Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by CLEguy
This is false.
Originally Posted by BearSmart
One of my meeting managers insisted that Group Posting Tool does not allow posting until 10 days after the event. My meeting was July 21. Hopefully it will be posted by Jul 31.
as CLEguy says, not true. if the property is on it, the points can--and do--post the same day, with 10 elite nights just a few hours behind.

there are also properties that (claim to) use the tool promptly and somehow screw it up--i'm still working on getting three of the meetings i had in june to post. (see upthread, there were 14 meetings going back to may, weren't posting. some still haven't.)

fwiw, when you email marriott rewards, or call them, they just call the person you've been dealing with at the hotel to follow up, since the points have to come from the hotel using the group posting tool...so if the person you've been dealing with will still answer your calls/emails, it's worth touching base with her before calling or emailing marriott. additionally, i have never received a response from any of the emails i've sent marriott dealing with my own errant property...but if you call them, and wait 20+ minutes on hold on the platinum line, they'll at least call the property (and speak with the same person you've been dealing with all along) in real time and possibly get you an answer. good luck.

edited to add: as RogerD408 says above, odds are the meetings will post, correctly, in the time she told you they will. but wise to keep notes of everything, just in case.

Last edited by karenkay; Jul 25, 2018 at 9:16 am
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

My other meetings posted within a few days as well.

It's going nowhere no matter how I approach the meeting manager. In her last email, she simply said she didn't know how other properties did it. Her experience at other Marriott properties always have the 10 days wait. I'm planning to email Marriott to inquire.
It's only a policy for that property. I've seen a property post the same day of the meeting; another property that claimed to do 10 days after but ended up posting it 8 days after.
Not sure what you expect Marriott to do, other than cause the meeting manager to get annoyed with you.
Move on and find a property that posts faster...
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
For those of you still looking to get your nights in, I have had a couple of hour-long meetings in the UK and charged a very reasonable 25 and 35 pounds for an hour - which is $32! Not hundreds which I read some of you are looking at to reach this goal!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
What percentage of you guys are no-showing your meetings? I have two scheduled (and paid for!) this week but won’t be able to make it to either. Both are quick 1-hour meetings. This comment from the events coordinator got me a bit nervous: “Rewards points will be entered at the conclusion of the meeting.”.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by callmedtop
What percentage of you guys are no-showing your meetings? I have two scheduled (and paid for!) this week but won’t be able to make it to either. Both are quick 1-hour meetings. This comment from the events coordinator got me a bit nervous: “Rewards points will be entered at the conclusion of the meeting.”.
For me, it was 100% no-show
dsquared37, UA-NYC and callmedtop like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Life Time Titanium Elite/ Hilton Honors Diamond
For my two meetings this week, MR told the sales manager to make sure I attended both and to "certify" it when submitting for the nights. The hotel had no clue what I was talking about when I first mentioned the 10 nights, got on the phone with MR, where someone explained it, but was told to "certify" I actually appeared both days.
yeunganson likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
The only risk is if they property chooses to combine the two meetings into one booking in the Group Posting Tool. Make sure to impress upon them to NOT combine them.
Hi RogerD408,

I've really appreciated your help so far in the thread. From my reading of the last few pages of the thread (as of 7/26), worries about meetings not posting correctly are overblown. Would you agree? I had a sales executive ask me, of their own accord, whether I needed 'separate contracts' when booking 7 meetings spread across a few days. I enthusiastically said yes, please, and asked for the contract numbers.

So long as I have separate contracts, I should be golden, shouldn't I? Because even if the property posts them incorrectly in the GPT, I can still appeal with Marriott and say that I did in fact have 8 separate contracts (7 + 1, 1 was the test run), and get my EQNs?

Thanks again for all your help.

-tq
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:00 am

Why 8/6?
Hey there, sorry I missed your comment! I have a stay coming up on 8/6 at a Marriott property, thought it'd be nice to get to use my new status there
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:56 am

Completed a few meetings at a property in Mexico and they're now telling me they can't post the points due to the meetings not being over $100?

"Total Revenue Meeting not met" is the message they're getting on the Tool when they try to post the points (the $100 was told to them on the phone).

Anybody run into this issue before?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Completed a few meetings at a property in Mexico and they're now telling me they can't post the points due to the meetings not being over $100?

"Total Revenue Meeting not met" is the message they're getting on the Tool when they try to post the points (the $100 was told to them on the phone).

A number of people here paid less than $100/meeting this month without issue. For my bookings, I received 3 pts per dollar spent plus 10 nights credit. Still waiting for 1 booking to be posted.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Viajero Millero

If I had to guess, I would say they are not using the Group Posting Tool (MR's name for the process) and using the other Rewarding Events process that is for someone booking group guest rooms. I'm finding many CSRs will not volunteer to dig in to find out what is wrong, but go along with the property saying it can't be done. That means less work for them. I would suggest a direct contact with MR and find someone that knows about the RE two different programs and see if they can help the property get this to happen.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC, Mileage Plus, Aeroplan, SPG
One of my meeting managers insisted that Group Posting Tool does not allow posting until 10 days after the event. My meeting was July 21. Hopefully it will be posted by Jul 31.
I think I may have some clarity. Apparently Marriott Rewards introduced a new tool/ updated technology a while back where you have to wait 10 business days. There are some properties that still don't have the new back-end system and do it the old way which requires manual posting by the sales rep and can be done asap.
yeunganson likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:34 am
soy

Programs: various
If booking via the online tool, do you need to sign anything or is it automatic?

I booked a meeting with the online tool for this weekend, and go the confirmation email, which includes T&C.
I also got a robo-email saying someone would contact me about room set up. That was 2 days ago and have heard nothing since.

Now it could be that they are old hands at this game and know a 6am meeting on Sunday for 30min is a status run, but equally I do not want any screw-up because I did not sign some sort of contract
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
There have been reports saying that as long as you book prior to Aug 1, they will honor the terms even though there is verbage saying benefits as of the date of event apply.
My meeting was July 21. Hopefully it will be posted by Jul 31.
I think due to this:

Official Announcement: Marriott and SPG programs to merge on August 18th

you may hopefully have a couple more weeks than previously thought, given that the date of Aug 1 was simply the previously assumed earliest possible date of the program merger.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Are folks finding that they generally get lower rates if they request a quote, versus finding properties with a quote readily provided? Most the properties I'm finding are $125-$200 for 1 hr... wondering if I'll get much cheaper if I start hitting the "request a quote" button and speak to someone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.