Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Montreal, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Montreal, Canada [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
The experience of Pitbrian not withstanding, I would say run hide and save yourself. The Westin Montreal is simply not deserving of the Westin brand. Having stayed in Westins around the planet, I would rank the Westin Montreal as the absolute bottom of the heap.

Even discounting for the fact that the property is relatively new, the major problems are related to building and systems engineering and design, and will not be easy to overcome. Twenty minutes of running water for a shower to get hot, and heaters that are out of service in a city that regularly experiences minus 20C temperatures are simply unacceptable.

The rooms are an odd shape and there is tons of wasted space. For my money the Sheraton Centre Ville is a much better choice of Starwood property, and if one is not an SPG devotee, Montreal has plenty of similarly priced alternatives that are much better.

I personally will not stay here again, unless I am forced.

DF
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:08 pm

My stay was fine. I didn't see the lounge, but the pool was open at the time. I liked the room, and got upgraded as a gold. The front room probably needs some art or something on the walls. The gym is a little better than some other hotels too. If people are reporting problems with heat or showers, that is something new.

I agree that the Sheraton Centre Ville is probably a better "value," especially when they offer cash & points, but it's a bit further from where I'd prefer to stay.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Wow, I'm really surprised to read this thread. I stayed two nights at the Westin Montreal in August and was really pleased with everything - service was impeccable, room was gorgeous, room service was as reasonable as room service gets. Beautiful property with a great location - we walked everywhere, only took taxis to/from the train station.

I will be staying again mid-month, and will report back.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Stayed over Valentine's Day weekend. Check-in was fast in the SPG Gold/Plat line (hey margaritagirl - THANKS for the referral!). We got coupons for breakfast & drinks/tapas. I'd requested a high floor with two Queen beds and we were on 17 (out of 19) - very nice. No upgrade (wasn't expecting one esp on V-day). Room was clean, beds comfy, lovely shower as always, very quiet/soundproofed room.

Service was awesome in the Gazette restaurant - I went down early (restaurant was totally dead) with my laptop to catch up on work, must have sat there for two hours, felt totally unrushed...several refills of coffee provided by the staff, two trips to the fruit stand at the buffet etc...when I pack up to leave I see a HUGE line out the door & the restaurant has somehow become PACKED while I've been sitting there engrossed in my work. I was impressed. At no point did I feel hurried along at all.

I felt bad for the people waiting in line though - if I had seen that there was a line I would have booked it out of there.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
Writing from in my room. Had an "in town vacation" semi mattress run night here for the 5k points and a celebration with my wife. Quick notes

Empty hotel friday night
Free internet
As gold I was given - free buffet breakfest for two, upgrade to deluxe room and coupons for drinks or tapas each in the restaurant. Very nice for gold.
Rooms standard Westin, bed indeed heavenly
26 dollar valet parking as noted
As close to the convention centre as humanly possible, and just as close to Toque (where we had the seven course tasting menu last night)
Attentive staff, fast checkin

Would recommend as a base for old montreal.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YULforever
Writing from in my room. Had an "in town vacation" semi mattress run night here for the 5k points and a celebration with my wife. Quick notes

Empty hotel friday night
Free internet
As gold I was given - free buffet breakfest for two, upgrade to deluxe room and coupons for drinks or tapas each in the restaurant. Very nice for gold.
Rooms standard Westin, bed indeed heavenly
26 dollar valet parking as noted
As close to the convention centre as humanly possible, and just as close to Toque (where we had the seven course tasting menu last night)
Attentive staff, fast checkin

Would recommend as a base for old montreal.
Great review, I hope you registered for this promotion as well!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-may-13-a.html
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Writing this from my room at the Westin Montreal. After my previous stay which I posted about, I thought I'd give this property a second chance. I have tended to drift towards Westins whenever they are available and felt that since I'm in Montreal so often, it would be great to have a Westin to frequent especially when I'm in town for longer trips.

