Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
The only true requirement is to keep them on separate contracts and posted individually. So even 2-3 meetings a day should work just fine. Again, just make sure they book them separately. Some will think they are doing you a favor (or themselves) by making one entry.
Okay, great! I will let the first one run through as a trial, then I will make multiple appointments and specify I need all of them booked on SEPARATE contracts.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:42 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by nick793
I'm 20 nights away from Plat 75 for this year, and weighing the $200 cost vs simplicity of hitting Plat 75 without issues.

Never been down this road before and damn am I cutting it close.
Is there a significant difference between Plat 50 and Plat 75 next year that would make this worth the effort?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Life Time Titanium Elite/ Hilton Honors Diamond
The 2nd property that was unaware called me back this morning and left a voice mail saying I am good to go, will get the 10 elite nights for each meeting and 3 points per $ value as well, however, they advised me that neither the nights nor the points will post before Friday so I don't know where that leaves me. I have contracts for today and for tomorrow but am concerned. They said MR told them I will be fine as long as I show and the contracts are for prior to Friday. Keeping my fingers crossed because they do not do hourly.....have to pay for full day. $350 per day but still averages out to $35 per night credit so I am good with that.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Litig8r1104
The 2nd property that was unaware called me back this morning and left a voice mail saying I am good to go, will get the 10 elite nights for each meeting and 3 points per $ value as well, however, they advised me that neither the nights nor the points will post before Friday so I don't know where that leaves me. I have contracts for today and for tomorrow but am concerned. They said MR told them I will be fine as long as I show and the contracts are for prior to Friday. Keeping my fingers crossed because they do not do hourly.....have to pay for full day. $350 per day but still averages out to $35 per night credit so I am good with that.
That doesn't seem super promising. No way any of mine will post by Friday. I still plan to schedule another 7 for myself to get to Platinum, but I wonder: if the nights post after 8/1 and you've met the 75 nights for 'old platinum' if you'd still get whatever the 'new' version of old Platinum is?

Last edited by taxquestion332123; Jul 24, 2018 at 12:55 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tomphot
Is there a significant difference between Plat 50 and Plat 75 next year that would make this worth the effort?
For lifetime Plat status? No.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi Flyertalk, Sorry that this has been asked so many times but wanted to confirm something about this program quickly.

If I find a hotel near me that offers meetings for $200/day bookable online (drops to $100 for 1/2 hr), and book thru Marriott's site directly - I shouldn't have any issues getting the timeslot and getting the nights from the meeting?

Assuming that the hotel knows about the group posting tool of course. I'm 20 nights away from Plat 75 for this year, and weighing the $200 cost vs simplicity of hitting Plat 75 without issues.

Never been down this road before and damn am I cutting it close.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, nick793.

If it has a Reserve button, and you pick the timeslot online, then you shouldn't have any problems getting the timeslot.

Be ware that even though you (presumably) don't order any A/V online and don't order catering online (and many hotels don't do catering for just 2 people anyway), you're likely to get an email from the hotel asking if you need A/V or catering before they send you the contract to sign. : Just politely and quickly reply that no, you don't need anything except a table and a couple or chairs, and pleese send whatever they need you to sign ASAP, thanks. (Some hotels use a form which you can electronically sign by changing a hollow square to a blackened square in MS Word or equivalent, but some use other forms you have to print and hand-sign and scan.)

I don't think you can schedule shorter than 1 hour online. But you don't have to stay there the whole hour, just stay half an hour and go back to the front desk and tell them you're done with meeting already and everything went great, and do they have your invoice or will it be emailed to you.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 24, 2018 at 6:45 pm
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't think you can schedule shorter than 1 hour online.
Yes, you can definitely book 30 minutes, and I think the scheduling tool is in 15 minute increments.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by taxquestion332123
I think I found a property and sales manager I can work with. I'd like to get to 75 nights before 8/6, so I'll have to schedule 8 meetings.
Why 8/6?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:57 am

Not for lifetime status. I was mainly looking at it so I could get 5 more SNAs, the United status, and banking on the hope that Marriott does a soft-landing (since I can probably requalify for Gold easily but Plat 75 wouldn't be feasible long-term).

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Welcome to FlyerTalk, nick793.

If it has a Reserve button, and you pick the timeslot online, then you shouldn't have any problems getting the timeslot.

Be ware that even though you (presumably) don't order any A/V online and don't order catering online (and many hotels don't do catering for just 2 people anyway), you're likely to get an email from the hotel asking if you need A/V or catering before they send you the contract to sign. : Just politely and quickly reply that no, you don't need anything except a table and a couple or chairs, and pleese send whatever they need you to sign ASAP, thanks. (Some hotels use a form which you can electronically sign by changing a hollow square to a blackened square in MS Word or equivalent, but some use other forms you have to print and hand-sign and scan.)

I don't think you can schedule shorter than 1 hour online. But you don't have to stay there the whole hour, just stay half an hour and go back to the front desk and tell them you're done with meeting already and everything went great, and do they have your invoice or will it be emailed to you.
Thanks! Happy to be here

Thanks for clarifying, I didn't realize that there was a delay from clicking reserve to signing a contract. If I didn't actually get into a meeting room until say Monday, is the going consensus that this will still qualify for the Rewarding Events program? Or not enough info to say?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Thanks for clarifying, I didn't realize that there was a delay from clicking reserve to signing a contract. If I didn't actually get into a meeting room until say Monday, is the going consensus that this will still qualify for the Rewarding Events program? Or not enough info to say?
There have been reports saying that as long as you book prior to Aug 1, they will honor the terms even though there is verbage saying benefits as of the date of event apply. Also, RE is slated to continue, the exact terms are unknown with rumors it will only garner 10-night credit for the first meeting (month, quarter, year, lifetime, unknown). Lots to learn still.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:12 am

One of my meeting managers insisted that Group Posting Tool does not allow posting until 10 days after the event. My meeting was July 21. Hopefully it will be posted by Jul 31.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by BearSmart
One of my meeting managers insisted that Group Posting Tool does not allow posting until 10 days after the event. My meeting was July 21. Hopefully it will be posted by Jul 31.
This is false.
karenkay likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:20 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I did 2 meetings, they both post within 5 days.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy
This is false.
I did 2 meetings, they both post within 5 days.
My other meetings posted within a few days as well.

It's going nowhere no matter how I approach the meeting manager. In her last email, she simply said she didn't know how other properties did it. Her experience at other Marriott properties always have the 10 days wait. I'm planning to email Marriott to inquire.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
More likely a property that batches up their postings or process assigned to someone that doesn't show up every day. It's too bad many have found making up a story is better than saying "I don't know" or having to go find out what their reality demands.

Very good chance it will go through without a hitch (and maybe even before the stated timeline). Just be sure to keep good notes on who/when/what should you need to challenge the results.
karenkay likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.