Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:11 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I think everyone knew the OJ wasn't fresh.

Just as the pastries are freshly baked... Yes, they're freshly baked, like a pop n fresh dough croissant. It's still cooked the same morning and it is what people want.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joorinainen
Now that Four Seasons has closed it's doors i have found myself frequenting the Sunday Brunch at SGS. I always book a table in Rossini's, this way the whole experience a bit more "upscale" than sitting in the Basil or in the lounge with the band. Actually, last time we were here the service was outstanding.
I find the hotel hasn't changed a bit since the re-branding from FS to Anantara took place. We always go to Aqua but is there anything you miss in particular why you changed to SGS?

As far as Sunday Brunch is concerned I find the Grand Hyatt Tables Brunch is the benchmark at the moment.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Just as the pastries are freshly baked... Yes, they're freshly baked, like a pop n fresh dough croissant.
Interesting. Do you know this?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I had a friend who worked in the SGS kitchens around 10 years ago. She always
impressed me by telling me how just about everything was made from scratch in house;
particularly the baked goods. I would tend to believe it is the same today.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
The croissants look 'industrial' made to me - only slightly better than the ones at Le Meridien Bangkok.

For good croissants and pains au chocolat, the SPG property to go to is Le Meridien Chiang Mai.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:20 am

Grande Twin Room

Can anyone advise what is the size of the single bed for Twin Room?
Is is an oversized single?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by kodansha999
Can anyone advise what is the size of the single bed for Twin Room?
Is is an oversized single?
Not sure what it's called, but it's definitely larger than a "single" bed but smaller than a "queen". Hope the photo helps.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Central90210
Not sure what it's called, but it's definitely larger than a "single" bed but smaller than a "queen". Hope the photo helps.
Thanks for the photo it really did help!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:28 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I think everyone knew the OJ wasn't fresh.

Just as the pastries are freshly baked... Yes, they're freshly baked, like a pop n fresh dough croissant. It's still cooked the same morning and it is what people want.
Dear 2lovelife,

The concept of our Executive Breakfast at Rossini’s is personalized service and all items to be freshly prepared at both the cooking station and the juice station. For oranges, we use the local orange, which is different to the Valencia which is more commonly used in the USA, Europe and elsewhere. Please enjoy on your next visit.

With kind regards,

Richard Chapman
General Manager
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:49 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Bangkok
Dear 2lovelife,

The concept of our Executive Breakfast at Rossini’s is personalized service and all items to be freshly prepared at both the cooking station and the juice station. For oranges, we use the local orange, which is different to the Valencia which is more commonly used in the USA, Europe and elsewhere. Please enjoy on your next visit.

With kind regards,

Richard Chapman
General Manager
So the orange juice that you serve in your breakfast venues is freshly squeezed at the SGS that same day?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Coincidentally, I just checked in today for my 50th stay at this property,
and received this 3 night certificate. I am very greatful, and not to nit-pick
with Sean, but most of my stays are 2-3 nights, and it will be perfect for me.

I have previously been upgraded to 10th floor specialty suites on 3 occasions.
and have always enjoyed the experience.

A very nice touch from the hotel.
Just received my 75th stay award.
Meal for 2 at Basil and a bottle of house wine
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by stanontour
Just received my 75th stay award.
Meal for 2 at Basil and a bottle of house wine
very nice. congratulations on your 75th stay
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yosithezet
So the orange juice that you serve in your breakfast venues is freshly squeezed at the SGS that same day?
Orange juice is different from baked goods. The "freshly squeezed" orange juice sold at Whole Foods, for example, may have been squeezed that day, or the day before. And it wasn't squeezed at that store. Whole Foods has regional kitchens.

The OJ at SGS is clearly freshly squeezed. Perhaps it was that morning, perhaps yesterday. I certainly can't tell the difference. And I don't care if it was squeezed at the hotel or at some vendor's central kitchen.

Baked goods are very different. A day-old croissant is noticeably different from one which was baked a few hours ago. As stated upthread, the food in the breakfast buffet is prepared daily in-house. Actually, I've always wondered about the economics of a buffet. It can't possibly lose as much money as it appears (to me) to lose. But when it closes, everything is still full. How do they do it?

I'll be there for a week in July, I'll try to remember to ask the F&B Manager.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:47 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
We are now debating the freshness of the orange juice and croissants at breakfast. I think Mr Chapman may have spoiled the so called "children".
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Orange juice is different from baked goods. The "freshly squeezed" orange juice sold at Whole Foods, for example, may have been squeezed that day, or the day before. And it wasn't squeezed at that store. Whole Foods has regional kitchens.

The OJ at SGS is clearly freshly squeezed. Perhaps it was that morning, perhaps yesterday. I certainly can't tell the difference. And I don't care if it was squeezed at the hotel or at some vendor's central kitchen.

Baked goods are very different. A day-old croissant is noticeably different from one which was baked a few hours ago. As stated upthread, the food in the breakfast buffet is prepared daily in-house. Actually, I've always wondered about the economics of a buffet. It can't possibly lose as much money as it appears (to me) to lose. But when it closes, everything is still full. How do they do it?

I'll be there for a week in July, I'll try to remember to ask the F&B Manager.
I'm actually interested to know how they handle the leftovers from the buffets as well, do they donate it to the poor or just slurp it all into the bin...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.