Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:07 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
No different than any other hotel award when upgrades are required. Basically, you will have the 7 night standard award from the TP and then you will need to order the appropriate # of upgrade awards. A Marriott CR can help you get that all set up.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If US has a well-defined Million Miler program of their own, then that probably decreases the odds that random RDM's in the US account end up counting towards LT status on AA. If a US BIS counter exists, then AA would presumably use it and nothing else.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
I would say even if they aren't tracking BIS miles, couldn't they just use PQM?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Can the miles required to upgrade TP cert be from another account? For instance - collect the miles & cat 5 cert from my account but one of the family members uses their points to upgrade to cat 6/7/8.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:01 am

If you don't have the points required in your account, you might be able to pull the points into your account from someone else. Marriott allows points to be pulled (in 1K increments) from another account when needed to order an award. The process requires calling MR, them sending you a form to fill out, sign, have the other person fill out the form for their account, sign it, and fax it back to MR.

I don't see why that process wouldn't work for upgrading a cert, but it wouldn't hurt to call MR and ask, just to be sure.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BigLar
#1 - Yes, the hotel portion of a TP can be upgraded (recently confirmed in another thread). If you don't need the stay right away, the strategy of getting the cheapest cert for maximum miles, and then upgrading the cert to what you'll actually use, is a time-honored technique here on FT.
Does it cost any more than the difference between the TP costs?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Does it cost any more than the difference between the TP costs?
No.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:52 pm

Just requested the transfer, and I can already see the 7-night certificate.

I'll stop by again when the 144K posts.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:03 pm

Miles posted today.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Gold
Five night travel packages

For owners of MVCI weeks or destination points there was always an option of a 5 night travel package, along the same lines as the Marriott Rewards 7 night travel packages but for somewhat fewer points. It was always well hidden on the vacationclub website, but now it appears to be gone. Any idea of this is being phased out, or are my old eyes missing something??
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
I believe you have to call to book the 5 day packages.

Last edited by jtp1947; Nov 4, 2014 at 8:17 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I have ordered them within the last 8 weeks. No uproar on TUG or Marriott Insiders that they are gone. I would certainly expect that if they vanished.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:07 pm

Being a MCVI owner I just got a 5 nighter at cat 8 with 120K MR points...did it on 10/30 with AA and just got the 20% bonus! You have to call CS to get the 5 night deal.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by rcgrogan
Being a MCVI owner I just got a 5 nighter at cat 8 with 120K MR points...did it on 10/30 with AA and just got the 20% bonus! You have to call CS to get the 5 night deal.
Which hotel? Trying to get ideas for my trip.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: MVCI, MRP
It's true that you have to call Owner Services to set up the 5-Night Travel Packages but the info is available at my-vacationclub.com. Sign in and click on the "Program Changes" link in the column on the right under "Marriott Rewards." (This link may take you directly to it on sign-in.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.