Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by CDN_BOBCAT
This my first post on this Forum, I was so glad that I found it as I'm 70 nights short of 500 SPG BIB nights after traveling in a small regional area with twelve Platinum years before I retired a couple of years ago. My personal nights have dropped to about ten per year (now with my wife) so it was not going to be good to drop from SPG Platinum to MR whatever.

OK eight MR meetings will put me over the top to LTP not the top level, but good enough for me after all my loyalty to SPG. They were always my best bang for the buck during my working days.

I want to thank a couple of members up thread who pointed me in the right direction (via PMs) to properties that were co-operative and inexpensive, I will not out them at this point, but they know who they are.

My bookings are for the next ten days so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out as the 17th is not far away.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
If I'm understanding correctly you're at 430 SPG nights (+/-) and 12 years Plat. These Marriott nights won't count toward the 500 night SPG mark, instead they'll count for the newer Plat mark of 600 nights/10 years which is the combined program LTP hurdle. You might want to re-calibrate your strategy.
i jumped for the keyboard to say this as well. for lifetime status in 2018, you'll need 500 SPG nights or 600 nights if you're trying to marry them with marriott nights.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
Any property you find online cut the price in half thats your hourly. So your looking for $150/day or cheaper. No point in trying to get the $300+ to come down, they wont. They dont care if you book or not. Time is your enemy, you need to hurry. If you need 1 meetings always do 2. You never know if something happens.

1. Yes and confirm in email when the nights being posted using GPT
2. same as answer 1
3. Just pay it and get it done, your running out of time
4. Yes, if you show you will get it 100%.. If you no show maybe you wont.
Thanks! I ended up sticking with the $100/meeting property and got them to split the contract into 2 contracts with my rewards number. I explicitly asked if they would be posted to my rewards account using the Group Posting Tool and got this as a response: "These will be awarded separately after the meeting is over each day. The points will take up to 48 hours to show up in the account."

This wasn't a direct confirmation of my question but it seems that this should be sufficient?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by nick793
Thanks! I ended up sticking with the $100/meeting property and got them to split the contract into 2 contracts with my rewards number. I explicitly asked if they would be posted to my rewards account using the Group Posting Tool and got this as a response: "These will be awarded separately after the meeting is over each day. The points will take up to 48 hours to show up in the account."

This wasn't a direct confirmation of my question but it seems that this should be sufficient?
From all the posts, it sounds to me the GPT is an uncommon process that leaves me to believe there are two different postings required by the property, one that will get you standard points for spend and another (GPT) that signals MR to grant the 10 nights. I wouldn't push too much, you did good in getting them to acknowledge two different contracts. You should be good to go. Just keep an eye out for the confirmations but give them maybe a week to get it done.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
From all the posts, it sounds to me the GPT is an uncommon process that leaves me to believe there are two different postings required by the property, one that will get you standard points for spend and another (GPT) that signals MR to grant the 10 nights. I wouldn't push too much, you did good in getting them to acknowledge two different contracts. You should be good to go. Just keep an eye out for the confirmations but give them maybe a week to get it done.
Like you'd told me previously, I just booked the meetings and made sure I got separate reference numbers. Waited a few days (5 days from first meeting), and I was Platinum across the board. Couldn't have been easier. I didn't mention the GPT or anything like that, just made sure they knew I had included my rewards number.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Do we know if this will still be possible to do in the new programme?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors
Long time lurker in this thread, first time poster. Thought I would provide some metrics from my experiences. I needed only 28 nights (already >2M points).

I went with three different hotels in my area and got three different experiences.

tl;dr version: awards posted anywhere from 20 hours to 20 days, one without awards clause in contract. Never had to contact Marriott Rewards for help.

Hotel 1:
Springhill Suites, booked conference room for one hour at $55, about $76 AI. Did not have contract clause, contract very different than example at beginning of thread. I got confirmation from SS rep, made sure I did this on email, I would get the elite nights credit. She manually entered MR and put into system. Credit posted 20 calendar days after meeting .
May I please know which Springhill suites? The lowest one I was able to find was $75 plus fees. Thank you.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Do we know if this will still be possible to do in the new programme?
No, we don't know. At least doing multiple bookings, but at least the first meeting will. We will have to wait to see how it shakes out after the merge.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nick793

Agree with Roger, it should be ok. Just keep an eye out for 2 emails. Most importantly you tried to confirm so if you need to take it further it shouldn't be an issue.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hallelujah, the final three meetings from my problem property posted today.

it took countless emails and phone calls to the hotel and marriott customer service since may, plus my two hour call monday and a second one hour call to the corporate elite customer service when nothing had posted by yesterday (protocol: call regular customer service, wait 20 minutes on hold on platinum line, speak with regular agent, explain problem and then speak with this other well-trained person)...but it's finally done. whatever 'case number' the corporate agent came up with actually worked, unlike the half a dozen other 'case numbers' i'd been given previously.

