Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2024, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by the_jaguar
Perfect - thanks for the confirmation. I am trying to choose between this place, Marquis and Athenee. Would appreciate suggestions on this
I've stayed at the Athenée, either once or twice. Differences between that and SGS? The Athenée pool is larger and more traditional. Large rectangular area, with nice lounges spread around it in a large patio. SGS pool is smaller, but with much more vegetation, Asian sculptures, and definitely not rectangular. Lots of "nooks and crannies." It feels much more like a pool in Asia. Lounges at SGS pool are closer together. The Athenée pool is at ground level. The SGS pool is roughly eight stories up, situated on the roof of the hotel's parking garage. You can hear the street noise only on rare occasions, while at the pool you'd never know that you were in the middle of one of the major Asian cities.

Breakfast buffet at SGS is much larger and has a much greater variety of foods than the Athenée.

I've found that the Athenée can be a bit stingy with upgrades (I don't know if you're eligible). SGS will upgrade you if you're eligible, the only problem being that most nights there are more upgrade-eligible guests than there are suites, and that's not counting the people who actually pay for suites. IME suites aren't outrageously expensive here.

I found the staff at the Athenée a bit standoffish, especially front desk and concierge. Also, very odd, I went down to the concierge desk one day to mail a postcard to my mother in the U.S. The postage was 15 baht (I knew how much it was, and also saw the postcard when I got back), but I was charged 17 or 18 baht, IIRC. (I believe that I included this in my Athenée review on FT.) Why? They charge me a couple of baht service charge to sell me a stamp and affix it to the postcard? That said, this was a long time ago, under an earlier GM.

Overall, I didn't get the feeling of warmth at the Athenée that you'll find at SGS. That's why SGS is my home when I'm in Bangkok. I do recommend SGS over the Athenée. You won't be disappointed, and they looove children here!!

Sorry, but I can't give you any advice on Phuket, I've never been there. Nor have I stayed at the Marquis.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Alawyer
No more cocktail hour for Platinums and above?
There certainly is! Two hours, in fact.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 11:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I've stayed at the Athenée, either once or twice. Differences between that and SGS? The Athenée pool is larger and more traditional. Large rectangular area, with nice lounges spread around it in a large patio. SGS pool is smaller, but with much more vegetation, Asian sculptures, and definitely not rectangular. Lots of "nooks and crannies." It feels much more like a pool in Asia. Lounges at SGS pool are closer together. The Athenée pool is at ground level. The SGS pool is roughly eight stories up, situated on the roof of the hotel's parking garage. You can hear the street noise only on rare occasions, while at the pool you'd never know that you were in the middle of one of the major Asian cities.

Breakfast buffet at SGS is much larger and has a much greater variety of foods than the Athenée.

I've found that the Athenée can be a bit stingy with upgrades (I don't know if you're eligible). SGS will upgrade you if you're eligible, the only problem being that most nights there are more upgrade-eligible guests than there are suites, and that's not counting the people who actually pay for suites. IME suites aren't outrageously expensive here.

I found the staff at the Athenée a bit standoffish, especially front desk and concierge. Also, very odd, I went down to the concierge desk one day to mail a postcard to my mother in the U.S. The postage was 15 baht (I knew how much it was, and also saw the postcard when I got back), but I was charged 17 or 18 baht, IIRC. (I believe that I included this in my Athenée review on FT.) Why? They charge me a couple of baht service charge to sell me a stamp and affix it to the postcard? That said, this was a long time ago, under an earlier GM.

Overall, I didn't get the feeling of warmth at the Athenée that you'll find at SGS. That's why SGS is my home when I'm in Bangkok. I do recommend SGS over the Athenée. You won't be disappointed, and they looove children here!!

Sorry, but I can't give you any advice on Phuket, I've never been there. Nor have I stayed at the Marquis.
Thanks a lot - I went ahead and book a room at SGS. I have a bunch of expiring certificates, so perfect time and place to use them up! Fingers crossed for a decent upgrade.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Overall, I didn't get the feeling of warmth at the Athenée that you'll find at SGS. That's why SGS is my home when I'm in Bangkok.
Could not agree more. This is the main reason why we return to SGS.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:18 pm

Does anyone know if kids are allowed in the cocktail hour for elites (a very well-behaved 1 year old )? Also, where is the cocktail hour held?

Also, as I understand it, Plats can have breakfast in the main restaurant or in Rossini's. Is there much difference in the offerings? I have found that many of the lounge breakfasts tend to have a less impressive offering, but have the benefit of being more civilized, not sure what the case is here.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jah718
Does anyone know if kids are allowed in the cocktail hour for elites (a very well-behaved 1 year old )?
I believe so, although I hope that s/he doesn't expect to consume any alcohol. S/he might not be able to produce appropriate age identification.

Also, where is the cocktail hour held?
Living Room and Library on floor 1. It is no longer offered at BarSu, and I don't know if it's still offered at The Sala (pool).

Also, as I understand it, Plats can have breakfast in the main restaurant or in Rossini's. Is there much difference in the offerings? I have found that many of the lounge breakfasts tend to have a less impressive offering, but have the benefit of being more civilized, not sure what the case is here.
Rossini's is definitely more civilized, although I prefer buffet style for breakfast so I rarely have breakfast in Rossini's. It is a smaller room, but IME the Rossini staff will go to the regular buffet and get what you want if it's not available there. (They did it for me when I asked for a piece of banana bread.)
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, LH SEN
Does anyone know if kids are allowed in the cocktail hour for elites (a very well-behaved 1 year old )? Also, where is the cocktail hour held?
I can confirm that it is allowed, stayed there in December with our 1 year old. But since there was live music and many patrons at The Living Room we went to The Library right next to it where there were close to no people. I believe the cocktail hour can also be taken at the pool bar.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:11 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Rossini's is not a lounge. It's a restaurant. It has both a small, high quality buffet and an a la carte menu. Orchid Cafe is a large buffet with a wide range of options. I prefer Rossini's.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Rossini's is not a lounge. It's a restaurant. It has both a small, high quality buffet and an a la carte menu.
I don't really think of Rossini's as having a buffet, but you're right. Small, high quality buffet and à la carte menu. Actually, the only things that you order from servers are mains and hot drinks, IIRC.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hawwk
I can confirm that it is allowed, stayed there in December with our 1 year old. But since there was live music and many patrons at The Living Room we went to The Library right next to it where there were close to no people. I believe the cocktail hour can also be taken at the pool bar.
Correct on the pool bar, although it would be quite warm this time of year.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 4:23 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
There’s no better hotel…(plus, they upgraded me to a suite for 3 nights):

Old Apr 21, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I don't really think of Rossini's as having a buffet, but you're right. Small, high quality buffet and à la carte menu. Actually, the only things that you order from servers are mains and hot drinks, IIRC.
They did have a massive buffet outside Rossini's during Songkran!
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:10 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Cocktail menu - I’m drunk:

dgreen12, rhu171, diablo77 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 7:29 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by nexus7556
They did have a massive buffet outside Rossini's during Songkran!
That's the Sunday Jazz Brunch - year-round, not just Songkran. It takes up most of the floor.
EuropeanPete and nexus7556 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
That's the Sunday Jazz Brunch - year-round, not just Songkran. It takes up most of the floor.
Yep. Not accessible as part of Rossini's breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.