Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
As I posted elsewhere, it would seem no changes are being made to Rewarding Events, as of August 1:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29700522-post683.html
I would bet that rewarding events is discontinued or reduced in benefit in 2019 due to the change in lifetime status qualification criteria.

With the old lifetime plat qualification criteria you could book 75 $100 meetings and hit 750 nights - $10 per night, $7500 in spend total. That spend would garner you a maximum of 60,000 points (3 points per dollar Rewarding events + 5 points on Marriott spend on credit card = 8 points per dollar, times $100 per meeting = 800 pts a meeting, time 75 meetings = 60,000 points, far short of the 1.2 million for Lifetime Silver, much less Lifetime Platinum).

With the new requirements just being nights + years at status, you could essentially buy Platinum 50 for $495 a year (15 credit card nights @ $95 annual fee, 4 meetings @ $100/ea = $495 and 55 nights). Points are irrelevant to the new qualification.

Devil's advocate:
1) The number of people actually willing and aware of using lifetime events for nights may be relatively low versus the gain in business Marriott receives from having meeting organizers at companies choose to book their meetings (and related rooms for participants) at Marriott Hotels.
2) I'm not sure what margin Marriott makes on room rates vs. meetings (may be higher % for meetings) but if it is higher, Marriott might consider that smaller amount of spend more valuable.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
Maybe they raised the rates now that the property is renovated, but until quite recently it was always $75 on Marriott.com.

$104 for this Friday night. $109 with 1,000 bonus points.

$93 for later this month.
I never have any luck locally with online requests... I always have to call the local meeting planner at the hotel. How do you find out meeting room rates at Marriott.com?... do you click the "request a quote" button and they get back to you?
Old May 2, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by dsperling
I never have any luck locally with online requests... I always have to call the local meeting planner at the hotel. How do you find out meeting room rates at Marriott.com?... do you click the "request a quote" button and they get back to you?
Some of the hotels list their prices online others dont. The ones that list the price you can reserve online.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I should have clarified those were the room rates, not the meeting room rates if you wanted to do a mattress-run.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
I should have clarified those were the room rates, not the meeting room rates if you wanted to do a mattress-run.
OH! Well, a mattress run only gets you 1 night while a meeting run gets you 10. Not sure why one would do that!
Old May 2, 2018, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
OH! Well, a mattress run only gets you 1 night while a meeting run gets you 10. Not sure why one would do that!
Because it's unknown if Rewarding Events will count towards the $20,000 threshold for platinum premier ambassador.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Because it's unknown if Rewarding Events will count towards the $20,000 threshold for platinum premier ambassador.
Even if it did, at $20K spend it's going to be hard. Even if the 10 meeting rooms (* 10 nights per meeting room = 100 nights) were $1K each and that was considered qualified spend, you'd still be short by $10,000. And most meeting rooms are $100-$200, not $1K/each.

Time will tell though.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:49 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
"Hello howtofreetravel,
I will be able to honor meeting planner points based on meeting room rental fee but not the 10 nights. Would you still like to move forward?
Thank You
"
I thought you get 10 nights?
Old May 5, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
"Hello howtofreetravel,
I will be able to honor meeting planner points based on meeting room rental fee but not the 10 nights. Would you still like to move forward?
Thank You
"
I thought you get 10 nights?
There are two different programs and many hotel staff only know of the one for booking blocks of rooms. The property is not the one that ponies up the nights, that's on MR. The question to ask is will they be using the Group Posting Tool once the meeting is over? That is how MR knows to post the nights.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:04 am
Suspended

Excuse me for asking again. But my hotel in Thailand responded to me that they can only credit consecutive meetings in the same hotel for 1 event only, so I might have to stating checking for the hotels in North America. But honestly it's a little tire for keeping looking for the right options and dealing with the staff about those.

I remember in previously pages, people mentioned that you don't actually have to be there in the event? Is this okay for qualifyiing Rewarding event? But how should I paid the fee after the meetings?

anyone recommending any Marriott in north America that is cool with that(no show in the event) and would credit the eligible nights correctly? thanks a lot. Most Marriott in Asia charges too expensive for meeting room rental,
Old May 8, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
Excuse me for asking again. But my hotel in Thailand responded to me that they can only credit consecutive meetings in the same hotel for 1 event only, so I might have to stating checking for the hotels in North America. But honestly it's a little tire for keeping looking for the right options and dealing with the staff about those.

I remember in previously pages, people mentioned that you don't actually have to be there in the event? Is this okay for qualifyiing Rewarding event? But how should I paid the fee after the meetings?

anyone recommending any Marriott in north America that is cool with that(no show in the event) and would credit the eligible nights correctly? thanks a lot. Most Marriott in Asia charges too expensive for meeting room rental,

This is a YMMV situation!

Some hotels will lump meetings into one if they are on consecutive days, as I understabd it that is their perogative. I have been told by some that they do this and I just move on to another property. Not worth the hassle!

I was told the same thing in Chicago when I looked at the possibility.

Same goes for no shows. Some properties wont charge you if you dont use it. It is not in the spirit of the program to do no shows for these meetings, some do and get away with it some dont as can be seen on this thread in many posts.

Hope this helps. This can be a easy way to get nights but it can take some work.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

It gets to be a laugh reading about the "local rules" that surface. What you are being told is not part of the program but could be a property prerogative. Finding another property may be the wisest solution, but you should be able to book the meeting, wait for it to post and then book another. Yes, will take longer, but you have till the end of the year to get the status you're looking at.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:21 am
Suspended

But what I am concern is that Rewarding events might no longer continued after August.(?)
Old May 8, 2018, 7:27 am
soy

Programs: various
But what I am concern is that Rewarding events might no longer continued after August.(?)
No reports that it will end in August, but even if it does, August is still 12 weeks away. If the amount of meetings you need cannot be booked in that time, I would question if its worth it going for status at all.
Sometimes we can get blinded in the hunt for status and do something that does not make financial sense
Old May 8, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
This is a YMMV situation!

Some hotels will lump meetings into one if they are on consecutive days, as I understabd it that is their perogative. I have been told by some that they do this and I just move on to another property. Not worth the hassle!

I was told the same thing in Chicago when I looked at the possibility.

Same goes for no shows. Some properties wont charge you if you dont use it. It is not in the spirit of the program to do no shows for these meetings, some do and get away with it some dont as can be seen on this thread in many posts.

Hope this helps. This can be a easy way to get nights but it can take some work.
I've had this happen when I did a no show and they didn't charge me. I tried to book again at same hotel sent me the email about 2-3 days after my event for payment and I paid them and got the points/nights. I tried booking a third event and they were non-responsive. I tried a different hotel and they were very responsive until after my event, they become non-responsive and no points or nights credited. Its only been a week though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.