Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jdang
I tried a different hotel and they were very responsive until after my event, they become non-responsive and no points or nights credited. Its only been a week though.
Ah, yes. We've got your money, now go away.

Last edited by bdschobel; May 10, 2018 at 12:53 pm Reason: language
Old May 8, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Ah, yes. We've got your money, now go away.
Haha. My friend is in another boat. He got points (from the same hotel as me) and when he emailed back, they said they don't offer nights. He pointed to them in the contract where it specifically says 10 nights but then he got no response after that.

Last edited by bdschobel; May 10, 2018 at 12:53 pm Reason: edited quote only
Old May 8, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jdang
Haha. My friend is in another boat. He got points (from the same hotel as me) and when he emailed back, they said they don't offer nights. He pointed to them in the contract where it specifically says 10 nights but then he got no response after that.
The property does not give up the nights, they come from MR. The property needs to use the Group Posting Tool to notify MR of the event's completion. If the property has no knowledge of the tool, then notify MR and ask them to retrain the property.
rmc1 and ab_initio like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, United Premier Silver, National Executive Elite
How long does it usually take to get your nights?
I got an email today with subject: Award Posted: Meetings and Events Group Posting Tool

it mentioned I got 291 points for my meeting and I see the increase in points on the Marriott App but not an increase in nights. I don’t see anything under “activity” and the points haven’t shown up if I check my profile on the website.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by RogerD408
The property does not give up the nights, they come from MR. The property needs to use the Group Posting Tool to notify MR of the event's completion. If the property has no knowledge of the tool, then notify MR and ask them to retrain the property.
I did an event at the Marriott San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf. They posted the points as bonus points, like a hotel would for a service recovery. The sales director said she never knew about the group tool and, as a result, the property never used it. The property is a third-party managed property. Needless to say, a lot of event planners have been shafted here. It took about three weeks, but I finally got the property to do it correctly after learning how from corporate.

Originally Posted by mciampa
I got an email today with subject: Award Posted: Meetings and Events Group Posting Tool

it mentioned I got 291 points for my meeting and I see the increase in points on the Marriott App but not an increase in nights. I don’t see anything under “activity” and the points haven’t shown up if I check my profile on the website.
Normally, the nights are posted right away but sometimes Marriott's night count takes 24 hours to update.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The wiki seems to only talk about requesting a quote.

But in my search around work, I see several hotels (just a fraction of them, though) that show a "Reserve" button in addition to the "Request A Quote"button, and show a day-long meeting rate. I tried going a few pages into "Reserve" at one nearby hotel, and the rate got cut in half when I only asked for one hour at 6 pm (right as I get off work).

If anyone has done both processes ("Reserve" as well as requesting a quote), how different are the two processes? Are things "simpler" if you use the "Reserve" process (ie, does it automatically generate the needed contract, etc)?

Thanks.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The wiki seems to only talk about requesting a quote.

But in my search around work, I see several hotels (just a fraction of them, though) that show a "Reserve" button in addition to the "Request A Quote"button, and show a day-long meeting rate. I tried going a few pages into "Reserve" at one nearby hotel, and the rate got cut in half when I only asked for one hour at 6 pm (right as I get off work).

If anyone has done both processes ("Reserve" as well as requesting a quote), how different are the two processes? Are things "simpler" if you use the "Reserve" process (ie, does it automatically generate the needed contract, etc)?

Thanks.

I have used both, but now I just go with the reserve button properties!

Much simpler and less hassle. Every time I have asked for a quote the rates are higher. In SFO the quotes I got back from the sales office in omaha were high.

With the reserve now you see the price right away. Easy!
Old May 8, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kauppias
I have used both, but now I just go with the reserve button properties!

Much simpler and less hassle. Every time I have asked for a quote the rates are higher. In SFO the quotes I got back from the sales office in omaha were high.

With the reserve now you see the price right away. Easy!
I second this. It's almost as easy as booking a sleeping room. I've done it five times for groups ranging from 2 to 45 people. The sales folks contact you, chat you up for any AV or catering needs, and send you an EO (Event Order) that you sign and return. That's about it. I can usually find a property to run a meeting using this, but in a couple cities I couldn't, so didn't bother to schedule a meeting.

Last edited by JackE; May 9, 2018 at 12:19 am
Old May 9, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackE
I second this. It's almost as easy as booking a sleeping room. I've done it five times for groups ranging from 2 to 45 people. The sales folks contact you, chat you up for any AV or catering needs, and send you an EO (Event Order) that you sign and return. That's about it. I can usually find a property to run a meeting using this, but in a couple cities I couldn't, so didn't bother to schedule a meeting.
They send the Event Order physically or electronically? How soon after Reserving? And you have to return the signed version physically or electronically?

I ask this because I'm going out of the country on vacation in just over a week (and don't know if I'll even have access to a scanner while traveling), and I'd like to book an event for three days after I come back, but I don't know if this back-and-forth would allow that or not.

Thanks.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
They send the Event Order physically or electronically? How soon after Reserving? And you have to return the signed version physically or electronically?

I ask this because I'm going out of the country on vacation in just over a week (and don't know if I'll even have access to a scanner while traveling), and I'd like to book an event for three days after I come back, but I don't know if this back-and-forth would allow that or not.

Thanks.
All the properties i've dealt with requires a physically signed and scanned copy.

Why don't you book it now? It takes me about 48-72 hours to book a room after initiating contact (usually less since they usually know me).
Old May 9, 2018, 4:58 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by mciampa

Mind sharing which property this was? 291 points should be $29.10, right?
Old May 9, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Yes I would be interested too.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA
Mind sharing which property this was? 291 points should be $29.10, right?
Rewarding events are 3x not 10x.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:20 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

Rewarding events are 3x not 10x.
OK< still not a bad price.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by rbAA
OK< still not a bad price.

Thats a 97$ meeting, quite an odd amount unless they are giving points for taxes too by accident.

100$ meetings are quite common for one hour meetings plenty of them are reservable immediately on The Marriott website, it just takes a little work and effort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.