Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm writing this from the Club Lounge on the ground floor at the moment, drinking water out of a plastic cup. I haven't had any service failures, but this is one of those hotels that gives me an existential crisis and makes me worried about the future of mankind. This is one incredibly depressing hotel. I have to be around Times Square this weekend (depressing in itself) and the W was nearly twice as much as the Sheraton. All the same, I won't be coming back.
It isn't a surprise, but this hotel takes the practice of making money from incidentals and the like to new levels. The destination fee is insulting and you can add charges for simple things like receiving parcels (even when at the hotel) where there's a fee of $10 per package over 1 pound. A room service order for one person came to $75 all in, including what I think was something like $15 for a teabag. For our capitalist system to be shown to be functional, hotels like this should fail and be shut down.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'm writing this from the Club Lounge on the ground floor at the moment, drinking water out of a plastic cup. I haven't had any service failures, but this is one of those hotels that gives me an existential crisis and makes me worried about the future of mankind. This is one incredibly depressing hotel. I have to be around Times Square this weekend (depressing in itself) and the W was nearly twice as much as the Sheraton. All the same, I won't be coming back.
It isn't a surprise, but this hotel takes the practice of making money from incidentals and the like to new levels. The destination fee is insulting and you can add charges for simple things like receiving parcels (even when at the hotel) where there's a fee of $10 per package over 1 pound. A room service order for one person came to $75 all in, including what I think was something like $15 for a teabag. For our capitalist system to be shown to be functional, hotels like this should fail and be shut down.
I agree with most of what you say, except that for my last visit I thought the groung floor Club Lounge was a huge improvement (in terms of the offering). Having said that, ever since they introduced this ridiculous destination charge, I vowed never to return.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:26 am

I've stayed here many, many times and have found it ideal due to proximity to trains (B,D,E outside the door, N 2 blocks north at 55th/7th), great lounge views on 44th floor, endless free water, soda, fruit, tea, snacks in lounge, and decent rooms with comfortable beds. Due to the ridiculous resort fee, I'm now looking for comparable alternatives for a 5 night stay using points (5th night free), likely Marriott properties.

However, I'm not seeing any comparable options at this point level. I can book 5 nights here for 48,000 Sarpoints (9600/night), equivalent to 144,000 Marriott points. The following Marriott properties are all higher at 180,000 points (and some also charge $25 fee! ):
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
NY Marriott Marquis
NY Marriott East Side
Renaissance NY Times Square
Renaissance NY Midtown
JW Marriott Essex House NY

Following are slightly less at 140,000 Marriott points - do any provide a similar room quality and lounge experience as Sheraton?

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Central Park

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Downtown East

Residence Inn New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area

Courtyard New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area

Fairfield Inn New York Manhattan/Financial District

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area

Following are 160,000 - would any be worth the extra points (while saving the $25/night resort fee)?

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square

Moxy NYC Times Square

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East

AC Hotel New York Times Square

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Chelsea

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea

Moxy NYC Chelsea

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Central Park

Renaissance New York Hotel 57

Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side

New York Marriott Downtown

Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:48 am

What can you actually do with the $25 Destination fees? Is it avoidable? I have no interest in room service or their in-hotel restaurant.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite; World of Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SpicyMeatball
I've stayed here many, many times and have found it ideal due to proximity to trains (B,D,E outside the door, N 2 blocks north at 55th/7th), great lounge views on 44th floor, endless free water, soda, fruit, tea, snacks in lounge, and decent rooms with comfortable beds. Due to the ridiculous resort fee, I'm now looking for comparable alternatives for a 5 night stay using points (5th night free), likely Marriott properties.

However, I'm not seeing any comparable options at this point level. I can book 5 nights here for 48,000 Sarpoints (9600/night), equivalent to 144,000 Marriott points. The following Marriott properties are all higher at 180,000 points (and some also charge $25 fee! ):
The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
NY Marriott Marquis
NY Marriott East Side
Renaissance NY Times Square
Renaissance NY Midtown
JW Marriott Essex House NY

Following are slightly less at 140,000 Marriott points - do any provide a similar room quality and lounge experience as Sheraton?

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Central Park

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Downtown East

Residence Inn New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area

Courtyard New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area

Fairfield Inn New York Manhattan/Financial District

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area

Following are 160,000 - would any be worth the extra points (while saving the $25/night resort fee)?

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

SpringHill Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square

Moxy NYC Times Square

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Midtown East

AC Hotel New York Times Square

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square West

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Chelsea

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Chelsea

Moxy NYC Chelsea

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Central Park

Renaissance New York Hotel 57

Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Upper East Side

New York Marriott Downtown

I have an old rate (9600 SPG *5) locked in for Oct. However, given the reduced redemption rate of some of the Marriott NYC properties listed above and factoring in the 25 USD destination fee, would you still choose Sheraton NYTS over some slightly cheaper properties in NYC?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Perhaps this has been around for a while (I've stayed at this hotel many times but never tried to check a bag) but they charge $4 per piece of luggage to check a bag after check-out (or before check-in presumably). It is "cash only" (not sketchy at all and super customer friendly obviously) and run by a separate company. Plat Premier Elites do not get the fee waived. I know that this is more common at some hotel chains than others, but never stayed at a SPG property where this was charged.

Ironically I was trying to be helpful to the hotel by not taking up the room as I was going to take watch a couple of shows starting at 11:00 AM and come back at 4:30 PM to pick up my bags and head to the airport. So after discovering this fun fee I ended up just walking my bags up to my room and sticking them there and asking for a 4 PM checkout.

