Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Both my out of town meetings posted ^ ^ Now if I could only find a room within 100 miles that was <=$100 would be delighted. Yes I used the tool and very few responded (I guess business is booming) and the ones that did want way too much $$$.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Both my out of town meetings posted ^ ^ Now if I could only find a room within 100 miles that was <=$100 would be delighted. Yes I used the tool and very few responded (I guess business is booming) and the ones that did want way too much $$$.
Hi, sorry, I've read through the thread and have seen the 'group tool' mentioned -- is that what you mean? As in, the property used it to book your meetings?

I tried calling a property yesterday (FFI) and the employee who answered had no idea what 'Rewarding Events' even was. I'm hoping to get a few in before 8/1, if possible.

Thanks in advance, any advice or insight is truly appreciated!

EDIT: Would it not be better to call the corporate group sales office and book, since they know what they're doing? I see recommendations to contact the hotel directly, but I'm not sure if that is because the group sales office would do something unwanted.

Last edited by taxquestion332123; Jul 20, 2018 at 7:24 am Reason: Added question
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by taxquestion332123
Hi, sorry, I've read through the thread and have seen the 'group tool' mentioned -- is that what you mean? As in, the property used it to book your meetings?

I tried calling a property yesterday (FFI) and the employee who answered had no idea what 'Rewarding Events' even was. I'm hoping to get a few in before 8/1, if possible.

Thank you in advance, any advice or insight is truly appreciated.
I believe it's using the website to request a quote and the properties choosing to ignore the request. I recently requested quotes from three properties and only one responded.

I have found FDCs to be among the least knowledgeable regarding program terms. As far as the Rewarding Events, the only question I would pose to the property is if they know of and use the Group Posting Tool as that is what triggers the 10 nights to post. The property has no knowledge (they don't pay for the nights) of that portion of the program, unlike the points.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I believe it's using the website to request a quote and the properties choosing to ignore the request. I recently requested quotes from three properties and only one responded.

I have found FDCs to be among the least knowledgeable regarding program terms. As far as the Rewarding Events, the only question I would pose to the property is if they know of and use the Group Posting Tool as that is what triggers the 10 nights to post. The property has no knowledge (they don't pay for the nights) of that portion of the program, unlike the points.
So would you say it's still a best practice to call the property directly and set up the event? Or should we call the corporate group office to book, then follow up with the property?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
So would you say it's still a best practice to call the property directly and set up the event? Or should we call the corporate group office to book, then follow up with the property?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
My approach would be to look online and pick a property that allows you to book (not request a quote) online and set the time for a one-hour meeting to see what price they offer. If that's acceptable to you, book it. This is the path of least resistance. If location is an issue (actually planning a meeting) and the property does not allow online booking, then call the sales manager (probably not the first person to answer the phone and definitely NOT a FDC) for the property to work out the details. The most important point is to get confirmation someone at the property knows of and uses the Group Posting Tool as that is the only way you will get the 10 nights from MR.
LuoboTiX likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:57 am

My approach would be to look online and pick a property that allows you to book (not request a quote) online and set the time for a one-hour meeting to see what price they offer. If that's acceptable to you, book it. This is the path of least resistance. If location is an issue (actually planning a meeting) and the property does not allow online booking, then call the sales manager (probably not the first person to answer the phone and definitely NOT a FDC) for the property to work out the details. The most important point is to get confirmation someone at the property knows of and uses the Group Posting Tool as that is the only way you will get the 10 nights from MR.
Fantastic, thank you very much! I will give this a shot today and report back.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:02 am

Is this still working or have Marriott closed it now? Do the nights usually post without needing to contact the hotel/do they usually use the group posting tool or only when theyre asked to?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slidey
Is this still working or have Marriott closed it now? Do the nights usually post without needing to contact the hotel/do they usually use the group posting tool or only when theyre asked to?
This is available. Some have contacted MR and have been told any bookings made BEFORE the programs merge will be honored. There is confusion whether this will remain intact after the merge or you might be limited to only one meeting earning 10 nights and then one night each afterwards. Some have even floated the idea the 10 nights might be once a quarter/year. But, like a lot of things with MPG, we do not have the details yet.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:57 am

