Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I am going to attach a 7 day certificate to a reservation in July. Unfortunately, I will probably have to change the date of my reservation. I wish Marriott would clarify what happens under control this circumstance.

My preferred property (25,000) is going to be reduced to a category 3 (17,500) in August. I could book another great hotel that will remain at 25,000. If I change my reservation, I believe I would have more flexibility if my reservation is for a category 4 (25,000) property.

Is making a reservation for my second choice (Category 4 - 25,000) instead of my preferred hotel (25,000 -> 17,500) a good decision?

I think this is the correct decision, if I was going to change hotels. I am less confident in the decision if I am changing the date of my reservation. I am new to Marriott, I will welcome any feedback.

PS The reservation will be after January. The new low season/high season pricing would be in effect.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macs4us
Please correct me if I am wrong in this scenario: We want to stay at a SPG property in HI next summer that will be Cat 5. If I get a Cat 5 MTP now and attach it to a Marriott property that is currently 25k and going up to 35k (is currently Cat 5 and will be Cat 5 in August) we could possibly transfer that to the Cat 5 Starwood property after the August conversion. It may also be possible if we did the Marriott reservation and cancel we could be given points equivalent to the amount to book a new Cat 5. I realize this is speculation and hedging a bet, but I wanted to try to make a safer bet...
Just because the property you now booked would go up to 35K, and Marriott would honor the 25K cert currently attached, does not by any means your cert would then worth for 35K property.

Besides, the current Cat 5 is not the new Cat 5, but the new Cat 4. Even if Marriott refunds the points to you it would still be the 25K/night value.

Why people still not realize the "number" of a category does not have any relationship between the old and the new chart?

Your bet most likely is not even a hedged bet but a bet that is doomed from the start.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS 75k, IHG Diamond Ambassador/Kimpton Inner Circle, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by Happy
Just because the property you now booked would go up to 35K, and Marriott would honor the 25K cert currently attached, does not by any means your cert would then worth for 35K property.

Besides, the current Cat 5 is not the new Cat 5, but the new Cat 4. Even if Marriott refunds the points to you it would still be the 25K/night value.

Why people still not realize the "number" of a category does not have any relationship between the old and the new chart?

Your bet most likely is not even a hedged bet but a bet that is doomed from the start.
I absolutely do understand that the number/Category relationship, or lack thereof, between the old and new charts. My possible bet was that by attaching it to one of the 5 hotels I found that are currently 25k points (current Marriott Cat 5), and that are going up to 35k points (and Cat 5 on new chart), then changing after the conversion to the Starwood property that will also be 35k it is essentially a post conversion current value even exchange. To take the category out of it, if when making the change they go by the post conversion point value at the already booked Marriott hotel, it will be the same value (35k/nt). Yes, there is a chance they will give points back at the rate of 25k (hence the hedge), but there may also be a chance that since the hotels will have equivalent value post conversion the swap may be more possible (versus a property that does not go up in value in August). Going by the scenario in your post it appears the worst case is I get a point deposit or certificate equivalent to book 7 nights at a property worth 25k/nt and I still get my airline miles, correct?
entrada likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:01 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by macs4us
I absolutely do understand that the number/Category relationship, or lack thereof, between the old and new charts. My possible bet was that by attaching it to one of the 5 hotels I found that are currently 25k points (current Marriott Cat 5), and that are going up to 35k points (and Cat 5 on new chart), then changing after the conversion to the Starwood property that will also be 35k it is essentially a post conversion current value even exchange. To take the category out of it, if when making the change they go by the post conversion point value at the already booked Marriott hotel, it will be the same value (35k/nt). Yes, there is a chance they will give points back at the rate of 25k (hence the hedge), but there may also be a chance that since the hotels will have equivalent value post conversion the swap may be more possible (versus a property that does not go up in value in August). Going by the scenario in your post it appears the worst case is I get a point deposit or certificate equivalent to book 7 nights at a property worth 25k/nt and I still get my airline miles, correct?
I think it's a great idea and it may go over some's heads.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:15 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Hi all, have a quick question for the travel package experts. I need to come up with 66,000 AA miles for an upcoming itinerary. I plan to convert 90K SPG to Marriott (and combine with existing Marriott points) for a miles+cert package deal, although it is unlikely I'll be able to use a 7-night certificate in my travels, so I would likely leave it as a "floater" certificate and not assign a particular hotel to it. In other words, I feel that I would be better served by having that cert convert back to points later on, to account for multiple 1 or 2 night stays.

Question is whether I am better off going with the Cat 1-5 + 120K miles, Cat 6 +100k miles, or Cat 7 + 70k miles. I know conventional wisdom is the aim for the "right side" of the chart, but I don't have an immediate need for the extra AA miles I'd end up with either (only need 66,000), so if there's some benefit to getting a higher category travel cert and leaving it unattached (resulting in more Marriott points later on), I'm not opposed to that strategy.