Valet Parking: $26 -- total ripoff. The drop-off process was quick though. No one else in line. The driveway is bizarre -- when a taxi is lined-up, you can barely squeeze your car through and no one seems to care. The attendants just stand there motionless.

Check-in was easy as there were 2 agents on duty. I was not recognized as a Platinum nor was I asked about which amenity I would prefer. I will have to make sure they note it on check-out. Regardless, it was a simple process with no fuss.

I was not upgraded (fine by me) and the room I was given XX01 was fine -- nothing incredible and comparable to the basic room at the Sheraton Centre Montreal down the street. Comfortable Westin bed. Massive flatscreen TV. Nice bathroom.

The agent told me I would have access to the Westin Lounge but that there were no services there. No offer of free breakfast etc like others before. No big deal for me since I rarely have breakfast anyway and have a breakfast meeting today.

Lounge: really underwhelming. No view. No service (not surprising) and the bar was empty except for two Pepsi bottles. It almost felt like I reached into fridge at a Cuban grocery store.

Valet parking retrieval: this is my absolute pet peeve at this hotel. They just can't get it right! I was in a bit of a rush to get to a meeting and it took them 15 minutes to deliver my car even though I was the ONLY one waiting! $26 and 15 minutes to get ONE car! This is a real issue and this property needs to figure this out and fast. The Queen Elizabeth up the street also forces valet parking and yet they can seem to get the cars pulled up in a third of the time.

All in all, I would rate this Westin as second-rate and my views haven't really changed despite the amount of time the have had to get it right. Having stayed at Westins from Toronto (yes, even the Harbor Castle is better than this) to Beijing, this ranks as the absolute worst -- no charm, no soul, blah service, boring rooms.

In terms of value, the renovated Sheraton Centre Montreal is a much better deal and there is nothing to distinguish this property from the Sheraton. If someone is looking for something trendier than the Sheraton, the W Montreal is a much better option. The Westin Montreal appears to be having a tough time finding its niche among the Starwood properties in this city (all of which are within short drives from each other) especially since the Sheraton Centre Montreal underwent its renovation.

All in all, this property can be skipped.

Last edited by Canada101; Apr 21, 2010 at 4:41 am
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: SPG Gold
I would agree with you except the 5000 point bonus for april (now down to 2000 for may) plus 1000 points for april plus double points really helps overcome the flaws. Getting 7000+ points per night + $100 amazon gift card every 2 stays really helps.

I'll still probably continue to stay here with the 2000 point bonus going forward but hop to the sheraton for my second night.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AC*E, PC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Gold
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Canada101
Writing this from my room at the Westin Montreal. After my previous stay which I posted about, I thought I'd give this property a second chance. I have tended to drift towards Westins whenever they are available and felt that since I'm in Montreal so often, it would be great to have a Westin to frequent especially when I'm in town for longer trips.

Valet Parking: $26 -- total ripoff. The drop-off process was quick though. No one else in line. The driveway is bizarre -- when a taxi is lined-up, you can barely squeeze your car through and no one seems to care. The attendants just stand there motionless.

Check-in was easy as there were 2 agents on duty. I was not recognized as a Platinum nor was I asked about which amenity I would prefer. I will have to make sure they note it on check-out. Regardless, it was a simple process with no fuss.

I was not upgraded (fine by me) and the room I was given XX01 was fine -- nothing incredible and comparable to the basic room at the Sheraton Centre Montreal down the street. Comfortable Westin bed. Massive flatscreen TV. Nice bathroom.

The agent told me I would have access to the Westin Lounge but that there were no services there. No offer of free breakfast etc like others before. No big deal for me since I rarely have breakfast anyway and have a breakfast meeting today.

Lounge: really underwhelming. No view. No service (not surprising) and the bar was empty except for two Pepsi bottles. It almost felt like I reached into fridge at a Cuban grocery store.

