Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
What can I do to be more like you and get that kind of treatment? That's an incredible upgrade result.
Hi EP, yea these were the best upgrades I've gotten ever there. Usually it's to a Jr suite max.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by chanp
Hi EP, yea these were the best upgrades I've gotten ever there. Usually it's to a Jr suite max.
Very cool, congrats! I've been trying to decide between SGS and Athenee, looks like SNA's go up to Luxury and Grand suites here. Leaning towards Athenee right now for hard product and location (would prefer less busy)
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by bizum
Very cool, congrats! I've been trying to decide between SGS and Athenee, looks like SNA's go up to Luxury and Grand suites here. Leaning towards Athenee right now for hard product and location (would prefer less busy)
I've stayed at both, if you want quieter, then Athenee is your place, but SGS is a great place as well.
bizum likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chanp
if you want quieter, then Athenee is your place
Yes, like weirdly, uncomfortably quiet. For a better kind of "quiet" (more a luxe quiet, as opposed to Athenee's "did someone die?" quiet) I'd take StR (though I'm not a huge fan of the property itself).

Athenee does have nicer, more modern rooms than SGS.
bizum and lost_in_translation like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Posted Date:
1/03/2023

Director of Food & Beverage

Job Number 23001118

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit a Luxury Collection Hotel Bangkok
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
The job description Seems like a lot to expect from someone with HS diploma and some experience!

Originally Posted by UASPG
Posted Date:
1/03/2023

Director of Food & Beverage

Job Number 23001118

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit a Luxury Collection Hotel Bangkok
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, like weirdly, uncomfortably quiet. For a better kind of "quiet" (more a luxe quiet, as opposed to Athenee's "did someone die?" quiet) I'd take StR (though I'm not a huge fan of the property itself).

Athenee does have nicer, more modern rooms than SGS.
Good to know thank you. We have enjoyed our stays at StR in the past, wanted to try a different area for a change. Since we have a toddler this time around, wanted some more walkable options for food.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
https://www.facebook.com/hrsgs

https://www.facebook.com/sheratongrandesukhumvit/

https://www.instagram.com/sheratongrandesukhumvit/?hl=en

Last edited by UASPG; Jan 30, 2023 at 6:02 pm
Old Feb 14, 2023, 8:25 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
The SGS has always been my favourite hotel, and a 3 year absence made me more eager to return.
Alas, whether it is due to Covid, staff turn-over, cost-cutting, or a new GM, it is not the same.

On arrival I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by name by the doorman, bellboy, and front desk staff.
And the computer system has apparently been restored - I was welcomed back for my 56th stay.
But my bedding preference ( top sheet only - no duvet) was lost - there was a duvet on my bed.
The room was not perfectly cleaned - I found an elastic hair band on the desk chair. The telephone
on the desk has been removed - only the portable one by the bed remains. The nice fitting monogrammed
in-room slippers have been replaced by the generic, too-small, Marriott slippers.

No pen or note paper provided. ( Yes, there was a pencil and letterhead in the desk drawer).

The in-room fruit was a pedestrian banana/apple/orange, rather than the more exotic longan,
lychees,or rambutan from days past. In three days there, the fruit was never replenished.

Happy hour beer is only Singha - Heineken is no longer available. The first night I was given
only the canapes, not the chips/nuts/taro sticks. Second night all was served, but no napkin
provided.

My favourite cottage cheese is no longer offered at the Orchid Cafe breakfast buffet, and I
unfortunately hit Rossini's on a morning when the French Toast was not available. It also seemed
to me that the Rossini breakfast menu was 12 egg dishes plus a won ton soup - none of the previous
variety was there.

I've also noticed several airline crews staying here - that is not something that I ever recall
seeing here before although I may be mistaken.

This is still a very good hotel, but not an almost perfect one as before.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
The SGS has always been my favourite hotel, and a 3 year absence made me more eager to return.
Alas, whether it is due to Covid, staff turn-over, cost-cutting, or a new GM, it is not the same.

On arrival I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by name by the doorman, bellboy, and front desk staff.
And the computer system has apparently been restored - I was welcomed back for my 56th stay.
But my bedding preference ( top sheet only - no duvet) was lost - there was a duvet on my bed.
The room was not perfectly cleaned - I found an elastic hair band on the desk chair. The telephone
on the desk has been removed - only the portable one by the bed remains. The nice fitting monogrammed
in-room slippers have been replaced by the generic, too-small, Marriott slippers.

