Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W South Beach, Miami Beach [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nice pic of the studio duplexes. those i remember from older residential site. seems they were changed from this original plan - http://wsouthbeach.condoage.com/miam...n-Suite-B4.pdf wonder how size of plunge pool compares to penthouses and bungalows. ah, mega suites. https://www.starwoodhotels.com/whote...assId=83100066
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...h_Florida.html $700? base rate.

i see some penthouses and bungalows are in inventory now. as well as wow suites. (online)

also seeing bungalow $5K special - Live Large with HBO’s Entourage ("VINCE")

floorplans and base rates >
A $869 3BR sensational suite (2BR den)
K $869 2BR cool corner (oceanfront)
C $819 2BR oasis suite (1BR den)
O $779 2BR sanctuary suite

other 2 oceanfront >
M $650? marvelous suite
L ? (studio)

re view that came up earlier, roney palace condo building is north of w. gansevoort is north of it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12080696-post62.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 29, 2009 at 2:21 am
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Still needs training wheels

I encountered a whole bunch of small stuff from housekeeping finding me in the room at 9:30 AM and not understanding "please come back later",as a group of 3 maids just stood at the door knocking; to a neighbor at the pool literally getting a very measured tablespoon of guacamole with enough chips for two people and being questioned on why they asked for more? All these thing will be worked out though. Vibe is great, rooms nicely done, terraces a nice touch. If you are on the north side of the building and not on a very high floor, you will get the bass and people noise from the very hot pool scene until very late. As I was on a consolidator rate and only SPG gold during a fully booked weekend, I didn't expect any sympathy, but just an FYI. Enjoy if you come, you can now get starpoints on South Beach!

Last edited by 7Continents; Aug 4, 2009 at 6:34 am
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:03 am

Just found a pretty good review of the hotel on a new website that reviews hotels and takes A LOT of picture. Thought it might be of interest:

http://blog.oyster.com/behold-the-el...revealed-1042/
http://www.oyster.com/miami/hotels/w-south-beach/

Obviously not SPG member oriented, nothing on upgrades and such, but the pics are great and I like the overall look of the website.

Hopefully will be able to stay at the W Sobe sometime this year!
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Benjh
Just found a pretty good review of the hotel on a new website that reviews hotels and takes A LOT of picture. Thought it might be of interest:

http://blog.oyster.com/behold-the-el...revealed-1042/
http://www.oyster.com/miami/hotels/w-south-beach/

Obviously not SPG member oriented, nothing on upgrades and such, but the pics are great and I like the overall look of the website.

Hopefully will be able to stay at the W Sobe sometime this year!
Pics make a huge difference! These pics look much nicer than some of the dark ones I've seen. It looks like even the regular rooms/studios are pretty fantastic at this property!
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Pics make a huge difference! These pics look much nicer than some of the dark ones I've seen. It looks like even the regular rooms/studios are pretty fantastic at this property!
I agree with you. I like this new site so much I posted a thread about it in travelbuzz (not sure it's the right forum for it).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post12173485

Very good pics, and pretty good and interesting writing as well. I hope they'll start reviewing more than 5 locations (of which only Miami and NYC are of any interest to me).

And the "amazing studio", apparently entry-rate room, looks fantastic. Beware of pics taken with wide-angle lenses though!

UPDATE: I just realized they posted more than 300 pics of the hotel, including 160 of the rooms. That's insane!

Last edited by Benjh; Aug 4, 2009 at 11:19 am Reason: added update
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:40 pm

Upgrade question

Hello all-

i am staying at the W this weekend and noticed that as of today i am upgraded to a spectacular studio. Is there any chance that i might be upgraded to a nicer room if a nicer room becomes available? Do you recommend I call the hotel on thursday evening to see if they have any other upgrades available? how close to your check in date does spg update any upgrades to your account?

also, does the W allow for early check-in?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by persian316
Hello all-

i am staying at the W this weekend and noticed that as of today i am upgraded to a spectacular studio. Is there any chance that i might be upgraded to a nicer room if a nicer room becomes available? Do you recommend I call the hotel on thursday evening to see if they have any other upgrades available? how close to your check in date does spg update any upgrades to your account?

What is your SPG level? Like anything there is a chance.

As you know, upgrades are based on check in. Calling defeats the purpose of the published benefits (think if every person called/emailed/faxed for a better room the day before). Most properties seem to upgrade platinum's the night before. From what has been posted here and personal experience, upgrades are handled differently at each property based on occupancy and the number of elite members.

Please note, just because you see an "upgrade" today, do not be disappointed if when you check in that room type changes.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC E, SPG P, MR S
Hello all-

Ok, slightly off topic, but how do you see your upgrade status for a stay on the website?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by jhakkim
Ok, slightly off topic, but how do you see your upgrade status for a stay on the website?
When you log on to SPG.com and view the details for a particular reservation, your room type may indicate a higher category room than you booked. It doesn't always happen though. I've been upgraded many times when my online reservation showed no evidence of an impending upgrade. Some people have reported seeing an upgrade online only to check-in and receive the room category they booked. Lesson: don't get too excited if SPG.com is showing an upgrade for you. As Cheap Elite stated, it's based on availbility at check-in.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:09 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi persian316,

You might like to write to the property to request for early check-in. It may not be complimentary.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:25 pm

Question Twin Beds in W South Beach?

I'm SPG Gold and planning to use points in the fall for a weekend with a friend. Rooms are described as having a king bed. Anybody know whether it's possible to get twin beds?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:41 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by mauimix
...Anybody know whether it's possible to get twin beds?
It does not appear so.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 5, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold
Thumbs up Thanks, thanks, more thanks

Just have to say it:
  • Thanks to Flyertalk, was turned onto the art of the deal
  • Thanks to the Starwood forums, found out about the Free Weekend Nights promo
  • Thanks to this thread, found out about the W South Beach
  • Thanks to a few posters in several threads on this forum, I persevered for the past 3 days, hitting "Update" every few seconds on the Starwood reservations page whenever I was at my computer, until I finally found a Wonder Studio pop up, which I promptly booked for the wife and I over Labor Day Weekend

Thanks much to everyone, and to SPG for this great promo!!
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:24 pm

i am a platinum starwoods member. i am hoping that upon check-in i will be able to get upgraded they will have one of the suites available. knock on wood
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:27 am
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Can anyone confirm if they were charged a resort fee for the hotel, and how much? Just booked a Sensational suite (2 king beds / 1700 sq ft) for a weekend in August and didnt see anything about the resort fee on their website.

I will take pics and post if people would like to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.