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Hi all, have a quick question for the travel package experts. I need to come up with 66,000 AA miles for an upcoming itinerary. I plan to convert 90K SPG to Marriott (and combine with existing Marriott points) for a miles+cert package deal, although it is unlikely I'll be able to use a 7-night certificate in my travels, so I would likely leave it as a "floater" certificate and not assign a particular hotel to it. In other words, I feel that I would be better served by having that cert convert back to points later on, to account for multiple 1 or 2 night stays.

Question is whether I am better off going with the Cat 1-5 + 120K miles, Cat 6 +100k miles, or Cat 7 + 70k miles. I know conventional wisdom is the aim for the "right side" of the chart, but I don't have an immediate need for the extra AA miles I'd end up with either (only need 66,000), so if there's some benefit to getting a higher category travel cert and leaving it unattached (resulting in more Marriott points later on), I'm not opposed to that strategy.

Any thoughts appreciated!
In general, you always want to max out the mileage portion, because it allows you to convert the relatively low-value Marriott points to the more valuable airline miles on a 1:1 basis.

Furthermore, in this case, saving on the mileage portion and going for a higher category won't really have any benefits to speak of, except that by locking your MR points in the hotel cert, you lose the ability to transfer them to favorable airline mileage ratio (since the travel package is being devaluated come August). If they do decide to cancel and refund everyone's cert in points, the points that you "invest" in a hotel cert will simply come back to you, no different than if you had just left them in your account and not use for the travel package. However, when that happens, you no longer have the pre-August favorable airline miles transfer ratio.
dwbf11 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:34 pm

DT: My AS miles just posted.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by perdue
They haven't made those clear. The conversion to a 60k cert is just an assumption at this point.
The Marriott FAQ clearly say that free nights from the credit cards will be converted to points-based certificate. Is the assumption part that they'd be worth 60k? They have stated that the anniversary certs will be certs of the highest-redemption point value of the current points system. I think it's a fairly safe bet that they'll be similar but I guess it's possible they'd reduce them to some lower point amount but that just wouldn't make sense since they're currently worth up to 60k/night stays.

Last edited by Willbur; Jul 24, 2018 at 11:13 pm
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
Wow. Just wow from Marriott. So i had a short fall of 30k points in my account in order to purchase a TP. I have been trying to transfer points from a friends account for the past 1 week- they have been saying they cannot do this on account of "system upgradation" issues.

So then i asked the rep if i can combine points towards a particular reservation in lieu of a travel package. He said that this was possible and i would get the miles. However, if i cancel the 7 night reservation at the hotel, then apparently the certificate gets automatically cancelled - points are refunded to both accounts and the airline miles are taken back?

Isnt there a legal remedy for this?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy

Because it's insane. Most people (aside from obsessed few) who get cat 1-5 cert valid through smth 2019 expect to redeem it at cat 5. They will open marriott directory and try to book cat 5 hotel. If marriott starts telling all of them them that cat 1-5 cert is not valid for cat 5 property it's gonna get ugly.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by jiteshjerome
Wow. Just wow from Marriott. So i had a short fall of 30k points in my account in order to purchase a TP. I have been trying to transfer points from a friends account for the past 1 week- they have been saying they cannot do this on account of "system upgradation" issues.

So then i asked the rep if i can combine points towards a particular reservation in lieu of a travel package. He said that this was possible and i would get the miles. However, if i cancel the 7 night reservation at the hotel, then apparently the certificate gets automatically cancelled - points are refunded to both accounts and the airline miles are taken back?

Isnt there a legal remedy for this?
Don't worry, he doesn't know how it works. However, when you cancel the reservation, I have had instances where the 45k or upgrades points are returned rather than the cert when cancelling online. However, you can call and cancel and get your cet back. Airline miles aren't taken back.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Willbur
Don't worry, he doesn't know how it works. However, when you cancel the reservation, I have had instances where the 45k or upgrades points are returned rather than the cert when cancelling online. However, you can call and cancel and get your cet back. Airline miles aren't taken back.
The last few times I canceled (recently), I got the certificates back to my account.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Willbur

thank you
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by jrey
The last few times I canceled (recently), I got the certificates back to my account.
Correct that definitely occurs. I get both and I don't know what triggers one or the other. It usually tells you on the on the confirmation page. Always a pain if it's going to give me back the points because then I have to call. Most recently had this about a month ago.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by jrey

And he told me that this is the process

1. I need to call and make an actual 7 night reservation first - i need to indicate what travel package and give my airline FF number
2. Post this, my friend (who would be giving me the points) needs to phone in to confirm the same

Is this correct? Also as a note, my friend has not exceeded the 50k transfer limit for the year. Apparently this is a workaround as MR to MR Transfers is not working

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.