Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Montreal, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Montreal, Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2009, 12:47 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by Flews
Ditto. I'm now at the point where my expectations are so low I keep taking a pass in lieu of the other Montreal properties where I know I will have a decent stay.

Cheers,
I'm there with you on this one.

Just back from another short stay at the W. Out of curiosity, I walked over to the Westin on the way back from dinner. The entrance area was pretty bare and it seems to be understaffed. There were 2 people waiting for cabs and no one really helping them. Lobby still looks "unfinished" and general area still smells like construction.

I'll wait a couple months for things to settle down here before trying again.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:15 pm

I just got back from a stay there and overall things are still a little bit off. Check in was slooooow. I think I waited about 15 minutes before getting served with only one person ahead of me in line. I ended up being served by one of the concierges. There is a spot for platinum and gold members but as with most hotels it isn't very easy to get to when there are actually people waiting to be served without seeming like a lout.

The hotel was quite full (but not sold out like the W where I had wanted to stay with my free night) so then it took a few minutes to find a room. The Westin refresh station had some nice lemonade and ice tea to help pass the time.

I ended up with a corner room ending in 09.

There is a private hallway shared by rooms 08 and 09 so I didn't notice any of the noise problems that others had mentioned. Maybe the 08 room was not occupied though.

The room was just weird. The room was very big but it just didn't make sense. There is a part of the room that is about 8' by 4' that has absolutely no functionality. It looks like it was meant to be part of the bathroom but then they changed their mind on what they wanted to do with it.

In the bathroom there was a very large walk-in shower but no tub which was fine by me. Two bars of soap still though.

There was a fridge in the room which had some drinks that had been left by the last guest. No mini-bar though as mentioned in other posts.

The oddities continued the next morning. I pressed the elevator button when I went to check out but no light came on. I mashed it a few more times but I didn't hear any movement so I figured that maybe there was a problem with the elevator on my floor.

I went down a floor and ran into another guest who informed me that the elevators were out. After trudging down the stairs I checked out and heard that the service elevators were still up so if I had had to go up there would have been an option there.

All in all, most things will get better. The staff will learn to check people in faster and the elevators will work most of the time. Those corner rooms though will remain weird though... I guess they would be good if you wanted to set up a play area for your kids.

Oh, one other nice thing - free internet. A code is given at check in if you want it.

Last edited by SensFan; Aug 9, 2009 at 7:32 pm
Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:32 pm

Lounge?

I'm thinking about booking a room here (due to availability) next month, despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews thus far.

Can anyone comment about the Club/Executive lounge and its hours/offerings?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
I am at the Westin now and was upgraded to a junior suite on the 15th floor (what they called a premium room). This is not on the club floor, but I do have access to the lounge and free wi-fi access. This helps take the sting out of the $26 valet parking here (there is a lot across the street that is a much better deal - $7 for overnight if you park after 5pm and out by 7.30 am).

The lounge was closed when I went up at 8pm - I will do a follow up report on it tomorrow. Big bottle of water compliments of SPG, but no fridge in this room (just an empty spot in the cabinet where it should be).

Check in was not an issue - 3 people at the desk, and I was recognized as a Plat and told how much they appreciate my loyalty and the fact that I was upgraded ^

Good location if you want to check out the Port of Montreal (the old town).

CC
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
I'm thinking about booking a room here (due to availability) next month, despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews thus far.
While my review is pretty negative I would stay here again. A lot of the weird/bad things should be fixed soon and the staff was courteous and doing their best (just lacking in numbers).

Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
Big bottle of water compliments of SPG, but no fridge in this room (just an empty spot in the cabinet where it should be).
Keep looking and you might still find a fridge. The fridge I had in my room wasn't in the cabinet, that would just be too logical. It was in a nook, hidden out of sight. You had to trek around the room to find it.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:48 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by SensFan
...Keep looking and you might still find a fridge. The fridge I had in my room wasn't in the cabinet, that would just be too logical. It was in a nook, hidden out of sight. You had to trek around the room to find it.
LOL. Not the same hotel or even the same brand, but this weekend our minibar at the Sheraton Seattle was in the chest of drawers. The front of it looked exactly like the other drawers, so if the attendant had not come in on the first day of our stay to take inventory, I'm not sure we would have ever found it. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I told the wife that this hotel did not have minibars based on my previous stay there.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:10 am

Sort of like the time I didn't know I was in a suite because I neglected to open a door that led to a wonderful living and dining area, along with kitchen and second bath!

