Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:16 am
kkl

Originally Posted by alc
let just hope they are just delay for members located outside of US.
I'm located outside USA
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:51 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
It's $551/yr, according to the poster. I assume that's if you stay in Branson, and it's higher if you try to trade it elsewhere?
Just note that you pay that each year, but you only get a week there every other year (i.e. even numbered years.) So the cost is actually double that annual fee.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Still $551 even if you exchange. The MF's are tied to your home resort no matter where you stay.
NOTE: The unit is EOY. The MF are $551 every year - but you only get the unit every other year. So, technically the MFs are $1102 for the one week of ownership.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by kkl
I'm located outside USA
I'm in the USA, and my MileagePlus bonus hasn't posted yet.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by alc
let just hope they are just delay for members located outside of US.
Friends in Toronto that I talked into this, have received their bonus!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Still $551 even if you exchange. The MF's are tied to your home resort no matter where you stay.
Got it. I just figured there'd also be some kind of $199 "processing fee" for the trade or whatnot.

Originally Posted by mdurette
NOTE: The unit is EOY. The MF are $551 every year - but you only get the unit every other year. So, technically the MFs are $1102 for the one week of ownership.
That I *didn't* pick up on. I read it as fixed in Week 11 one year, and then some kind of floating Week 10 through 19 the other year. (All of which are pretty lousy weeks to go to the Ozarks if you want to be on the lake.)
Old Dec 14, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Got it. I just figured there'd also be some kind of $199 "processing fee" for the trade or whatnot.

That I *didn't* pick up on. I read it as fixed in Week 11 one year, and then some kind of floating Week 10 through 19 the other year. (All of which are pretty lousy weeks to go to the Ozarks if you want to be on the lake.)
Oh, there are def. transaction "fees". I thought you were referring to the fact that you might be charged fees that applied to the location you would be using.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

I know that there are other timeshare owners here (I recognize their screen names from TUG and I see their posts periodically), but let me give you some clues about how this game is played. Timesharing is a game, there is a learning curve, and it takes some time and effort to learn it and play it well. I think you make an investment when you buy a timeshare, and you want to maximize the value of that investment.

In addition to your annual maintenance fee, you would need to join a timeshare exchange company if you intend to trade a timeshare week rather than use the week yourself. So you'd have an annual fee for the exchange company. I don't have my notes in front of me, but figure in the range of $89 per year as a reasonable guess.

Next, you'd need to reserve your week. Let's say it's a week 10-19. Look at this page and click the link for "Travel Demand Index" on the right side of the page: https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=MHB&parentResortCode=MHB#.WFH hedIrL4Y
You see a chart. Notice the numbers at the very bottom (from 50 to 150). The TDI (Travel Demand Index) tells you how much demand there is for particular timeshare weeks. So you will notice that weeks 10-19 are on the mid-range side. The highest demand weeks in Branson are weeks 23-29. So weeks 10-19 are not the worst, but they are not the best. Your "trading power" (your ability to make a successful and desirable timeshare trade) correlates with the TDI.

So now you've reserved a week for trading (rather than your personal use), you have deposited it to your exchange company, and you make a trade. You will pay a trading fee, which is currently about $129 per trade if you are trading to a Marriott resort and $189 if trading to a non-Marriott. This fee unfortunately tends to rise every year or two (as does your annual maintenance fee, by the way). You also may have to pay an upgrade fee if you trade your 2BR unit for a 3BR or 4BR unit (if, for example, you have a really large family and want to invite everyone along).

So I'll admit that I own a Marriott timeshare. My wife and I have had some wonderful vacations using our timeshare (including Marriott travel packages, which is after all the subject of this thread). We sometimes stay in our home resort but we often trade. I also often will build major (3-4 week) international vacations that include one timeshare week. When trading, we often stay at Marriott timeshare properties because the units are generally high quality. But I admit that all these fees do add up, and my cost for fees has risen slowly and steadily since I bought the timeshare unit in 2004. I don't regret the purchase because it led me into the world of Marriott Reward points and from there I found my way to FlyerTalk. I have learned a lot from you people here on FT and we now take fabulous vacations for a very reasonable overall cost by using our travel reward points. But I confess that the timeshare fees, and the slow and steady rise in those fees, are a pain in the A.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I know that there are other timeshare owners here (I recognize their screen names from TUG and I see their posts periodically), but let me give you some clues about how this game is played. Timesharing is a game, there is a learning curve, and it takes some time and effort to learn it and play it well. I think you make an investment when you buy a timeshare, and you want to maximize the value of that investment.

