Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by HMPS
How do they calculate how many more points when you want to upgrade to a higher cat ?
Thank You
Exactly the same as the point difference of the TP themselves-as the difference is the hotel category. So, if you are going from a cat 1-5 to a cat 7. Look at the point difference between a cat 7 and a cat 1-5 TP.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Smileycj1
Hi! I tried searching but did not find what I was looking for. I want to trade in 200 something thousand points to get airline miles plus 7 nights in a category 7 hotel. My question is, will I have to pay the resort fee for the hotel if I am using this specific certificate? Thanks!
Just checked out of Frenchmans Reef...was here on a 5 night TP...resort fee of $45/day is not included...tried to negotiate but no dice
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
If you can hold off until an airline offers a bonus for the transfer that is more bang. I got mine when AA offered a 20% bonus on MR transfers .

Speaking of bonus miles, when is the last time United has had one of these bonuses? I've been waiting and hoping to cash in at this time myself. I know we get the 10% bonus with Marriott but I was hoping they'd have a 20% or 50% bonus sometime.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Exactly the same as the point difference of the TP themselves-as the difference is the hotel category. So, if you are going from a cat 1-5 to a cat 7. Look at the point difference between a cat 7 and a cat 1-5 TP.
Thank you. last year when I called in they wanted the full 45 K difference but based on the regular booking site for hotel room. I should have known better ! Silly me.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mclymerne
Speaking of bonus miles, when is the last time United has had one of these bonuses? I've been waiting and hoping to cash in at this time myself. I know we get the 10% bonus with Marriott but I was hoping they'd have a 20% or 50% bonus sometime.
May be waiting a LONG time for a 50% bonus...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:52 pm

I've just finished a position that required a fair amount of travel, but won't be doing much at all any more for work. We're currently preparing to book a mini-RTW flight with Aeroplan miles. I will need around 150,000 miles extra to book a 3rd business class ticket. As I don't expect a bonus for Aeroplan until November, I'll need to book 2 x 7 day travel packages. We have 600K MR points, and looking at a Cat 5 & 7 hotel.

The question that I'd appreciate some advice on - would you max out the points transfer (120K x 2), putting 90K extra into the aeroplan account, where it's uncertain when we'd use them? Or would you just transfer the 150K in 2 transactions, saving the 90K in MR points, which would be our balance?

At current earnings, it will take a 3+ years to get up to another travel package level, so I wouldn't consider this a head start amount. We would be tempted to use those points on the overnight layovers in Seoul, Beijing and LA - and not at the best value usage!...
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Do Vacation Package Seven Days Need to be Consecutive?

My plan is to call Marriott later today to ask this, but wanted to see if anyone had any insight...

I cannot find a requirement that the vacation package nights be consecutive. I've pulled the award and made the reservation, and it actually shows as a five night redemption followed by a two night redemption. This got me thinking; the plan is to spend seven nights in Hotel A followed by two nights in Hotel B, located a couple hours away at the beach. It would be much easier to spend five nights at Hotel A, two nights at Hotel B, two nights at Hotel A, as it gets us closer to the airport for departure day and gives us more hours at the beach. This still is a seven night redemption at Hotel A, but with a two night break in between. (Off topic: Gosh aren't the Hopper awards missed!)

Anyone ever done this before?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The way I understand it, the Travel Package needs to be consumed entirely in one stay at the hotel.

You could do, for example, 4 award nights, a paid night, and 3 award nights....a single 8-night stay. (I believe the call center would have to set up the reservation though.)

But I'm reasonably certain you can't consume different parts of a Travel Package on different stays, even at the same hotel. (If you could, that'd make it a much more awesome award, and I'm one who already really likes Travel Packages. )
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:41 am

You are probably correct, and that's how I have always understood this, but there doesn't appear to be a published rule stating this. I cannot call now - on conference call waiting to speak while they cover something not applicable to me right now - but will call later and report back. If anyone had been successful on this though, I was hoping to have some tips.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
The way I understand it, the Travel Package needs to be consumed entirely in one stay at the hotel.