Spent the whole stay, oblivious, in the bedroom...

Cheers,
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
The Lounge here is nice, albeit a little small (when you compare with Le Centre Sheraton). Breakfast was a mix of fruits, yogurt, toast, muffins and regular coffee (no decaf). There was also some smoked salmon for those who enjoy it. In addition to regular Orange Juice, they also had bottles of Tropicana OJ as well as Cranberry Juice in one of their fridges.

Staff (2 at the time I was there) said hi, but otherwise just stayed clear and let me eat, which was fine by me.

View is not nearly as nice as the Sheraton, but the building is much shorter. Sheraton also has Specialty Coffee (Latte, etc..) which is a nice plus.

CC
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:32 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Just checked out of Le Westin Montreal after a two night stay; I had been here once previously shortly after opening in June and it was definitely a work in progress. I am happy to report that this is no longer the case.

Arrived at around 8pm Sunday night. 4 staff members working the front desk, and no other guests so check in was quick and easy. My platinum status was recognized and I was asked if I preferred the 500 points as my welcome amenity. Had booked a standard room with two queens (as a king was not available at the time) and was upgraded to a deluxe king, which was a large northwest corner room on a high floor. The view to the north was great, west not so much as you face directly at the Hotel Intercontinental next door. I'd definitely avoid west facing views if you can, all other directions should be fine.

I ate dinner at the Gazette Restaurant after I arrived and had the duck - it was excellent. It was busy but the bar is quite large and I snagged a seat there so that I could watch Sunday Night Football while I ate.

Upon check-in I was also informed that the lounge would be closed on Monday morning, and instead was given a coupon for a free continental breakfast at the restaurant with the option to upgrade to the full hot buffet for $5. The lounge re-opened Monday night and was quite busy when I stopped in around 6pm. It's a lot smaller than the lounge at the Sheraton Montreal, though at least it has a plasma tv. The food offerings are almost identical to those at the Sheraton.

I didn't have a chance to use the Westin Workout facilities but I did stop in to have a look, and it definitely appears to be an improvement over the cramped gym at the Sheraton.

Overall I was quite impressed with my stay, and I think the Westin may become my new destination of choice in Montreal. I'm at the Sheraton tonight giving it one more chance (it certainly is improved recently, but I still think I prefer the Westin) and I'll give the W a go later this week as well.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: UA, SPG Gold
Great Stay

I just returned from a 2 night stay and could not have been more satisfied with the property or level of service.

Check-in was very quick on Saturday, late morning. Three staff with one dedicated to Gold/Plat line. We were assigned to xx15, a traditional queen room. The room is joined with xx16 by a common reception hall to form a 2 room suite. Good view of Montreal with a glimpse of the Mont.

Everything was in good order in the room, as it should be for a 4 month old hotel. Good use of space. Bathroom was large and well laid out. It was also spotless. My wife and I did miss the heavenly shower . We were 3 in the room and needed extra towels. I happened to see the chambermaid in the hall and she gladly provided extra 'heavenly' bath sheets. What was nicer is she remembered the following day and left additional towels when she serviced the room.

We dealt with 3 different concierge during our stay. They all seemed very capable and provided excellent recommendations on food, shopping and touring. They were not able to get us into a 'hot' restaurant, but that is my fault for not planning better and forwarding a request earlier in our planning process.

We had a drink in the bar at Gazette. Again, very friendly staff who were happy to put on American Football on TV. We did not eat in the hotel.

We did not use the pool or gym but did walk through. It appeared to be an excellent facility with a good number of weight and cardio machines. The pool was on the small side, but I was not expecting much from a city hotel.

Doormen/valet were helpful with the doors but didn't seem to have the taxi rank sorted out. On multiple occasions, I walked up to the first taxi in line and let myself in. A very small issue but it wouldn't hurt for the doorman to ask if a taxi is needed, and if yes, call one to the door.

I also had a couple of questions pre-arrival. The 'contact us' address on the website must be manned 24/7/365. Each e-mail was responded to, almost immediately, without fail. All responses were thorough. An excellent service.

One note - - - it is a very new property. I do not have any sensitivities to the 'smell' of new construction but if you have issues with VOCs, be careful. The rooms were odor-free but the common areas had a noticeable odor - - - perhaps adhesives for the carpeting?

