Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Travel Package: 235K 083 Reward Question?

Definitely need the 120K miles, but can the 7 night hotel cert be redeposited into your MR account for some type of credit (for some reason 60K points rings a bell) instead of redeeming it, if I have no use for it?

Four threads worth of searches did not seem to address admittedly niche issue. And the folks at MR didn't seem too clear about this possible policy (or maybe exception?) either.

THANKS
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You can return the certificate for partial credit. 60K sounds too high since I remember that you get back less than half the value of the room certificate. I think you'll probably get about 45K back. Alternatively, you could offer your certificate on CC in exchange for something else.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 1:28 pm

cool! thanx
Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
The week is deposited electronically in your account, and I'd hold on to it for a year, then extend it a year. It beats the 45K you get back for it. Only redeposit it if you have to.

Also, not that you'd ever do this, but it's 50K for the 250K award and 55K for the 270K award for the hotel portion redeposit.

Billy
Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:21 pm

thanx...good to know!
Old Sep 21, 2007, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you've got 235K in your account, you must be doing a lot of business with Marriott. Presumably, you also want to cash in for a some rewards stays, right?

That 7-night cert can be extended indefinitely - I have one I've extended twice already (needed the miles at the time) and I plan to keep extending it until I use it. No big deal to call once a year (but you have to call -- they won't contact you).

Also -- if you are spending 235K with 120K miles, you must have a cat 5 cert. In addition to extending it, you can also have them upgrade it to a cat 6 or 7. They will cancel the existing cert, take the additional points out of your account, and issue you the new one.

Maybe it's just me, but the last thing I would do with that cert is just deposit the points and take the hit.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
I was looking to book the 120k united miles and 7 nights @ a cat 7. Would i be able to use this at the renaissance in dublin (shelbourne)?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:10 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by JimJ321
I was looking to book the 120k united miles and 7 nights @ a cat 7. Would i be able to use this at the renaissance in dublin (shelbourne)?
No, this is the CAT 6 hotel. You dont need to cash in a cat 7. It will be reduced points-250K total instead of 270k. I just cashed in 2 of these this week, call MR, they are VERY helpful!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:36 pm

Programs: CO - Gold; WN - CP; Marriott MR - Plat; Starwood SPG - Plat; Hilton - Diamond; National - EE
JimJ321

Before you redeem your Marriott points for the travel package, call and find out if reward nights are available at the renaissance in dublin - you can then make the reward reservation in advance of redeeming your points for the travel package. You will get a paper certificate for your hotel nights instead of e-certificate.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I havent seen paper certs in a long time. My understanding is that ALL hotel rewards are electronic now.

When making the reward reservation online just click you already have a reward certificate and you can apply a travel package week to it electronically.

--DD73
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:50 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
7 Nights + 2 Plane Tickets Award

Does anyone know the awrd code for 7 free nights in Hawaii plus 2 plane tickets?

How many points would I need?

Thanks and Seasons Greetings...
Old Dec 21, 2007, 9:49 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
We need a little more info to give you that. I think what you are asking about is a "Travel Package" award that includes 7 nights in a hotel plus FF points (and a small Hertz cert as well.) There are a few variations to the award that you will need to decide on. What is the category of the hotel you want to stay in? Which airlines do you want to use? How many FF points do you want? Check out theTravel Packages webpage from Marriott to see the variations. Once you make your decisions, click on the "details" link for that award and the linked page will tell you the award code. Note that this award is not an "Hawaii" award but a general 'anywhere in the world' award.

You will notice that there is a "Hawaii Sampler" award that allows you to split your nights among various hotels. Unfortunately, that award is not a part of the Travel Package. The hotel cert you will receive will be 7 nights in one hotel. BTW, there is no Marriott restriction that says you have to use the hotel cert for the same trip you use the FF miles on.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:23 pm

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
generally speaking, is this the best value using MR points?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
generally speaking, is this the best value using MR points?
A BIG YES

That's all I ever redeem my MR points for.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We cashed in for 2 travel packages this year.

We are going to Tokyo and Thailand for 2 weeks in Feb including First Class travel on AA and JAL.

I am looking so forward to this. It was an excellent use of points. Its probably my first and last time in international F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.