You could do, for example, 4 award nights, a paid night, and 3 award nights....a single 8-night stay. (I believe the call center would have to set up the reservation though.)

But I'm reasonably certain you can't consume different parts of a Travel Package on different stays, even at the same hotel. (If you could, that'd make it a much more awesome award, and I'm one who already really likes Travel Packages. )
This is interesting because theoretically (I would think) you're going to have 3 reservation codes in your above example, so that could mean you could book it all out, and then cancel the paid night (within the window of course). *shrug* But that's just wild conjecture on my part...

Otherwise, I wonder if you could rent a broom closet on the paid nights...?!!!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joeags
This is interesting because theoretically (I would think) you're going to have 3 reservation codes in your above example, so that could mean you could book it all out, and then cancel the paid night (within the window of course). *shrug* But that's just wild conjecture on my part...
That thought has crossed my mind as well.

In my experience, this was a bigger issue back in the days of the two-tiered award structure. It was sometimes very hard to find 7 consecutive standard award nights available...I recall cases where there'd be one pesky night in the middle of a stay that was unavailable. I remember a nondescript Residence Inn that showed ZERO award rooms available on any Sunday night - I'm talking about a normal place where Sunday is as low-occupancy as it gets - and there was nothing MR corporate could do about it. Those kinds of situations seem to be less common these days.

In recent years, I can't recall this being an issue for any of my bookings.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped

Correct on both accounts. I've done this numerous times, and yes to reiterate, you need to call reservations to make this type of reservation. As long a the stay is contiguous, you can use the seven free nights scattered throughout the contiguous stay.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:04 am

Just called, and was told the nights could not be split, which I'm fine with, but the explanation given was BS.

The agent explained that with the package I was getting a huge break for the points needed for the room. This confused me, so I asked how that could be, given I'm using this on a Cat 4 hotel, which would cost 140k MRPs for the week, and got 70k airline points for a total of 220k MRPs. She explained that since it was 120k MRPs for 50k airline points, if you subtracted that from the 220k MRPs used for the transaction, I was getting seven nights for 100k MRP, or even less, given I took 70k airline points, not 50k.

Had she just told me the rules are the rules, that would have been acceptable. Her answer, which shifted with each question, leaves me still wondering if it can be done. (In my industry, I'm the guy brought in to work with people who think they know a rule, but don't understand the logic behind it and are misinterpreting and misapplying the rule. Once they get it, these people are thrilled to do the right thing going forward. She reminded me of the discussions I have on a daily basis.)

I'm fine not splitting the nights if it isn't allowed. There is no reason, though for the phone agent to make up nonsense. No frequent traveler is going to look at it this way. The discount is on the points conversion from MRPs to airline miles, which is what makes the package a good deal. What she was telling me defied logic.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
One of the problems that would occur if you try to split a single award cert across multiple stays is that the cert can only be linked to one reservation and after that "stay" occurs, the cert would be "consumed". Thus it would not be valid or usable for any other stay. My understanding is that there is no "partial" using of a cert. It is either used or not used. So if you used a 7 night cert for a 5 night stay, it would be used and those last 2 nights are just lost.

Note even back when Marriott had their "sampler" awards where you could split up your stay, that award was actually ordering 3 different awards (a 3 night cert plus 2 two night certs.) That was the only way Marriott could get a cert linked to each reservation. So even though the Sampler was a single award, it was really 3 different certs being ordered.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:52 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The discount is on the points conversion from MRPs to airline miles, which is what makes the package a good deal. What she was telling me defied logic.
Actually, that is not true.
If you ever do a conversion (going up in hotel category), you see what the value of the Hotel portion is (as you see a credit and then a cost for just the partial travel/Hotel award.)

Since I am MVCI, I only do a 5day package, so the hotel portion is only 10K, which means that the miles are still same cost, hotel is heavily discounted.

Now that is not the reason you can't split, but what she said is true.

Last edited by rthib; Feb 19, 2015 at 10:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.