This is available. Some have contacted MR and have been told any bookings made BEFORE the programs merge will be honored. There is confusion whether this will remain intact after the merge or you might be limited to only one meeting earning 10 nights and then one night each afterwards. Some have even floated the idea the 10 nights might be once a quarter/year. But, like a lot of things with MPG, we do not have the details yet.
Now if I could only get the sales manager at the property to answer my calls
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Thanks in advance, any advice or insight is truly appreciated!

EDIT: Would it not be better to call the corporate group sales office and book, since they know what they're doing? I see recommendations to contact the hotel directly, but I'm not sure if that is because the group sales office would do something unwanted.
Seriously? This has been asked and answered a thousand times. 99.9% of hotel staff do not know anything about Rewarding Events, including sometimes the sales/event department.
LuoboTiX likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, M Life Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Caesars Diamond, IHG Plat
I had my meeting at a Courtyard on Monday 7/16 for $100 + $21 fee. Points and elite nights posted yesterday on Friday 7/20. I signed a contract and requested that sales director to put in the special request section to have triple points and 10 elite nights stated. I showed up to the meeting for a couple hours and then checked out. Upon checking out I did not see my MR number anywhere on the receipt so I requested to add my account to the receipt, just in case. I received an email from [email protected] stating that my points and nights have been added.

Just sent a request for a 2nd meeting for next week, hopefully I can get that in before August 1st.

Offtopic question I have 35 nights with Marriott including my 15 nights from Marriott Chase card...will my SPG 5 nights from Amex roll over into my Marriott during the merger? Trying to make sure I get 50 nights for the Plat status.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by plzkthx
Offtopic question I have 35 nights with Marriott including my 15 nights from Marriott Chase card...will my SPG 5 nights from Amex roll over into my Marriott during the merger? Trying to make sure I get 50 nights for the Plat status.
they should...
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Woodsmit
I don't see anything to the contrary on the site but does anyone think there is a prohibition on receiving the 10 nights elite credit for each of three meeting rooms if all booked for the same day but in three different hotels? (ie not three different rooms in same hotel, but one room in each of three different hotel properties but on the same day?)
That hasn't been a problem in the past (for corporate booking agents).
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by aba_bab
SO glad I found a thread that talks about this. I only just found out about this 2 weeks ago and am in a mad rush to try and get to platinum. Had my first meeting yesterday, got another on Friday and a third the following Tuesday.

I'm a bit nervous after reading the posting issues written about above. My first two meetings sent me a contract form that actually asked about my rewards number, however the one I booked today did not have a section for that. I emailed the sales rep and asked where to include my reward number and she said I can just email it to her and she will insure it is on.

Any suggestions if I should further clarify this with her? The contract itself is exactly that.. a contract stating a business meeting etc.

Also - is there any confirmed information as to what will happen to this reward after August 1st? Is it going away/ getting devalued for sure?

Lastly - some users seem paranoid about getting the nights credits into the account before the program change - but isnt it logical to assume that as long as you have completed the meetings before the program merges (and might change), that you would get the rewards earned under the original terms when the meeting was done?
I saw some wording that said the points and nights awarded will be as the program specifies at the time of award. So meetings held prior to August 1 could still fall under the new rules if the nights aren't awarded in time.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
I saw some wording that said the points and nights awarded will be as the program specifies at the time of award. So meetings held prior to August 1 could still fall under the new rules if the nights aren't awarded in time.
Yes, and some have reported assurances that anything booked prior to the programs merging will get the nights regardless of when the booking occurs. Lots of conflicting statements and nothing official, so we will see how it all shakes out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.