In addition to your annual maintenance fee, you would need to join a timeshare exchange company if you intend to trade a timeshare week rather than use the week yourself. So you'd have an annual fee for the exchange company. I don't have my notes in front of me, but figure in the range of $89 per year as a reasonable guess.

Next, you'd need to reserve your week. Let's say it's a week 10-19. Look at this page and click the link for "Travel Demand Index" on the right side of the page: https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=MHB&parentResortCode=MHB#.WFH hedIrL4Y
You see a chart. Notice the numbers at the very bottom (from 50 to 150). The TDI (Travel Demand Index) tells you how much demand there is for particular timeshare weeks. So you will notice that weeks 10-19 are on the mid-range side. The highest demand weeks in Branson are weeks 23-29. So weeks 10-19 are not the worst, but they are not the best. Your "trading power" (your ability to make a successful and desirable timeshare trade) correlates with the TDI.

So now you've reserved a week for trading (rather than your personal use), you have deposited it to your exchange company, and you make a trade. You will pay a trading fee, which is currently about $129 per trade if you are trading to a Marriott resort and $189 if trading to a non-Marriott. This fee unfortunately tends to rise every year or two (as does your annual maintenance fee, by the way). You also may have to pay an upgrade fee if you trade your 2BR unit for a 3BR or 4BR unit (if, for example, you have a really large family and want to invite everyone along).

So I'll admit that I own a Marriott timeshare. My wife and I have had some wonderful vacations using our timeshare (including Marriott travel packages, which is after all the subject of this thread). We sometimes stay in our home resort but we often trade. I also often will build major (3-4 week) international vacations that include one timeshare week. When trading, we often stay at Marriott timeshare properties because the units are generally high quality. But I admit that all these fees do add up, and my cost for fees has risen slowly and steadily since I bought the timeshare unit in 2004. I don't regret the purchase because it led me into the world of Marriott Reward points and from there I found my way to FlyerTalk. I have learned a lot from you people here on FT and we now take fabulous vacations for a very reasonable overall cost by using our travel reward points. But I confess that the timeshare fees, and the slow and steady rise in those fees, are a pain in the A.
I agree completely. We own two MVCI weeks-Aruba SC and Phuket Thailand. Wonderful locations. When purchased, the MF's were reasonable. Now, they equal or exceed what I can rent a week through Redweek or Tug. We use them and love them, but would not invest more.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by margarita girl
The 25% bonus from UA for people who transferred Marriott points have begun posting. I did a Travel Package, and no bonus points have posted yet. Anyone else have any luck?
Originally Posted by alc
Also did my on Oct 14, but no bonus posted yet
Is anyone still waiting for their 20K mile bonus from UA? I haven't received mine yet, and now have started second guessing myself as to whether I registered or not (after telling all my friends to make sure they register before doing the transfer)!
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Did my travel package on Nov. 22 and have not received my bonus miles yet.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.0 MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Natl Exec Elite, Hertz 5 Star
One more data point: 20K UNited bonus miles for 7-night Travel Package posted .
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Is anyone still waiting for their 20K mile bonus from UA? I haven't received mine yet, and now have started second guessing myself as to whether I registered or not (after telling all my friends to make sure they register before doing the transfer)!
The miles for my travel package posted on 11/30/16 dated 11/29/16 and my 20k bonus has been received. Not sure if there is some other order they process in, but mine would be just about as late as you could be and still make it under the threshold.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
My Travel Package miles posted on 11/11, and I have not yet received the bonus.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:03 am

My transfer wasn't until Nov 30, and I definitely registered for the promotion. In fact, I did so twice, as the fact that they don't email a confirmation bothered me. I haven't received the 20k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.