book it - meaning ZERO availability thru end of 2018. We will see when Aug 1 comes, and when the property is eventually bookable with points, what the real, final, point cost would be. I would not be surprised a bit that eventually nobody would be able to fetch the "great value" with the widely touted "opportunity" by all the blogs in the universe.
Happy is offline  
Old Jul 21, 18, 5:57 am
  #3999  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by CDO View Post
Can you cancel after attaching the cert for a refund?
yes. I confirmed this with a pretty sharp Rewards Club agent while using my TP. I did not however discuss any implications after the changes, as I am using mine on July 30th. She simply said, if you cancel your stay within accordance to the hotel's cancellation policy, they will reattach the TP back to your account.
jiaogulan is offline  
Old Jul 21, 18, 6:41 am
  #4000  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 300
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
You obviously do not know that the charts are NOT set in stone despite it has been published. Both Marriott and in particular SPG has NOT adhered to the published charts for any given hotels in the past. Happened many times. It has been questioned before, including myself, on a Westin LAX a couple years ago that supposedly to go down but it never did. In fact in SPG T&Cs somewhere it says hotel categories can be changed anytime without notice. If you go back to the annual category change thread each year, you would find at least 1/2 doz or more hotels did not come down as what the new year's charts said they would.

St. Regis Bora Bora 60K is a theoretical number on the chart but so far it seems no one has been able to book it - meaning ZERO availability thru end of 2018. We will see when Aug 1 comes, and when the property is eventually bookable with points, what the real, final, point cost would be. I would not be surprised a bit that eventually nobody would be able to fetch the "great value" with the widely touted "opportunity" by all the blogs in the universe.
St Regis Bora Bora was never bookable online on award stays because it is a suites-only property. You’d have to call in and redeem double the regular points.
M.dA.R. is offline  
Old Jul 21, 18, 8:52 am
  #4001  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 327
I may have overlooked this, but I'm hoping for just a quick confirmation. The hotels that are dropping to 60K for the remainder of 2018...do I have to book and STAY during that timeframe, or can I book a stay for next summer and get the discounted rate?
mpeterson78 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 18, 9:33 am
  #4002  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YYZ, YVR, PEK, LHR
Programs: A3*G
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by mpeterson78 View Post
I may have overlooked this, but I'm hoping for just a quick confirmation. The hotels that are dropping to 60K for the remainder of 2018...do I have to book and STAY during that timeframe, or can I book a stay for next summer and get the discounted rate?
The latter.
flyer05 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 18, 9:38 am
  #4003  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOS
Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Posts: 2,775
Originally Posted by flyer05 View Post
The latter.
Just don't change your reservation in any way after the higher rate comes in to effect. If you do, it will be repriced at said higher rate.
LoganFlyer is online now  
Old Jul 21, 18, 9:45 am
  #4004  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: LAX
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
You obviously do not know that the charts are NOT set in stone despite it has been published. Both Marriott and in particular SPG has NOT adhered to the published charts for any given hotels in the past. Happened many times. It has been questioned before, including myself, on a Westin LAX a couple years ago that supposedly to go down but it never did. In fact in SPG T&Cs somewhere it says hotel categories can be changed anytime without notice. If you go back to the annual category change thread each year, you would find at least 1/2 doz or more hotels did not come down as what the new year's charts said they would.

St. Regis Bora Bora 60K is a theoretical number on the chart but so far it seems no one has been able to book it - meaning ZERO availability thru end of 2018. We will see when Aug 1 comes, and when the property is eventually bookable with points, what the real, final, point cost would be. I would not be surprised a bit that eventually nobody would be able to fetch the "great value" with the widely touted "opportunity" by all the blogs in the universe.
Ha. You obviously do not know that you don’t need to book to stay in 2018, you just need to book by the end of 2018, and you can book for up to 50 weeks out, and there is in fact availability at the new cat-8 (cat-7 until the end of 2018) hotels next year that I’m looking at. You also obviously do not know that the date is not necessarily Aug 1st, but “sometime in August,” and that of course no one has booked at that rate yet, because that rate isn’t yet available until the programs are one. But go ahead and talk down to me and yell in your caps emphasis while you continue to endlessly fanboy Lurker, that’s productive.
CDO likes this.

Last edited by meehgz; Jul 21, 18 at 9:51 am
meehgz is offline  
Old Jul 21, 18, 9:51 am
  #4005  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: AC, DL, Marriott, SPG, Fairmont, Best Western
Posts: 1,719
Come on Marriott, show us your cards. Don't be such wussy cowards!
MasterGeek is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread