Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Montreal, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Montreal, Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Platinum Upgrades

Any recent experiences by plats?

It looks like the Westin has a lot of junior suite type rooms labeled as "premium", but it doesn't look like anyone has received one as an upgrade. The stay will be on a weekend, so a club room will be useless.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:18 pm

I've stayed at the Westin four times (most recently two weeks ago) and have received a Premium room upgrade every time. They're quite good about upgrading plats at this hotel and usually do so one week in advance of your booking (provided they're not busy). On weekdays breakfast and hors d'oeuvres are provided in the club lounge and on weekends a full breakfast buffet (American/hot) breakfast in the morning and beer or wine or tapas in the evening, are provided in the restaurant. Internet is free and fast at that. When I was last there, the pool and hot tub were shut for repairs. The gym is very nice. On the whole, it's an excellent property. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by waserms
I've stayed at the Westin four times (most recently two weeks ago) and have received a Premium room upgrade every time. They're quite good about upgrading plats at this hotel and usually do so one week in advance of your booking (provided they're not busy). On weekdays breakfast and hors d'oeuvres are provided in the club lounge and on weekends a full breakfast buffet (American/hot) breakfast in the morning and beer or wine or tapas in the evening, are provided in the restaurant. Internet is free and fast at that. When I was last there, the pool and hot tub were shut for repairs. The gym is very nice. On the whole, it's an excellent property. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely give it a try then. Last time I was in Montreal the hotel looked very nice, but I stayed away because of the poor reviews. It sounds like a lot of things have turned around since.

I'll post my experience when I get back.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Fantastic staff

I just left the hotel after an incident packed week. I hope Peter Dunn is reading this, because his staff deserve to be publicly praised. Essentially my packages did not arrive - UPS managed once a gain to mess things up, but from Friday evening untill wednesday morning the concierge and the FDS worked tirelessly to try and make sure that my conference across the road went well. Here was a shining example of above and beyond the call of Duty.

The rooms were clean and of an International Westin Standard, the aircon was quiet, the tapas vouchers in lieu of a lounge fantastic quality and the breakfast was great. on the back side of the hotel (not in the building, but on the other side of the block) is a restaurant called Le Nantua which is fantastic (French) and the Tatami Sushi restaurant, although run by vietnamese still manages to do really great Sushi.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 8:12 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Any recent experiences by plats?

It looks like the Westin has a lot of junior suite type rooms labeled as "premium", but it doesn't look like anyone has received one as an upgrade. The stay will be on a weekend, so a club room will be useless.
I stay at Le Westin Montréal all the time either on business or visiting my relatives in Dollard-des-Ormeaux. I've gotten upgraded to a junior suite every time I've been there. The suite is neither bright nor airy (especially if you pull a low floor).The living area reminds me of someone's basement. HOWEVER, the last time I stayed there (a couple of weeks ago) I drew a high floor and had a nice view of Vieux Montréal. Staff is great. Gazette is good for breakfast (which is free for Plat). If you're looking for a great poutine before a Canadiens game, then go to La Banquise on Rue Rachel E. Ask me if you need any other tips.

Oh, and the great big bottle of Acqua Panna (CDN$10) is free for Plat as well.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
Thumbs up WOW

Just came back from a Saturday night stay at the Westin Montreal. In a word: wow.

It all started with the best platinum recognition at check in I've ever had at any Starwood property:

1) Offered points as my amenity gift.
2) Upgraded to small suite (separate sofa and tables in living room, two flat screen tvs, etc.
3) Told about the lounge on the 22nd floor - open 24/7 but only to grab a beverage or do some work. Fridges were stocked with several types of pop, juice and water. There were granola bars and a large fruit platter on the Saturday but no fruit on the Sunday. This platter of whole fruit was plentiful, even had HUGE dates which were delicious.
4) Offered a drink OR tapas item in the Gazette Restaurant (one per guest) for use on Saturday night since the lounge was not "open" on the weekend.
5) Was offered full breakfast buffet for two in the Gazette the next am. Both this and the drink/tapas INCLUDED taxes and gratuity. This small detail on its own is virtually unheard of in North America.

All of this was offered at check-in. The service from everyone - check in, servers, valet, concierege was excellent. I have never ever tipped at check in but the gal (I think her name was Sophie) at check in did such a splendid job, I gave her $5 with a "thank you for the excellent check in". If only all properties were so attentive to detail as this woman was.

The only drawbacks of my stay: 1) the pool was undergoing maintenance and therefore closed; and 2) there was no complimentary bottled water in the room. There was a large bottle, with a $5.95 price tag on it...

I am looking forward to my next stay at this property and would not hesitate to strongly recommend that others visit - clearly from the reviews of the past, this placed has turned the corner - big time.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:12 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by OMCA
Just came back from a Saturday night stay at the Westin Montreal. In a word: wow.

It all started with the best platinum recognition at check in I've ever had at any Starwood property:

1) Offered points as my amenity gift.
2) Upgraded to small suite (separate sofa and tables in living room, two flat screen tvs, etc.
3) Told about the lounge on the 22nd floor - open 24/7 but only to grab a beverage or do some work. Fridges were stocked with several types of pop, juice and water. There were granola bars and a large fruit platter on the Saturday but no fruit on the Sunday. This platter of whole fruit was plentiful, even had HUGE dates which were delicious.
4) Offered a drink OR tapas item in the Gazette Restaurant (one per guest) for use on Saturday night since the lounge was not "open" on the weekend.
5) Was offered full breakfast buffet for two in the Gazette the next am. Both this and the drink/tapas INCLUDED taxes and gratuity. This small detail on its own is virtually unheard of in North America.

All of this was offered at check-in. The service from everyone - check in, servers, valet, concierege was excellent. I have never ever tipped at check in but the gal (I think her name was Sophie) at check in did such a splendid job, I gave her $5 with a "thank you for the excellent check in". If only all properties were so attentive to detail as this woman was.

The only drawbacks of my stay: 1) the pool was undergoing maintenance and therefore closed; and 2) there was no complimentary bottled water in the room. There was a large bottle, with a $5.95 price tag on it...

I am looking forward to my next stay at this property and would not hesitate to strongly recommend that others visit - clearly from the reviews of the past, this placed has turned the corner - big time.
Wasn't aware they had a lounge on the 22nd floor. Interesting. BTW, that bottle of Acqua Panna in the room is free for GLD and PLT.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
Yes, lounge on the 22nd which is the Westin Executive Club level. It is smaller than the massive lounge at the Sheraton Montreal, but still a very good size imo. Two fridges stocked with drinks, healthy looking granola bars and fruit were available and clearly a set up for appetizers in the evening. The best was the view of the harbour though - very nice vantage point.

Re. the water, I wish someone had told me...I could of asked as a Plat, of course, but I didn't bother - plenty of beverages in the lounge anyways.

Btw, for weekend parking, if you want to avoid the $24 approx valet, street parking is metered at a staggering $3/hr, 3/hr max which applies until 21h00 weeknights, Saturday 9h00 - 18h00 and Sunday from 13h00 - 18h00.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:03 am
uxb

Originally Posted by OMCA
Yes, lounge on the 22nd which is the Westin Executive Club level. It is smaller than the massive lounge at the Sheraton Montreal, but still a very good size imo. Two fridges stocked with drinks, healthy looking granola bars and fruit were available and clearly a set up for appetizers in the evening. The best was the view of the harbour though - very nice vantage point.

Re. the water, I wish someone had told me...I could of asked as a Plat, of course, but I didn't bother - plenty of beverages in the lounge anyways.

Btw, for weekend parking, if you want to avoid the $24 approx valet, street parking is metered at a staggering $3/hr, 3/hr max which applies until 21h00 weeknights, Saturday 9h00 - 18h00 and Sunday from 13h00 - 18h00.
Yeah... I guess that was the trade-off... I asked about free water, but didn't ask about a lounge. :-P
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; VIA Privilege
My home away from home

Le Westin Montreal is my home away from home. Everyone of the hotel staff knows me by first and last name.I get all the usual platinum benefits and get an upgrade every week , usually to the highest floor with the best city or mountain views.
The hotel staff goes above and beyond in customer service. They recognize my loyalty by offering free beer once in a while. The entire staff bought me a nice bottle of ice wine for my birthday and surprised me. I can walk into the pantry anytime I want and pick up snacks (sometimes for free).
Gazette is good for breakfast but the only drawback in this hotel is Gazette's dinner menu. There are not many options in the menu.
I also reward them with good tips.

This is by far the best starwood hotel I stayed at.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
Loved the hotel. Modern, clean, excellent staff, very hospitable and eager to please. Liked the location. Lounge was nice... no suite upgrade for me but a nice room on the floor with the lounge. Agree with the comment about the restaurant... excellent for breakfast, but sort of a weird, ill conceived menu for dinner... unusual, unappetizing dishes and very expensive. When I asked about the menu to the waiter at breakfast, he said it's not very busy for dinner. No wonder why.

My son LOVED the pool... it's positioned over the main entrance driveway area and has a glass bottom. So if you look up when you enter the hotel you can see people in the pool. I've never seen anything like that before.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
In reading the last few comments, I had to doublecheck I was in fact reading about Le Westin Montreal.

I arrived at this property for what should have been a three night stay last week and right at check-in I could tell things were not going to go well. The front desk staff member couldn't find my name, then called someone behind the scenes and produced a Platinum cardholder with a pre-done key. No amenity mentioned, no late check-out mentioned, no upgrade mentioned. I was tired and needed to make some calls so I headed upstairs to find a 'corner' room with 2 huge concrete pillars blocking any view at all and one TV facing 90 degrees away from the bed with no swivel option. There were 2 chairs between the pillars making socializing with colleagues rather awkward. I too noticed the Aqua Panna water for $6 on the dresser but had no idea is was complimentary and...when I called downstairs, I was brought 2 25 cent value Nestle waters - why didnt she just tell me to take the one with the price on it in my room?!? The bathroom was super tiny which I could handle but the shower had awful pressure...in fact, almost none, no matter what setting it was on.

When my colleagues arrived at the hotel (no status whatsoever) I visited their room and low and behold it had a sofa and chair in a TV room entrance, and 2 chairs in the bedroom area. I kept my mouth shut but was a bit irritated by what is some bizarre room assigning at the front desk.

After my function the next day, I called down to enquire about the room type I was in and was informed it was a Grand Deluxe Corner View Room. Interesting. Grand? Bullocks. Deluxe? Double bullocks. Corner View? Perhaps, if you stand between the two pillars. I made an enquiry at a certain W property 2 blocks away and given that they had rooms left I decided to leave this property for greener pastures.

My treatment at the W was what I expect for being a loyal Plat member. Nice room (not the best upgrade I've ever received but no real complaints) and the rain shower and bath were far ahead of the Westin amenities offered plus Acura car service around the city and they even dropped me off at the Via station the next day for my trip to Quenbec City.

So for me, I would rank Le Westin Montreal last of my Starwood choices in Montreal (not incl Sheraton Laval).
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:19 am
uxb

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
In reading the last few comments, I had to doublecheck I was in fact reading about Le Westin Montreal.

I arrived at this property for what should have been a three night stay last week and right at check-in I could tell things were not going to go well. The front desk staff member couldn't find my name, then called someone behind the scenes and produced a Platinum cardholder with a pre-done key. No amenity mentioned, no late check-out mentioned, no upgrade mentioned. I was tired and needed to make some calls so I headed upstairs to find a 'corner' room with 2 huge concrete pillars blocking any view at all and one TV facing 90 degrees away from the bed with no swivel option. There were 2 chairs between the pillars making socializing with colleagues rather awkward. I too noticed the Aqua Panna water for $6 on the dresser but had no idea is was complimentary and...when I called downstairs, I was brought 2 25 cent value Nestle waters - why didnt she just tell me to take the one with the price on it in my room?!? The bathroom was super tiny which I could handle but the shower had awful pressure...in fact, almost none, no matter what setting it was on.

When my colleagues arrived at the hotel (no status whatsoever) I visited their room and low and behold it had a sofa and chair in a TV room entrance, and 2 chairs in the bedroom area. I kept my mouth shut but was a bit irritated by what is some bizarre room assigning at the front desk.

After my function the next day, I called down to enquire about the room type I was in and was informed it was a Grand Deluxe Corner View Room. Interesting. Grand? Bullocks. Deluxe? Double bullocks. Corner View? Perhaps, if you stand between the two pillars. I made an enquiry at a certain W property 2 blocks away and given that they had rooms left I decided to leave this property for greener pastures.

My treatment at the W was what I expect for being a loyal Plat member. Nice room (not the best upgrade I've ever received but no real complaints) and the rain shower and bath were far ahead of the Westin amenities offered plus Acura car service around the city and they even dropped me off at the Via station the next day for my trip to Quenbec City.

So for me, I would rank Le Westin Montreal last of my Starwood choices in Montreal (not incl Sheraton Laval).
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'll be the first to admit that this hotel has some bad feng shui. The junior suites are abhorent w/ their basement-bunker stylings. That aside, I was never mistreated by the front desk, and only found out about the Acqua Panna water by asking the front desk.

As a rule of thumb, when in doubt about your platinum benefits at a property: ASK.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:01 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Had a good stay

Just checked out after a 2-nighter. Was upgraded to a club-level room. Not offered suite, and didn't ask. The club lounge has some chairs and couches, but breakfast is in the restaurant. Good spread for the breakfast buffet. Lounge has juice, soda, and water till 11 pm . And some granola bars and some fruits.
Room is spacious. Two large queen beds, and still plenty of room to move around in. Bathroom is large, and shower stall is supersized. Decent water pressure. Was in room xx07. Not connected or facing elevators, but for some reason I could hear elevators stopping and going all night long. Don't understand why. It wasn't too bad, but it certainly was a bit of annoyance.
There is a fridge in the room, and it's empty so you can store your own drinks and snacks, etc. Great. Two free bottles of water in room, which was replenished next day.
Large flatscreen TV. Inroom safe. Coffeemaker.
All in all, a comfortable stay.
Check in, out, valet, and restaurant staff all very courteous.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 8:58 pm

Recent Plat Treatment

Have any plats stayed here recently? Are they still offering free restaurant buffet breakfast and drink/tapas vouchers for weeken guests the lounge I closed? Txs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.