Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Anyone ever do a tour offered by the hotel? Or, if not - any reputable tour guides / companies for either a half or full day of Bangkok?
My first time in Bangkok I booked a few tours using the tour desk downstairs. They were fine.

Since then, I've used Tour With Tong, both for me and friends. I think that both Tong and her staff are great without exception.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Central90210
This is only my second stay at the SGS and I've only had breakfast at Rossini's last time (which I liked a lot). Hopefully the Orchid Cafe is just as good, or at least not significantly worse than Rossini's.
Rossini's is all about the personal service and the quiet atmosphere. Orchid Cafe has a much wider choice but at the height of the breakfast service is gets very busy.

If you are eating that early in the morning then orchid cafe will be very quiet so it will not be that much worst than Rossini's and if you appreciate the wider choice of dishes then you could argue that it is better.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:44 pm

This is only my second stay at the SGS and I've only had breakfast at Rossini's last time (which I liked a lot). Hopefully the Orchid Cafe is just as good, or at least not significantly worse than Rossini's.
Completely agree with Lobster.

Orchid Cafe is great, perhaps one of the best breakfast buffets around.

Especially at 0530

-David
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:05 pm

Thanks Lobster and LIH Prem! One more question, is there a free flow of freshly squeezed juices at the Orchid?

I actually don't think I've encountered many hotels offering breakfast this early (or maybe I just don't usually wake up that early), I wonder what time do the poor folks at F&B start to prepare for breakfast..
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more question, is there a free flow of freshly squeezed juices at the Orchid?
I'm not sure that I understand your question. It's a buffet (although OJ is poured by staff at your table). Your OJ glass will be refilled continuously until you tell them that you don't wish any more. Other juices, like everything available at breakfast, is unlimited. Just go up and get more.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:21 am

Now that Four Seasons has closed it's doors i have found myself frequenting the Sunday Brunch at SGS. I always book a table in Rossini's, this way the whole experience a bit more "upscale" than sitting in the Basil or in the lounge with the band. Actually, last time we were here the service was outstanding.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
My first time in Bangkok I booked a few tours using the tour desk downstairs. They were fine.

Since then, I've used Tour With Tong, both for me and friends. I think that both Tong and her staff are great without exception.
Thanks much! Will recommend her.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm not sure that I understand your question. It's a buffet (although OJ is poured by staff at your table). Your OJ glass will be refilled continuously until you tell them that you don't wish any more. Other juices, like everything available at breakfast, is unlimited. Just go up and get more.
What I meant was whether orchid, like Rossini's, has a fruit bar where a staff member freshly squeezes juices of your choice (watermelon, pineapple, etc). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think their OJ is freshly squeezed, it tastes more like a concentrate or Minute Maid than a freshly squeezed OJ.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
What I meant was whether orchid, like Rossini's, has a fruit bar where a staff member freshly squeezes juices of your choice (watermelon, pineapple, etc). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think their OJ is freshly squeezed, it tastes more like a concentrate or Minute Maid than a freshly squeezed OJ.
I am also of the opinion that it is not freshly squeezed orange juice in Orchid Cafe.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sabdhabi
I am also of the opinion that it is not freshly squeezed orange juice in Orchid Cafe.
I've always felt that it is freshly squeezed. On nearly all days, I get pieces of the orange sections in my glass, some days more than others. And the taste varies, as well, a sure sign that it is not Minute Maid or equivalent. Products like that strive for consistency. If you want to try one which is definitely not freshly squeezed, try it at LM. Heavily sugared, and tastes very different.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Doesn't the LM OJ taste different because it is Mandarin juice rather than Orange juice?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by newshound
Doesn't the LM OJ taste different because it is Mandarin juice rather than Orange juice?
OT, but the best OJ I ever had was in Valencia, Spain. IIRC it was a Melia hotel, but they had freshly squeezed OJ from local oranges at breakfast.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Orchid Cafe is definitely fresh-squeezed OJ!.

And yes, at 5:30 AM the experience will be as good as Rossini ( other
than serving yourself all courses)
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Also remember that orange juice in Thailand is a bit sweeter than the Florida oranges in the US and elsewhere. More similar to the small oranges and OJ street carts you see all over the streets of Bangkok for THB 20.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:22 am

Confirmed with the wait staff and juicer at Rossini's that the orange juice is not freshly squeezed. Other juices such as watermelon, pineapple, mango and carrot are freshly squeezed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.