Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Richard, why would you turn your back on the loyal Grande Club members who are are not residents of Thailand? Surely this is a mistake.
It is indeed odd. It seemed to me that the hotel benefited more from the non-residents than the residents for a variety of reasons. First, the perks were fewer (no free nights for non-residents), and having the Grande Club credit was certainly an additional reason for me to stay at the SGS as opposed to other hotels in Bangkok (which wouldn't apply to Bangkok residents of course), and it was also an additional reason for me to invite work associates inside the SGS while I was staying there. From a cost-benefit perspective, I think the hotel loses more than the non-resident members by eliminating this marketing tool.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:21 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
DELETE

Last edited by TalkingPoint; Apr 1, 2017 at 11:35 am
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:35 am
Company Representative - Bangkok.Grande Sukhumvit by Sheraton

Location: 250 Sukhumvit Soi 12-14, Sukhumvit Road, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
SPG Hot Escapes!

Book: March 23 until March 26, 2016

Stay: March 24 until May 8, 2016

Discount: Up to 20% OFF for non-SPG members, additional 5% off for SPG members.

Book now
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Tried the Rossini's exec breakfast today and felt it was indeed better than the Orchid café experience.Freshly squeezed juices,hot meals prepared as ordered and we felt a better bakery selection.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by drron
Tried the Rossini's exec breakfast today and felt it was indeed better than the Orchid café experience.Freshly squeezed juices,hot meals prepared as ordered and we felt a better bakery selection.
Same here. We loved it too...even my 4 year old said so. Looking forward to it again in the morning.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Sphinx
It is indeed odd. It seemed to me that the hotel benefited more from the non-residents than the residents for a variety of reasons. First, the perks were fewer (no free nights for non-residents), and having the Grande Club credit was certainly an additional reason for me to stay at the SGS as opposed to other hotels in Bangkok (which wouldn't apply to Bangkok residents of course), and it was also an additional reason for me to invite work associates inside the SGS while I was staying there. From a cost-benefit perspective, I think the hotel loses more than the non-resident members by eliminating this marketing tool.
While it is disaapointing, knowing Richard there must be a good reason for this decision and I will just go with it, still get good deals as an SPG plat and still no better hotel in Asia and mabe the world for me
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
PLT benefits at this hotel

I have booked a 5 day stay at this hotel for later this year. I haven been scouring through the large number of posts to try and understand what kind of benefits a PLT SPG member might expect.

Can any frequent stayers at this property clarify a few questions for me:

(1) So far my impression is that the property does not have a club lounge (is this correct?) as it is a LC property not a Sheraton.

(2) The seem to be a number of different breakfast options. Do any or all of these come as a PLT benefit? Which option would you recommend.

(3) I understand that room upgrades to a suite is a possibility. Is this less likely for a 5 day (non weekend) stay?

(4) Are there any other perks that I might expect at this property?

Thanks for your help....
Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:19 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
While it is disaapointing, knowing Richard there must be a good reason for this decision and I will just go with it, still get good deals as an SPG plat and still no better hotel in Asia and mabe the world for me
If there was a good reason, I suspect that Richard would have responded.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer

(1) So far my impression is that the property does not have a club lounge (is this correct?) as it is a LC property not a Sheraton.
that is correct.

(2) The seem to be a number of different breakfast options. Do any or all of these come as a PLT benefit? Which option would you recommend.
They are all good and different, it doesn't matter which one I prefer, you should try them all to see which you prefer. You can have the breakfast at Orchid Cafe, The Sala or the new option which many people like is the Rossini's Exec Breakfast which currently operates M - F.

From my perspective, Rossini's is the nicest venue with the best service and Orchid Cafe is the largest venue with the widest variety of food. Some days we want the wide variety while on other days we want the nicer venue with the attentive service of Rossini's staff. I've never had breakfast at the Sala but if the idea of having breakfast outside near the pool area appeals to you then by all means you might love it as many people do.

(3) I understand that room upgrades to a suite is a possibility. Is this less likely for a 5 day (non weekend) stay?
It's impossible to know or answer. If you want a better shot at an upgrade to a suite, use your SNAs.