Find it amazing that the hotel can charge a "destination fee" and then still try to nickle and dime customers with package pickups and holding checked bags. Why isn't that included in the destination fee?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
As a platinum, I have never been charged the bag check fee if I arrive and a room is not ready at my time of arrival. Not sure about after departure since I have never tried to do that. "Destination fees" are the new norm in NYC. Package fees and checked bags are likely handled by a separate company as you mentioned so those likely will never be included in the destination fee.

I used to book the hotel frequently for award stays in the city but due to the increase to 50k per night when it used to be 12k SPG points I will seek other alternatives at the 50k per night rate. I personally think they will see a HUGE drop off in award bookings so they will drop their award rates once the bottom falls out of their reservations...that is unless awards were taking up rooms which the hotel could have otherwise sold for $ in the past.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by christianj
As a platinum, I have never been charged the bag check fee if I arrive and a room is not ready at my time of arrival. Not sure about after departure since I have never tried to do that. "Destination fees" are the new norm in NYC. Package fees and checked bags are likely handled by a separate company as you mentioned so those likely will never be included in the destination fee.
I get that destination fees are the new ridiculous norm. Either way, it doesn't matter that checked bags are done by a separate company. Fun fact, hotels use separate companies to do all kinds of things. A lot even outsource housekeeping management to other firms that specialize in that. Does that mean that housekeeping is now separate from the room fee?

The "it's another company" is a nonsensical excuse. It's nickle and diming, pure and simple, for a service that is standard at full service hotels (which this Sheraton purports to be).

The fact that it is cash-only and not linked to your folio is even more absurd than charging for it. I generally don't carry around cash, and I'm not about to go to the ATM to pay for a ridiculous fee like that.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:06 am

@ethernal.....I am not disagreeing with you on how ridiculous it is...I was simply stating why I believe these services are fee based and how the hotel evidently justifies the charge. Simple solution...stay elsewhere were you are not charged for these things. Honestly I don't get why you are getting worked up about the bag fee because you didn't pay it and brought your bags back to your room. Good for you and a loss for the hotel which had to give you a late checkout vs being able to rent the room out earlier.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by christianj
@ethernal.....I am not disagreeing with you on how ridiculous it is...I was simply stating why I believe these services are fee based and how the hotel evidently justifies the charge. Simple solution...stay elsewhere were you are not charged for these things. Honestly I don't get why you are getting worked up about the bag fee because you didn't pay it and brought your bags back to your room. Good for you and a loss for the hotel which had to give you a late checkout vs being able to rent the room out earlier.
The fundamental issue with "stay somewhere that doesn't charge these fees" is that this defeats the purpose of a brand, a hotel chain, and standards. I average around 180-200 nights a year in hotels and I stay at probably 25-30 different properties a year. I do not have time to research what every hotel is charging and the obscure rules for each one.

I stay at a Sheraton and I expect a standard suite (no pun intended) of services to be included in the room fee. One of which is getting my bag checked at no cost. Hotels that do things in a non-standard way blemish the Sheraton brand as a whole, and quite frankly Starriott as a whole. Uncertainty is the enemy of a frequent traveler, and I am disappointed that corporate allows this kind of nonsense.

Whether or not I paid the fee is irrelevant. The fact that I went down, tried to check my bags, realized there was a fee, had to go and check to make sure a 4 PM checkout was alright, and then return my bags to my room is a hugely negative customer experience.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:48 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The hotel appears to have a philosophy of outsourcing and charging customers for basic services so that they can focus on collecting money from rooms - it’s not a full service hotel in the usual understanding of the term. I would strongly recommend everyone to avoid it - all other ex SPG options in the area are preferable and I suspect the same could be true of many of the nearby Marriotts.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
[QUOTE=christianj;30243056]As a platinum, I have never been charged the bag check fee if I arrive and a room is not ready at my time of arrival. Not sure about after departure since I have never tried to do that. "Destination fees" are the new norm in NYC. Package fees and checked bags are likely handled by a separate company as you mentioned so those likely will never be included in the destination fee.

Just was looking at the new Perry Lane in Savannah GA, there too was a 'Destination Fee' of US$30!! It doesn't say what (if anything) it includes, just Destination Fee!!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:18 pm

Loved our suite!

We stayed here 8 nights and had a fantastic time! We paid for and received a suite. We took pictures from our room but not in the room. The lounge staff is very friendly and the management event one evening was fun for Platinums.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:39 am

I’ve always been a defender of this hotel as a decent functional option in NYC even when it was being ripped by others....well I’m here now and DONE defending the hotel. Lines are crazy long and this morning they were taking names and making people wait to enter the Club Lounge! There were at least 20-30 people standing there like a herd of cattle waiting to get in and they had one girl working the check in desk...the place was a zoo!Whoever decided that locating the lounge next to the entrance was a good idea clearly had no clue. Considering the service levels are nonexistent and the award category has increased I will never stay here again!
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by christianj; Dec 8, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:10 pm

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the hotel seems to have seen a recent DECREASE in the award category!! I think everyone (including myself) thought they had lost their minds when it went from a 12k SPG redemption to a 50k MR redemption in August. Well I was just looking for an award stay in NYC and noticed it's back down now to a 35k redemption rate per night which seems more in line with what it should be based on my last stay and the general comments in this thread.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...5-54ba596febe2
svo242 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.