Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
So, I had two legit events totaling over $10,000 at a property. Each event had its own contract. But Marriott's corporate sales staff screwed up and used one reference number for both contracts.

As a result, corporate Marriott can't give me the two, 10-night elite-qualifying credits that I'm due. So, this is something else to be careful for when doing an event with Marriott. Be sure the reference number atop each contract is separate.

The property claims they can't do anything. They've doubled my points (so about 100,000) as a goodwill gesture, which I thought was gracious considering it wasn't the property that screwed up. It was Marriott's corporate sales staff.

I'm going to push the issue with Marriott corporate, however, as I have a hard time believing that corporate can't just add the 10 nights to my account since it's corporate -- not the properties -- that award the 10 nights.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by pvn
I wouldn't automatically assume that meeting spend will count towards the $20k
Agree. For Hyatt, meeting spend posts as bonus not eligible spend.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:09 pm

I have two rewarding events that have not posted to my account after 1 week of completing. These two will bump me to Gold and I have an upcoming stay today for 3nights. I have ensured the local hotel has used the Group Posting Tool(confirmed it has worked 1mo ago). I have called Marriott rewards line only to hear them say they have their hands tied until the Elite credits automatically post in their system. Any way I can ensure they are pending in the system and/or expedite the posting process?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
I'm recently struggling to book meeting rooms at Asian properties under the programme. They either offer me a meeting room in a lounge for free (useless for me, as not part of the Rewarding events programme), or they have an extortionate rate for their normal meeting rooms.

E.g. The Plaza in Seoul wanted $500, the Marriott in Osaka wanted $450 for a 1 hour meeting. They think they're doing me a favour, but they're not!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rickastleyjr
I have two rewarding events that have not posted to my account after 1 week of completing. These two will bump me to Gold and I have an upcoming stay today for 3nights. I have ensured the local hotel has used the Group Posting Tool(confirmed it has worked 1mo ago). I have called Marriott rewards line only to hear them say they have their hands tied until the Elite credits automatically post in their system. Any way I can ensure they are pending in the system and/or expedite the posting process?
What does your contract state? Normally, it's 10 days.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flapster
I'm recently struggling to book meeting rooms at Asian properties under the programme. They either offer me a meeting room in a lounge for free (useless for me, as not part of the Rewarding events programme), or they have an extortionate rate for their normal meeting rooms.

E.g. The Plaza in Seoul wanted $500, the Marriott in Osaka wanted $450 for a 1 hour meeting. They think they're doing me a favour, but they're not!
It isn't unheard of in Asia for properties with boardrooms in the lounge to give guests with lounge access an hour of complimentary access to the boardroom.

You might ask to rent the boardroom for two hours. Boardrooms, even in lounges, can be rented and eligible for Rewarding Events. I've even done group dinners in hotel restaurants on an event contract.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by Flapster

Try Thailand. We had a couple of meetings there recently for 1200 and 2000 THB.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:40 am
Suspended

I don't have time to read full 134 pages, excuse me.

So OP paid 100~200 dollars per meeting and credit 10 nights in 2010. Now is 2018, I am willing to paid up to $700 for a small meeting for creating me 10 nights. Is this still doable ? I contact Taipei Marriott and they told me only points I would receive but nothing info about nights. any Asian hotel participating ? I am going to Bangkok in June. Do I need to contact every Marriott there to ask them if they have this offer?

I already check the link:Earn

You'll receive:
  • Maximum rewards of 50,000 points (3 points per $1 USD) or 15,000 miles (1 mile per $1 USD) with one qualifying event
  • Points for each room night, when you book 10+ guest rooms for at least one night
  • 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it
  • Instant Silver Elite status or Elite Night credit towards your next level up
is there any requirement for the meeting to meet the standard for earning 10 elite nights? Like size or minimum payment?

Last edited by Vince Chan; Apr 14, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
I don't have time to read full 134 pages, excuse me.

So OP paid 100~200 dollars per meeting and credit 10 nights in 2010. Now is 2018, I am willing to paid up to $700 for a small meeting for creating me 10 nights. Is this still doable ? I contact Taipei Marriott and they told me only points I would receive but nothing info about nights. any Asian hotel participating ? I am going to Bangkok in June. Do I need to contact every Marriott there to ask them if they have this offer?

I already check the link:Earn

You'll receive:
  • Maximum rewards of 50,000 points (3 points per $1 USD) or 15,000 miles (1 mile per $1 USD) with one qualifying event
  • Points for each room night, when you book 10+ guest rooms for at least one night
  • 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it
  • Instant Silver Elite status or Elite Night credit towards your next level up
is there any requirement for the meeting to meet the standard for earning 10 elite nights? Like size or minimum payment?
The hotels do not award the 10 nights. That's awarded by Marriott automatically once the property correctly posts the event. Most hotels, in my experience, aren't even aware of the 10 nights component.

You don't even need to contact individual hotels. Go on each property's website and submit a RFP request for an event. Either the hotel sales manager or Marriott's central sales staff will contact you within about 24 hours, sometimes 36 hours. If the rate they proposed is acceptable, you will get a contract to sign. The contract contains the Rewarding Events language. If it doesn't, don't sign a contract until the hotel sales manager or Marriott central sales staff includes it.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by price123
Try Thailand. We had a couple of meetings there recently for 1200 and 2000 THB.
If I need it next year, I know where I'm doing meetings.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
If I need it next year, I know where I'm doing meetings.
And if it's a "business" meeting it's a tax deduction.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
And if it's a "business" meeting it's a tax deduction.
I'd have to actually show up with a (potential, at least) client for that.

Hmmm... what if I did it to get status, and used the status to save money (e.g. free breakfasts) on business travel?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
I don't have time to read full 134 pages, excuse me........
Go to MyFlyerTalk and Edit Options and change "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" to 40 per page. Then you'll see a lot less pages, like 51.
C17PSGR and Twickenham like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by sethb
I'd have to actually show up with a (potential, at least) client for that.
No!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The hotels do not award the 10 nights. That's awarded by Marriott automatically once the property correctly posts the event. Most hotels, in my experience, aren't even aware of the 10 nights component.

You don't even need to contact individual hotels. Go on each property's website and submit a RFP request for an event. Either the hotel sales manager or Marriott's central sales staff will contact you within about 24 hours, sometimes 36 hours. If the rate they proposed is acceptable, you will get a contract to sign. The contract contains the Rewarding Events language. If it doesn't, don't sign a contract until the hotel sales manager or Marriott central sales staff includes it.

Much appreciated to your response. I contact one of Courtyard and they provide this link to me Earn Rewards at Marriott Hotels

And told me that in our CY, only room rates are qualify for points. This seems conflicts with the link OP provide that all most brands including Edition , CY, and Ritz participating with this rewards event. Maybe I have to book "10 Elite Nights when you book 10+ guest rooms for at least one night" to meet the qualification of 10 elite nights , instead of just holding a meeting ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.