Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Alright, then.

Now, the challenge can be taken once per 12 calendar months, in January 2015 I will lose Platinum status, I wonder if I can call in February 2015 and request the challenge again.

I guess I'll find out in two years!
Sorry, but I am confused. Why would you lose your PLT status in Jan 2015? You will have all of 2014 to get only 75 nights for the calendar year. That is very doable especially if you stick to one brand (i.e, Marriott as opposed to Starwoood).
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
Sorry, but I am confused. Why would you lose your PLT status in Jan 2015? You will have all of 2014 to get only 75 nights for the calendar year. That is very doable especially if you stick to one brand (i.e, Marriott as opposed to Starwoood).
He said he only stays around 12 nights or so in Marriott.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by pooker
He said he only stays around 12 nights or so in Marriott.
Well, 20 to 30 on the average actually, but still far short of 75.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by KevinInRI
So I emailed Marriott to apply for this. I have been an elite member of Marriott Rewards since 2000, about 5-6 years of those as a Platinum, with a total of 500+ lifetime nights. Over the last couple years my travel patterns resulted in me staying more at SPG and Hyatt hotels (currently have top tier status in both) and I dropped down to Marriott Gold last year and to Silver as of March 1 of this year. I emailed to see if I can take advantage of the "Taste of Platinum" promotion but I got the following email back. I'm trying to figure out how to decipher this. I'm assuming they're referring to my current offer of buying back Gold status. But does this mean if I don't take advantage of the buyback offer I can request the challenge after April 2? Or does this forever disqualify me from ever taking advantage of a challenge? If so that would mean no former gold or platinum members could ever take advantage of the challenge because they would have had an offer to buy back their status when they were soft-landed.

Dear KevininRI,

Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards with your request for an upgrade in Elite status. I apologize that members who have previously had an offer of a conditional upgrade in Elite status are not eligible for another offer.

As one of our valued Elite members, we understand your travel needs vary from year to year and you occasionally might not have the required number of nights to maintain your Elite status. We know how important the Marriott Rewards benefits are to you, so you may buy back your Gold Elite status for 2013 at a reduced cost of 25,000 points. Your status will be valid until February 2014. Please note this point total offer is for a limited time and you must make your decision before 02 April 2013. Thereafter you may buy back your Gold Elite status for 2013 at the standard cost of 40,000 points...
Good question, I did take them up on the 25k to keep Gold, but it looks like I may have about 30some weeks coming up at Marriot. (3 nights a week) would like to jump to Platinum if I can.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by awu25
I emailed 3 different Marriott addresses for the Platinum challenge. Got responses of Gold challenge, Silver challenge, and no challenge. Decided to call and was planning on trying 3-5 different times before accepting accepting a Gold challenge. However, on my first attempt, guy started off saying that they usually don't offer Platinum to new members without a lot of history but eventually did offer the Platinum challenge after I said I was Platinum with Starwood.

Waiting on email confirmation and status change to make it official

Called the standard customer support number on the website: 1-801-468-4000

Good luck to anyone else who tries
E mailed Marriott rewards yesterday and requested Platinum challenge. Received a long e mail about 6 hours later stating I will be given Platinum through June 30th. When I complete 9 stays I will have Platinum through 2/15. Told to email back with ok and status would change in 24-48 hours.

Much easier than I expected.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:44 am

I did the plat challenge last spring (ended in Aug I think) and came up short. I was in it for the 50% extra points on a high dollar work stay.

Anyways, I logged into my account this morning to see if the points posted from a recent stay, and I discovered they put me on a taste of gold challenge on their own. Works pretty well for me since its through June when I have a reward stay booked.

I suppose I could be a little annoyed since it will lock me out from doing a plat challenge at a more strategic time in the future, but I have a few stays booked in the next few months anyways, so its possible I might meet it (although I am not doing any mattress runs).

I just find its interesting that they didn't follow their own rule of 12 months between challenges.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Anyways, I logged into my account this morning to see if the points posted from a recent stay, and I discovered they put me on a taste of gold challenge on their own. Works pretty well for me since its through June when I have a reward stay booked.
I noticed this as well today. This is completely unsolicited and I'm confused as to why they have done this? Granted I have a bunch of stays coming up in April but I'm still trying to understand the mechanics behind this.

I also did a Plat challenge last autumn but came up short (confused number of stays required with number of nights).

btw dcpilgrim, how do you see that you're running only until June? I can't see any end date posted on mine.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I did the plat challenge last spring (ended in Aug I think) and came up short. I was in it for the 50% extra points on a high dollar work stay.

I suppose I could be a little annoyed since it will lock me out from doing a plat challenge at a more strategic time in the future, but I have a few stays booked in the next few months anyways, so its possible I might meet it (although I am not doing any mattress runs).