what i learned that might be helpful to someone else dealing with a problem property:

it's possible your contact at the hotel is doing it right and the problem is with someone above him/her.

if s/he's using the group posting tool, give it 10 business days, but don't be afraid to call after that. first call or email your contact at the hotel directly (whatever customer service person you speak with at marriott WILL call your contact at the hotel first, so you may be able to save yourself some time, even though it didn't work in my case).

emails, especially now, don't seem to be getting much attention. ditto trying to get credit online through the marriott site. you're much better off calling, spending the time on hold and speaking with a human. if the human doesn't understand what you're going for, ask them to talk to their supervisor, or point them to the rewarding events page on marriott and go from there.

if you've got your ducks in a row and the property isn't being forthcoming, don't give up.

this may all be a moot point in a couple of weeks, as we still don't know what the program will look like going forward, but hopefully this can help someone else. ^
dsquared37, MasterGeek and rny321 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by karenkay
hallelujah, the final three meetings from my problem property posted today.

it took countless emails and phone calls to the hotel and marriott customer service since may, plus my two hour call monday and a second one hour call to the corporate elite customer service when nothing had posted by yesterday (protocol: call regular customer service, wait 20 minutes on hold on platinum line, speak with regular agent, explain problem and then speak with this other well-trained person)...but it's finally done. whatever 'case number' the corporate agent came up with actually worked, unlike the half a dozen other 'case numbers' i'd been given previously.
But other than that, things went smoothly.

I appreciate when posters come back to update us on their progress, or lack thereof, as you have done more than once. I am also grateful when those who asked for advice offer insights which may help others with similar problems. I'm glad it finally worked out!
karenkay likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karenkay
it's possible your contact at the hotel is doing it right and the problem is with someone above him/her.
Actually, the property is still failing, regardless how many people they have in the loop. Just like many coupons and rebates, they are betting on you letting it go.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, the property is still failing, regardless how many people they have in the loop. Just like many coupons and rebates, they are betting on you letting it go.
fair point. since the property does pony up the points, as I understand, they may well be hoping for breakage. ugh.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:49 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Hi all,
Update on the booking stats of my 8 requests (all different properties)
2 were slow in responding so decided to drop them off the bat.
for the remaining 6:
6 all mentioned that they will all credit the points between 1 - 10 days after the event. I made sure of this during the T&C signing and i mentioned that i want to ensure this property qualified for "Rewarding Events".
Of this 6, only 1 volunteered to include an additional contract that specifies "Rewarding Events" hence while i am not concluding this is a mandatory step, it just puts you in a stronger position. Let me know if you need this document* i can send it to you which can be easily appended to the existing BEO contract.

Good luck to those trying to run this final mile.

*Disclaimer: Be careful when accepting files online as i only provide them 'as-is'

Regards,
Xar
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xar
Hi all,
Update on the booking stats of my 8 requests (all different properties)
2 were slow in responding so decided to drop them off the bat.
for the remaining 6:
6 all mentioned that they will all credit the points between 1 - 10 days after the event. I made sure of this during the T&C signing and i mentioned that i want to ensure this property qualified for "Rewarding Events".
Of this 6, only 1 volunteered to include an additional contract that specifies "Rewarding Events" hence while i am not concluding this is a mandatory step, it just puts you in a stronger position. Let me know if you need this document* i can send it to you which can be easily appended to the existing BEO contract.

Good luck to those trying to run this final mile.

*Disclaimer: Be careful when accepting files online as i only provide them 'as-is'

Regards,
Xar
Just a caution here. There are two aspects to the Rewarding Events and many properties don't seem to know this. I wouldn't try to fix this for existing contracts, but in the future, if you need to, then make sure you specify RE and the use of the GPT. It's the GPT that triggers MR to issue the 10 nights to your account.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:44 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Just a caution here. There are two aspects to the Rewarding Events and many properties don't seem to know this. I wouldn't try to fix this for existing contracts, but in the future, if you need to, then make sure you specify RE and the use of the GPT. It's the GPT that triggers MR to issue the 10 nights to your account.
Hi RogerD408, Thanks for the tip. I do get a mix bag of responses when i mentioned RE + GPT.

But based on the sample wordings below, it should be the same effect.
1. "... You will qualify for 3 points for every dollar spent, excluding tax as well as 10 Elite Room Bonus Nights attached to your account .... "
2. ".. Rewarding Events is a Guarantee and attaches a link to https://www.marriott.com/meetings/rewards/travel.mi " (2 properties mentioned this)
3. "...I will be sure to post your points 10 business days after your meeting " [This response is risky so i tend to ensure what do the 'points' mean before committing]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.