Valet parking retrieval: this is my absolute pet peeve at this hotel. They just can't get it right! I was in a bit of a rush to get to a meeting and it took them 15 minutes to deliver my car even though I was the ONLY one waiting! $26 and 15 minutes to get ONE car! This is a real issue and this property needs to figure this out and fast. The Queen Elizabeth up the street also forces valet parking and yet they can seem to get the cars pulled up in a third of the time.

All in all, I would rate this Westin as second-rate and my views haven't really changed despite the amount of time the have had to get it right. Having stayed at Westins from Toronto (yes, even the Harbor Castle is better than this) to Beijing, this ranks as the absolute worst -- no charm, no soul, blah service, boring rooms.

In terms of value, the renovated Sheraton Centre Montreal is a much better deal and there is nothing to distinguish this property from the Sheraton. If someone is looking for something trendier than the Sheraton, the W Montreal is a much better option. The Westin Montreal appears to be having a tough time finding its niche among the Starwood properties in this city (all of which are within short drives from each other) especially since the Sheraton Centre Montreal underwent its renovation.

All in all, this property can be skipped.
Agreed!!! I've now stayed at this property for the fourth time, waiting for it to get better. No luck. True that the 5K points, with the FT 1K bonus and the $100 Amazon card makes it better, but this shouldn't be a compensating benefit. The hotel should stand on its own.

I checked before arriving at the hotel and had been upgraded and confirmed from a traditional room to a premium room. ^

I agree with Canada101. The parking is a rip off. $26 and I feel obligated to tip the agent $5 each time.

When I arrived at the hotel to check in, I was told I was upgraded to a club room. As a Plat, an extra 10" on the TV, with 50' sq feet less just doesn't cut it. Having access to the Club lounge is a given. Moreover, without being in a deluxe room with two walls of windows or a premium room with a separate living room, the Club room is terribly plain. I requested if I could be 'down graded' to either of these room types, being told that none were clean and available. 1:00 pm and you're telling me no rooms were clean and available? What has housekeeping been doing all morning long?

Having been checked into a Club room, I was given room key cards only to discover I had been checked into a dirty room. Thank goodness it wasn't occupied. I returned to the desk and the agent apologized. Having no rooms available, I had my baggage stored, feeling obligated to tip once again (+$5). I asked the agent and he confirmed, again, since a room wasn't available, to ensure that I was assigned either a deluxe or premium room.

Thereafter, I asked the concierge for walking directions to a local store. Needless to say, after 30 minutes of walking, which was supposed to be a 7 minute walk, I found the store I was looking for.

I returned to the hotel, requested for my car to be retrieved, waited 10 minutes when clearly it wasn't busy, tipped the valet $5, again, and went on my way.

I returned to the hotel around 5:15. Again, I felt obligated to tip the valet $5 again to park the vehicle and retrieve my luggage. I hadn't even got to my room and it cost me $20 in tips!!!

Finally, I was able to be checked into a room only to find out I was assigned still to a Club room. I asked the agent if a deluxe or premium room was available. He responded curtly that none was available and that the hotel was EXTREMELY busy.

Well, needless to say, I'm sitting in the Gazette, the hotel restaurant, at 7:00 pm, attempting to book rooms. What shows up as available on the SPG site? 9 premium rooms and 4 deluxe rooms are available to book for tonight.

Thank goodness the food is great, albeit overpriced. This is the last time for the Westin Montreal. My business is firmly with the Sheraton or the W in the future.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by SPG Junkie
Agreed!!! I've now stayed at this property for the fourth time, waiting for it to get better. No luck. True that the 5K points, with the FT 1K bonus and the $100 Amazon card makes it better, but this shouldn't be a compensating benefit. The hotel should stand on its own.

I checked before arriving at the hotel and had been upgraded and confirmed from a traditional room to a premium room. ^

I agree with Canada101. The parking is a rip off. $26 and I feel obligated to tip the agent $5 each time.

