Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2023, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Also I wrote a quite detailed e mail detailing all the issues, received a disappointing cut and paste "sorry we will share with our team and do better" response.

It definitely seems that they are changing the target markets to more tour groups which is unfortunately downgrading the whole experience. For future trip s we will consider SGS, but in the pasty it was the go to, now its just in the mix, BKK has many god quality hotels at lower prices, I would say their best selling point for now is the location and compared to Westin the hardware, The software is 3 star pretending ( and maybe thinking) they are 5 star.
Did senior management respond with that back to you?
Old Aug 30, 2023, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Also I wrote a quite detailed e mail detailing all the issues, received a disappointing cut and paste "sorry we will share with our team and do better" response.

It definitely seems that they are changing the target markets to more tour groups which is unfortunately downgrading the whole experience. For future trip s we will consider SGS, but in the pasty it was the go to, now its just in the mix, BKK has many god quality hotels at lower prices, I would say their best selling point for now is the location and compared to Westin the hardware, The software is 3 star pretending ( and maybe thinking) they are 5 star.
Hardware has always been 3 star w service 4 star (some individuals 8 star) and benefits 8 star making it a 5 star hotel w some stays exquisite because of great service
Old Aug 31, 2023, 6:42 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I would say their best selling point for now is the location and compared to Westin the hardware
Westin is one of the worst for hardware among hotel chains in Bangkok so I would not say SGS is strong in that regard simply by comparing to Westin. SGS is definitely bottom tier for hardware.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would say that the hard product at SGS is actually very strong, it's just that the decor of the rooms (specialty suites excluded) is old-fashioned and not to everyone's taste. But in terms of fundamentals like noise insulation, elevators, quality and condition of furnishings and linens, variety and comfort of public spaces, and gym, this is an absolutely outstanding property.

We had a bad experience here our last stay during covid, but were very happy when we returned in July - so much so that we stayed an extra three nights instead of moving to Capella. (Initially front desk said we would have to give up our upgraded specialty suite for the last night, but then were able to move things around so we didn't have to move - this is to me a classic example of why I'm so fond of this property.)
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would say that the hard product at SGS is actually very strong, it's just that the decor of the rooms (specialty suites excluded) is old-fashioned and not to everyone's taste. But in terms of fundamentals like noise insulation, elevators, quality and condition of furnishings and linens, variety and comfort of public spaces, and gym, this is an absolutely outstanding property.
Some of these are strong points indeed like noise insulation and linens. But the rooms are dated, in some ways very dated. Parts of the bathroom come to mind: no rain shower, brittle and cheap shower head, etc. Some renovations would do some good. Anyway I will return shortly and refresh my opinion upwards or downwards. It's not like the weak points are enough to keep me away, but hardware has never been what brings me back.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escape4
Some of these are strong points indeed like noise insulation and linens. But the rooms are dated, in some ways very dated. Parts of the bathroom come to mind: no rain shower, brittle and cheap shower head, etc. Some renovations would do some good. Anyway I will return shortly and refresh my opinion upwards or downwards. It's not like the weak points are enough to keep me away, but hardware has never been what brings me back.
The style is dated. The furnishings themselves are not. They were actually recently refreshed.

Look, I'm not a fan of the style at all. But I believe people are confusing style with quality. Different issues.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I thought everything was classy, comfortable, and in good order - love the tiles, bedding, and couches!
Old Aug 31, 2023, 10:28 am

The style is dated. The furnishings themselves are not. They were actually recently refreshed.

Look, I'm not a fan of the style at all. But I believe people are confusing style with quality. Different issues.
The style is what it is, but I do not have much of a concern with the furniture; it's more the bathroom hardware and the room carpet which bother be more. Those should be updated and refreshed for such a Luxury Collection hotel. I like big rain showers with space to move around, and I like hardwood floors. This is lacking at SGS. It it's gotta be carpet then it better be new carpet, which it isn't...

Maybe there have been some updates since my last visit, I guess I will see with my own eyes soon.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I thought everything was classy, comfortable, and in good order - love the tiles, bedding, and couches!
The bedding is fantastic. I did check the label last time . . . Frette.
It it's gotta be carpet then it better be new carpet, which it isn't...

Maybe there have been some updates since my last visit, I guess I will see with my own eyes soon.
The carpets are new. The tiles in the baths they're not going to change, those are made in Chiang Mai - a splash of local color if you will. Our suite had new shower fixtures, don't know if those have been replaced throughout.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Same here. I feel the same with Grand Hyatt too.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 8:05 pm

The carpets are new. Our suite had new shower fixtures
Ah! With those two changes alone, I would not consider the hardware below average anymore.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 4:21 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
So for some reason FT has started sending me email notifications of posts. Have never requested it and wonder why now. But good to be back and it certainly seems some improvements since our last stay. So have decided to give it another chance in April 24.
Several other visits before then. In 3 weeks will be trying the Kimpton. And other 3 visits before April all at different hotels. Does include a stay at the Westin as we got on well with Robert so would like to catch up.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 6:53 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Been here all week and enjoyable as always. Rossini breakfast and Living Room canapés a great end to the day.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Isn't October supposed to be Low season?

Rough average: THB 7,200 ++ >>> THB 8,474
Lowest (3 nights during a 5-week period): THB 6,840 ++ >>> THB 8,050

Last edited by UASPG; Sep 10, 2023 at 10:44 am
Old Sep 27, 2023, 5:14 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Originally Posted by UASPG
Rough average: THB 7,200 ++ >>> THB 8,474
Lowest (3 nights during a 5-week period): THB 6,840 ++ >>> THB 8,050

It certainly is a lot more expensive than pre Covid.
That will impact our future decisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.