No pen or note paper provided. ( Yes, there was a pencil and letterhead in the desk drawer).

The in-room fruit was a pedestrian banana/apple/orange, rather than the more exotic longan,
lychees,or rambutan from days past. In three days there, the fruit was never replenished.

Happy hour beer is only Singha - Heineken is no longer available. The first night I was given
only the canapes, not the chips/nuts/taro sticks. Second night all was served, but no napkin
provided.

My favourite cottage cheese is no longer offered at the Orchid Cafe breakfast buffet, and I
unfortunately hit Rossini's on a morning when the French Toast was not available. It also seemed
to me that the Rossini breakfast menu was 12 egg dishes plus a won ton soup - none of the previous
variety was there.

I've also noticed several airline crews staying here - that is not something that I ever recall

Thanks for that, iluvSQ. It's not an exactly an upbeat report. I was last there in February 2020 and my ten-night stay was easily the worst of my 46 stays there. Anyway, I am returning there in April for another ten nights.
I only ever drink Heineken there and I got to know recently that it is no longer offered in Happy Hour. A bizarre decision to remove it.
It's a shame that the in-room fruit offerings are no longer what they were.
I'll try and remain optimistic that they can win back my loyalty, but it's true to say that after reading your frank and honest report I am not of a sanguine disposition.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This seems much more important than the other points you mention.

Staying elsewhere in Bangkok our last two visits, what we missed most about SGS was the genuine warmth of the staff. I doubt we would even notice the lack of SGS monogrammed slippers.

I am relieved to hear that they have restored guest history to the system, as that was a concern for me.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
I was also rather disappointed with my first visit post covid and post Richard, some of course will improve as new hires get re trained but alas I feel it can never be quite the same again, however standards before were exceptional.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 2:22 am

Agree with a few comments

provided.

variety was there.

Old Feb 15, 2023, 2:38 am

Just came back from a five days at SGS. Our 4th stay and first since COVID. We were lucky to be upgraded to a luxury suite without using any SNAs. I agree that Rossini‘s has lost some of its luster for breakfast. On the weekends, there was a huge selection of hot and cold items, but it was open to all guests with buffet in the hallway. No menu, only the buffet. During the week it was the executive breakfast, and as the poster mentions, most of menu choices were egg dishes. Everything else on the buffet were cold selections except for a couple of dim sim. Room was in excellent condition. Didn’t notice the slipper change, but the fruit was fairly exotic. Well laid out suite with Bryeda cosmetics. . Service at Happy Hour in the Library was hit and miss. Sometimes it was hard to get attention of the staff. On only one day I saw a manager or director visiting a few tables. He didn’t stop at ours. Overall, still a great experience, but you can feel the lack of managerial attention that Richard provided.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
I had a two night stay here recently and enjoyed it very much. I used points and requested suite upgrade using award nights. Went to Rossini's both days, one was on Sunday. Enjoyed the Monday breakfast more and was hoping for steak and eggs. It wasn't on the menu, but asked if available as we went in. The greeter said they would check and came back with word that It would be available if desired. So we both chose it. I don't have prior stays here, so can't compare, but thought the spread on Monday was really good. At first I didn't even notice the fruit off to the left in back, but was satisfied. I suppose a step up would be fresh berries, but have never really seen them offered in Asia much, not sure about even higher level hotels. Also Monday had better selection of fresh juices and there was Jamón Ibérico ham leg off to the right of the chefs. I really enjoyed the afternoon happy hour. While not quite as nice food wise as sitting in the lounge at the Renaissance the ambiance is better at the Living Room. The hors d'oeuvres came in a group of three and were enjoyable. The second day the shrimp was great. We did ask for seconds and seemed no problem at all. The Italian Red wine served was also quite drinkable. I also enjoyed the pool area and the hot tub is great to have a soak. The Grand/Luxury suite was superb with a view of the Benchakitti Park lake below. I love the older classic style more than very modern, so the whole look was great for my taste. My girlfriend preferred the Ren and we had a six night stay there. I suppose for the better food in the lounge and maybe she liked the location better too. The room at the Ren has a few issues for me. The wooden floor squeaked and the wooden frame of the bed also would make noise if moving around much. Both real issues for waking your significant other if asleep. Link to google photos folder at the SGS here if interested. https://photos.app.goo.gl/sk3c578ZUsAvKim8A
jer3 likes this.

Last edited by kalo93406; Feb 18, 2023 at 11:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.