Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Montreal, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Montreal, Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by banzani
The Exec club is now closed permanently, reason given was 'people complained as it wasn't a proper club offering'. While it wasn't a great club by any means, the possibility to grab an OJ or coke was much appreciated, so it's a deterioration for the hotel overall.
A good example of how the whiners ruin it for everybody else.

Cheers,
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Just finished a stay at the property and it is now my default in Mtl.

Nice big corner room (not sure if I'd call it a Jr. Suite).
Really liked the morning buffet brekkie.
Servers couldn't have been nicer, and at night when I went to redeem my drink coupon, my coworker who was staying in the hotel but has NO status was given a free drink as well (even though they didn't have to).
Really surpised at how decent the bar wine (grenache) was.
Also Wed. nites thay have a Plat appreciation cocktail thing in the bar on the second floor.
Nibbles, vino and beer (bartender kept my glass full) are compted.
One of the Sales Managers on hand to answer questions (a very nice helpful lady who also works for the Marriot - in Mtl. Marriot and Westin owned by same group.
Like I said a very pleasant stay with one minor complaint (TV is too small and there is only one in the "jr. suite").
Other than that minor irritant, I will now stay here instead of the Sheraton from now on.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
It is a great, great property, especially because of how they treat the Plats.

Very sad to hear that the lounge is closing. Besides being able to grab some cold water/pop, the place consistently had fresh fruit and granola bars available. But what I'll miss the most is being able to sit there and do some work with decent views. Too bad...
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Any one know how the "W" Monteal is? Planning on going in April. Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.0.1791 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by steppie
Any one know how the "W" Monteal is? Planning on going in April. Thanks
It's a standard W. Being a block away from the Westin, I always choose the Westin over the W.

That being said, nothing wrong with the W and I prefer the Westin. The gym at the W is quite small and in the basement, Fewer elevators (W is smaller than the Westin), no coffee machine in room (available coffee on the 2nd floor, sometimes with chocolate strawberries). W can also be loud at night given the club
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Other than a better looking staff...

Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.0.1791 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

It's a standard W. Being a block away from the Westin, I always choose the Westin over the W.

That being said, nothing wrong with the W and I prefer the Westin. The gym at the W is quite small and in the basement, Fewer elevators (W is smaller than the Westin), no coffee machine in room (available coffee on the 2nd floor, sometimes with chocolate strawberries). W can also be loud at night given the club
....and a hipper bar, I prefer the Westin to the W.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:12 pm

Was looking at getting a room there for my parents and niece for their 4 day August trip.The rates are way too high (for me)at this hotel right now to consider it worthwhile - $ 280 for a 2 Queen room??? Why? I suppose it is a nice hotel, but I cannot really find reasons to pay this much when I can get something nice as well at the Delta or the Hilton Garden Inn. I guess it's also aimed at business travel, but still the price is kind of crazy for what it is. I know people sometimes get it on Priceline or Hotwire, but doesn't seem like it's coming up...

Last edited by DealAddict; Jul 12, 2014 at 11:20 pm
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by DealAddict
Was looking at getting a room there for my parents and niece for their 4 day August trip.The rates are way too high (for me)at this hotel right now to consider it worthwhile - $ 280 for a 2 Queen room??? Why? I suppose it is a nice hotel, but I cannot really find reasons to pay this much when I can get something nice as well at the Delta or the Hilton Garden Inn. I guess it's also aimed at business travel, but still the price is kind of crazy for what it is. I know people sometimes get it on Priceline or Hotwire, but doesn't seem like it's coming up...
Given this is a popular business hotel I can find a CPSA business rate of CAD $172 Per Room / Night + charges & taxes = CAD $205 for 2-Queens for Aug 14-18.........CAA/AAA is $273 CAD, Flex rate $297 CAD

No penalty for changes/cancellations until 08/14/2014
No deposit required
Eligible ID required at check in
Complimentary Internet access (CPSA Deal)

If interested I can provide further info on the CPSA membership deal. Might be applicable to your situation for this stay and future one's?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:54 am

Thanks for the tip. Probably not worth it for me to join though just to get a deal on that hotel, as I don't travel in Canada that much.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by DealAddict
Thanks for the tip. Probably not worth it for me to join though just to get a deal on that hotel, as I don't travel in Canada that much.
CPSA Rate's work outside Canada too and many Hotel brands....$129 can easily pay for itself...hover around or below AAA in the US. You need to be a member to use it but check 8667 at Starwood for comparison

http://my.cpsa.com/product/Regular%2...dual,95,20.htm

https://www.travelsavepro.com/
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
This is one hotel where I've found that the SPG50 rate isn't too bad a deal.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Just spend a week at the hotel:

Location: This is my first time in Montreal, so picked a property strictly based on the combination of the right rate, as well as the reviews from FT. The hotel is located across the street from the convention center. The entrance may be slightly hidden, since there is a glass enclosure over the driveway. Valet is efficient, $31/day. Never had to wait more than 5 minutes to retrieve the car.

The hotel is within walking distance to the Old Port and Entertainment District. Also, it's one block away from the metro station, and close to the W Montreal in case you need a change of scenary.

Check-in: Very efficient. Standard platinum greetings. Included 1 drink coupon/day for me, but not colleague. No breakfast vouchers, but it was included (more on this later).

The lobby has a small self serve gift shop with overpriced candy bars, post cards, and supplies. The concierge is also helpful, and appears to sell tickets to local attractions since the couple in front of me got discounted tickets to the botanical garden. They will also mail post cards for free (a big plus in my book).

Room: I got one of the "You've been Upgraded" packet, and the upgrade appears to be on the higher floor with a view. Bonus: view of the convention center, which has a rooftop garden.

Everyone get complimentary basic internet, while SPG Platinum members get super speed internet for free (normally $11.99/day).

Breakfast: Since the FD didn't mention the breakfast benefit, so I assumed that it was not included, but it was. The hostess asks for your room number, and this is the only thing they need for free full breakfast buffet. The buffet is normally $26, and a la carte options are available.

The breakfast buffet has a nice spread of sausages, bacon, omelet of the day, scrambled eggs, and either pancake or french toast (or in one case, croissant french toast). There is also a cold station of smoked salmon, cheese, and cold cuts. This is in addition to the oatmeal, fruits, cereal, breads, and pastries.

Dinner: Had first night dinner at gaZette. Food was good, although could have been faster. Wines are offered by 6 or 9 oz, between $11-18 for 6 oz. Helpful hint: the restaurant is on OpenTable, and does offer 1,000 points reservations at times. In addition, it's on the SPG F&B list, and right now it has a 10% off offer for SPG members.

Overall: A good place to stay, and good value.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Wife and I are staying at this hotel right now for vacation. I booked before reading this thread and the complaints, but my experience has been only positive. Location works well for the touristy stuff, and the room and staff have been great. If there were problems in the past, it seems they are sorted out.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:29 am
Bob

Programs: AA 2MM
As between the Montreal Westin and Intercontinental is there a clear winner?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
As between the Montreal Westin and Intercontinental is there a clear winner?
Well, if you like swimming pools, the Westin's is closed indefinitely, and they'll send you to the IC.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.