I just find its interesting that they didn't follow their own rule of 12 months between challenges.
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
I noticed this as well today. This is completely unsolicited and I'm confused as to why they have done this? Granted I have a bunch of stays coming up in April but I'm still trying to understand the mechanics behind this.

I also did a Plat challenge last autumn but came up short (confused number of stays required with number of nights).

btw dcpilgrim, how do you see that you're running only until June? I can't see any end date posted on mine.
Are you sure you are on a challenge? A soft landing would put you as Gold for the year after being Plat if you did not make Plat (unless they extended your Plat status). I have not done a challenge so I'm not sure of all the rules, but MR is pretty generous helping members maintain status.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Are you sure you are on a challenge? A soft landing would put you as Gold for the year after being Plat if you did not make Plat (unless they extended your Plat status). I have not done a challenge so I'm not sure of all the rules, but MR is pretty generous helping members maintain status.
I didn't fulfill the challenge last year, so I went back to silver and stayed there. Also, its pretty clear on the promo page that I am in a "taste" challenge.

Under promos central - your progress - see details it reads:

To keep receiving these benefits through February 2015, just stay 6 times between April 1 and June 30, 2013.

I have 2-4 trips in that period (2 booked). If last Thursday counts I guess I can scare up another stay. Especially if it vests a mega-bonus cert, although the expiration date on those is a problem for me since I am pretty much 1 vacation per year and I am trying to build points for a travel package for 2014.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Anyways, I logged into my account this morning to see if the points posted from a recent stay, and I discovered they put me on a taste of gold challenge on their own.
Just discovered the same for me as well – except that I've never requested a challenge before. Very odd! No e-mail notification (yet), I might not have noticed it until my next check-in.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kieron
Just discovered the same for me as well – except that I've never requested a challenge before. Very odd! No e-mail notification (yet), I might not have noticed it until my next check-in.
I gather they do this from time to time. I remember reading last year about people being irritated that they couldn't do a challenge because marketing had enrolled them on their own without informing them or the like. Unfortunately, the usual rule is you can't re-do a challenge until 12 months have lapsed from the end of your prior one. I can see how it would be annoying if you were planning a big trip and wanted lounge access from being on a plat trial (or the points) only to discover marketing played the card on you previously.

Given its Marriott's deck of cards to deal I have no complaints.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hilton
So I just took the taste of gold challenge. I wanted to take the platinum challenge but was on the cusp of 9 upcoming stays in the allotted time so decided to go for the sure thing. In any case it got me thinking. I know you can't go for a gold/platinum challenge within 12 months if you fail to complete a prior challenge but can you go for a platinum challenge within 12 months if you complete a gold?
Thanks for any input.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:14 pm

Ritz-Carlton Rewards complimentary Platinum renewal

Last year, I switched from Marriott Rewards to RC Rewards when I applied for the RCR visa.

One of the main reasons I got the visa card was the Gold status you maintain with $10K annual spend + $395 annual fee (of course, I have enjoyed some of the other benefits as well including a Club Level upgrade with cert in South Beach...)

Total stays last year was not high - less than 30 nights including the 15 from the Marriott Visa. No rollover nights I don't think. Which was OK because I would be Gold anyway regardless. (I challenged over to Hilton Diamond last year, and spend more nights in Fairmonts, which led to the reduction in Marriott stays.)

Returned home from vacation and found a nice letter from the President and Chief Operations Officer (HH) with RC Plat status through 2/2014. A pleasant surprise.

"Although you stayed fewer nights than required, to show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, I am pleased to renew your Platinum Elite status for 2013... In addition, to help you retain your Platinum Elite level through 2014, we're extending our Elite Rollover nights program."

Last edited by LarkSFO; Mar 12, 2013 at 5:43 pm
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bipolar
I know you can't go for a gold/platinum challenge within 12 months if you fail to complete a prior challenge but can you go for a platinum challenge within 12 months if you complete a gold?
You can start any challenge you want AFAICT, as long as the time has elapsed.

HOWEVER, note that the 12 months is since the expiration of the previous challenge! So say you started a challenge January 2nd 2013, that gives you until end of April. So you wouldn't be able to start a new challenge until May 2014.

I know this because I had a challenge last year and recently called in wanting to start a new one. They wouldn't let me until 12 months since end of last one. There was an offer to start a "manual challenge" made, wherein I would not get the instant status but the rep would tag my account so once I finished the stays I would get the status. I declined, will wait and start it later.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by bipolar
but can you go for a platinum challenge within 12 months if you complete a gold?
Thanks for any input.
I think the 12 month rule would still apply for anything you might do, but it seems Marketing can do what they like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.