(4) Are there any other perks that I might expect at this property?
Yes, 2 pieces of laundry per day (4 if you have 2 registered guests in the room) non-cumulative, butler service for comp in-room coffee, tea, etc, comp coffee, tea, etc in The Library, comp cocktails and appetizers at Bar Su or The Living Room or The Sala from 6pm to 8pm and so on. SPG Plat discount on food venues at the property (not sure if it's 20% or 25% and so on ... You'll get a letter listing all the SPG Plat benefits at check-in.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Mar 25, 2016 at 2:02 am
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Staying here now. I think the executive breakfast at Rossini's is an excellent addition. Yes you do not get as much choice as in Orchid Cafe but you get a decent selection and the quality of the cooked dishes is way above what you get at Orchid Cafe

Also good to see BarSu coming back to life again. Nut is doing a great job of getting a bit of a party atmosphere there again.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by LIH Prem

They are all good and different, it doesn't matter which one I prefer, you should try them all to see which you prefer. You can have the breakfast at Orchid Cafe, The Sala or the new option which many people like is the Rossini's Exec Breakfast which currently operates M - F.
Yes, 2 pieces of laundry per day (4 if you have 2 registered guests in the room) non-cumulative, butler service for comp in-room coffee, tea, etc, comp coffee, tea, etc in The Library, comp cocktails and appetizers at Bar Su or The Living Room or The Sala from 6pm to 8pm and so on. SPG Plat discount on food venues at the property (not sure if it's 20% or 25% and so on ... You'll get a letter listing all the SPG Plat benefits at check-in.

-David
Thanks very much. Very useful information. I am really looking forward to this stay!
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
As to suite upgrades you will get one if a suite is available.However the hotel has been very full since the renovations have started.Always get a suite if SNAs used.On one occasion I put in my SNA request.Got knocked back at the 5 day mark but was given a suite.That really impressed as they could have taken my SNAs and I would have been none the wiser..
Old Mar 27, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
If there was a good reason, I suspect that Richard would have responded.
Do you think it was done with no good reason, it may be one we dont like but he has a business to run and I think we can all agree SGS is one very well run business !!
Old Mar 27, 2016, 4:27 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Do you think it was done with no good reason, it may be one we dont like but he has a business to run and I think we can all agree SGS is one very well run business !!
Good for whom?

The SGS is well-run. But not all decisions are good ones. Bar Su is an example of a space which could be generating a great deal of profit, but doesn't because of some odd decisions.

Richard clearly doesn't have to share his reasons. This seems like a decision which is to the detriment of the many non-resident SGS fans. Many of whom spent money on property they may very well not have spent otherwise. Perhaps more profitable, but not necessarily. It encourages people to consider other dining options off-property.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I just returned from a two week trip to Thailand with my wife and 4 year old daughter. We spent a very brief night at SGS at the beginning of our trip and two nights at the end. After following the SGS fandom on FT for the last several years, I was excited (and a little skeptical) to experience it for myself. Despite the hype, I was still surprised at how nice it really was. We were upgraded to XX12 luxury suites on both stays, the first with no SNA and second using SNAs. We really love the suite…spacious with a nice balance of comfort and luxury.

We took breakfast at the main buffet on our first stay, but at the urging of the FD staff (and a pre-stay e-mail from the hotel), we tried the Executive Breakfast at Rossini’s on our second stay and loved everything about it. I also discovered that burrata pairs nicely with their chocolate chip muffins. Another nice benefit for us was the fact that our daughter was free at Rossini’s (vs. 529 THB at the main buffet in Orchid). She didn’t order off the menu, but the buffet options at Rossini’s were more than substantial.

We enjoyed cocktail hour at The Living Room both nights and ended up ordering dinner off the Basil menu while we enjoyed our drinks and music. Service was exceptional. Staff were everywhere and seemed to anticipate needs. On our second visit to The Living Room, I was prepared to give our room number to the waitress and she instead asked if we wanted the same drinks as the night before, including whether my daughter wanted cherries in her juice again.

We loved the pool, though we did find the large amounts of cigarette smoke to be a nuisance. Despite what appeared to be a relatively small smoking area, the smoke seemed to always find its way to us in the pool.

I think we had three encounters with Richard during our brief stay as he made his rounds, checking with everyone to make sure their stays were going well. As I told him, I think the SGS may have ruined travel for us as other hotels will struggle to measure up after a pretty amazing stay. We’ve been discussing trip ideas for 2017 and Bangkok has crept near the top of the list, in large part because of the SGS. Now I get what everyone was talking about.

QUESTION: Does anyone know if SGS extends any Platinum benefits for multiple rooms? I may regret this, but am contemplating offering to take my parents to Bangkok in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.