When I arrived at the hotel to check in, I was told I was upgraded to a club room. As a Plat, an extra 10" on the TV, with 50' sq feet less just doesn't cut it. Having access to the Club lounge is a given. Moreover, without being in a deluxe room with two walls of windows or a premium room with a separate living room, the Club room is terribly plain. I requested if I could be 'down graded' to either of these room types, being told that none were clean and available. 1:00 pm and you're telling me no rooms were clean and available? What has housekeeping been doing all morning long?

Having been checked into a Club room, I was given room key cards only to discover I had been checked into a dirty room. Thank goodness it wasn't occupied. I returned to the desk and the agent apologized. Having no rooms available, I had my baggage stored, feeling obligated to tip once again (+$5). I asked the agent and he confirmed, again, since a room wasn't available, to ensure that I was assigned either a deluxe or premium room.

Thereafter, I asked the concierge for walking directions to a local store. Needless to say, after 30 minutes of walking, which was supposed to be a 7 minute walk, I found the store I was looking for.

I returned to the hotel, requested for my car to be retrieved, waited 10 minutes when clearly it wasn't busy, tipped the valet $5, again, and went on my way.

I returned to the hotel around 5:15. Again, I felt obligated to tip the valet $5 again to park the vehicle and retrieve my luggage. I hadn't even got to my room and it cost me $20 in tips!!!

Finally, I was able to be checked into a room only to find out I was assigned still to a Club room. I asked the agent if a deluxe or premium room was available. He responded curtly that none was available and that the hotel was EXTREMELY busy.

Well, needless to say, I'm sitting in the Gazette, the hotel restaurant, at 7:00 pm, attempting to book rooms. What shows up as available on the SPG site? 9 premium rooms and 4 deluxe rooms are available to book for tonight.

Thank goodness the food is great, albeit overpriced. This is the last time for the Westin Montreal. My business is firmly with the Sheraton or the W in the future.
How truly sad for Montreal -- a lousy Westin that should be a flagship! This is also my absolute last time there because they obviously can't get their act together.

Hopefully a Lurker sees this and makes these views known!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:02 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...Hopefully a Lurker sees this and makes these views known!
The best avenue for that is to let Corporate Customer Service know about it.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:40 pm

The service at the Westin Montreal is a real farce . I recently stayed there, and experienced a few frustrations as being upgraded ( initially nice, it doesn't happen often at the Gold level ) to find out they billed me for it ! ( they reajusted the price but I had to insist. ) To top it off, the valet guys were all eager to please when we left, helping us with bags and luggage... however I found out after a 10 hour drive that they left my suitcase on their sidewalk !!!
They send it by courier and I got it 2 days later. But still, I was the only car in that lobby when we left... and they took my luggage themselves while I was packing the kids in the car...All is taken care of Maam, have a good trip !

No, I won't go back to that Westin unless I start reading good reviews. And their restaurant is very good, but the service is poor.

It is very unfortunate for Montreal to have a Westin like that.

Le Germain Hotel is by far a much better choice, with exquisite service that is constant....( but no points !)
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:48 pm
Suspended

If you are SO bent out of shape over this one issue -- and an improvement would go a long way to making you feel better -- I am very curious as to what hotel management said when you brought the issue up with them.

(In other words, I am sure they would love this feedback. Do you expect hotel management to read your mind?)
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
If you are SO bent out of shape over this one issue -- and an improvement would go a long way to making you feel better -- I am very curious as to what hotel management said when you brought the issue up with them.

(In other words, I am sure they would love this feedback. Do you expect hotel management to read your mind?)
I actually completed the survey the first time and never heard anything and am most definitely planning on raising this this time so no, I don't expect the hotel management to read my mind -- but it doesn't appear as though they read the results of their own surveys which is why I think it is important to let other Flyertalkers know about this property.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:24 pm

Good afternoon,

I am the General Manager of Le Westin Montreal and it would be my pleasure to discuss your specific issues with the property. Please call me at your convenience.
514-380-3000

Peter J Dunn
General Manager

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.