I would strongly recommend this property to friends and family and would stay again.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:23 pm

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, SkyMiles,Avis
Work in progress

Just cam back from Le Westin Montréal, I had a great time.
I concur with other FTalker that this hotel is still a work in progress: no minibars yet and the pool (who has been leaking) is now closed. They provide us with a pantry at the front desk and access to the newly renovated Intercontinental next door.

Staff is very pleasant, yet a nice mix of experienced hoteliers and greener ones. They are still trying to go at the right pace, service wise, and I feel are anxious as we are to have the hotel at its full potential. The poor 'service express' lady kept apologising all the time when I called and requested something that was not available.

Truly, this will be a gem but they need to really fix things fast up so they can attract the right crowd and keep everyone happy.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Great hotel

So I decided to stay at the new Westin this week due to their 5,000 point per stay bonus. I felt bad at first, because I am a huge W Montreal fan- I stay there almost weekly- and hit Plat for the first time there. I know the staff very well and they treat me like Platinum- I have received some of my most jaw dropping upgrades there^ However, being the points hound that I am- I couldn't resist the bonus As much as I wanted to hate the Westin (especially due to initial reports), I actually had a great stay.

Arrival- Hotel looks great from the outside and has a covered drive in area for check in (unlike W that has no overhang or heated arrival area.)
Check-in- I arrived early (around noon) and they had a room ready by 1pm. Free wifi in the lobby made the wait a non-issue and was happy they could accommodate. The W always gets me in a room when I arrive (no matter what time) so slight edge there.
Plat Recognition- The agent recognized Plat status right away and said that I was upgraded to a Deluxe room. I asked her if they had suites and she said they have them (executive suites, junior suites and the Presidential Suite) but none were available. She said the Deluxe Rooms were really nice and that she would look to get me on a high floor with a view. Unfortunately nothing higher was available and I really didn't about a view. I was a little skeptical of the "Deluxe Room"- didn't sound much like an upgrade. She also explained that the lounge was closed so she gave me a free drink coupon for the bar and a free breakfast coupon for the buffet in Gazette (the restaurant). She then gave me my keys without asking my amenity. I reminded her and she confusedly told me they didn't have in-room movies yet so they'd default to points. I thanked her and went on my way. Hotel lobby is large and bright. Elevators kind of small, but clean. I kind of smelled a paint/new car smell, but it wasn't overbearing and I stopped noticing it after a minute.
Room- I was pretty impressed. Square footage wise it probably compares to the Fantastic suites at the W (standard Plat upgrade at W). Nice couch and sitting area, wooden desk and of course, wonderful Heavenly bed. Bathroom was big with a tub shower with Heavenly shower head.
A couple pics (Sorry for poor quality- taken on BlackBerry)

Restaurant/Room Service- This is a real positive- Menu is fantastic and service impeccable. This is a major downside of the W- the menu is confusing, never changes and is EXTREMELY expensive. It is very difficult to stay within a per diem eating at the W. I had lunch in the restaurant and ordered room service for dinner. The bartender was extremely friendly and the room service was delivered within 20 minutes. About 5 minutes into my meal, the room service delivery attendant called to make sure everything was okay ^^
Free breakfast buffet was superb. It was much better than any lounge offering- even the Diplomat. Full offering of cereal/oatmeal/eggs/meats/smoked salmon/ bagels/fresh juices. Free breakfast coupon includes coffee and tax/tip. :-::-::-::-::-: This blows away the W which charges $9 for a room service coffee and has no lounge or free plat benefits.

Overall, the Westin is a great hotel, especially for business travelers. The rooms are bright and have nice large desks for work. I did have an issue with unreliable WiFi in the room, but I'm not sure if that was just my laptop.
The bed was amazing (much better than the W bed) and there were lots of plugs/ light (something the W lacks).

Overall, I will definitely keep staying there as long as they offer the 5k bonus..and probably after. I think it would behoove them to rename their "Deluxe Room" because it sounds lackluster. They could probably market it as a "leisure suite" or executive room and people would be happier. I will stay at the W for leisure stays, but from a practical perspective, the Westin just makes more sense for my business stays.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Thanks for the report Brian!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:41 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thanks Pitbrian-for a non suite that is a very impressive room.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
as a follow-up- checked account today and the 5k bonus points, amenity and regular points posted the next day. Thought I'd have to wait a while for the promo points...Bravo!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.