Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vanheslig
That really sucks, that Marriott is still using Corona not to open Money. In the end, its all about reducing costs. You know any Marriott Hotel close to Times Square with a lounge, that is open?

The JW Essex House is relatively close to Times Square and the lounge is open. I don’t know if the lounge at the Marriott Marquis is open.
vanheslig likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:00 pm

Does anyone have a contact email for this property? I’ve latterly noticed they’ve charged me a $129 cancellation fee for a stay I made, and calling doesn’t seem to get you through to anyone on site.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vanheslig
Thanks, So the lounge ist still closed? For what reason? Corona is over. In Europe the lounges are open.
Has the club lounge here moved down to lobby level? The image on the website seems to indicate so.
Sheraton Club Lounge
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Has the club lounge here moved down to lobby level? The image on the website seems to indicate so.
Sheraton Club Lounge
It was always there at the street level. It seems to have been renovated though since i last visited.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:55 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by jaejaez
It was always there at the street level. It seems to have been renovated though since i last visited.
I remember a higher floor club in the SPG days Circa 2002 2003 plus.It had views and not of the street
Old Oct 13, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I remember a higher floor club in the SPG days Circa 2002 2003 plus.It had views and not of the street
They moved it down to ground floor long ago, probably ~10 years
Old Oct 13, 2022, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Oh
I was there last summer of 2021 the new beds were like cement with military members complaining(these folks sleep on the ground in sleeping bags!)
and the restaurant had just reopened with very slim pickings to say the least
Not sure I would return with all the NYC options.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 2:30 pm

Just returned from our stay and was utterly unimpressed. This property has 1700 rooms and on a sold out night accessing anything is kind of miserable. Our room was nice, our SNA were not honored because they were sold out but we did get upgraded to a higher floor room. Not that it ended up being an actual upgrade. Slow elevators made getting to the 49th floor kind of a pain and often going down the elevators (automatic distribution system) once had us stop on 8 floors. No way all those people could fit in the elevator. Half the people on lower floors got left behind. Housekeeping did an okay job on our room but failed to refill the basic amenities like coffee for the in room pot daily despite leaving a generous tip daily.

As elites we chose the free breakfast amenity which was abysmal. We arrived at breakfast around 9 am and there were 8 or so people in front of us. Took about 25 min to be seated DESPITE there being at least 7 tables I could see that were completely empty and 3 employees just hanging out at the front desk including one on her phone. Day 2 there were twice as many people in line so we just bailed and had something outside the hotel.

Breakfast itself was just boring. Some eggs, and overcooked bacon, sausage, small selection of fruit, oatmeal and bread.

There is a mandatory $30/night destination fee which you get back in the form of food and beverage credit. We thought we would use it at the Starbucks in the lobby, however any time before 10am there was ALWAYS a line of at least 10 or 15 people backed up into the lobby. We decided to use it in the hotel restaurant and we blew the entire $90 on a burger, and a grilled cheese sandwich and soup with a fountain drink. There's NYC prices and then there's this.

Hotel was well located for seeing shows, including Carnegie hall and walking distance to Rockefeller plaza. It was also at the north end of Times Square so it wasn't dumping you in the mess of tourists every time you walked out.

If we stay again, we will look for something else. Thank god this was a points stay (relatively good value because we only paid 40k a night for the room) because I would be absolutely livid if I had shelled out the $700 a night they were asking for our weekend.

Also club is 100% closed.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 4:17 pm

Sounds like a dream hotel
Wow how the mighty have fallen.
Remember back in 2002 and 2003 under SPG it was upg friendly and the beds were plush and luxurious
They had no cheese when I was there last to make an omelette due to covid
RIP SPG
Old Dec 14, 2022, 7:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Adding another experience from last week:

NYC was sold out solid the week I was staying - or rather, only if you are willing to pay rack rate and then some, such as $1,400 for a Courtyard, or $10,000 for the Presidential Suite at Edition. As such, the only place left in Manhattan for points redemption was here, and only room available was high floor, which means it was 60K per night + $60/night upcharge, or additional points. Given the alternative (they are charging $1,200/room), it was not a bad deal, so to speak.

CHECK-IN

There is a separate elite line. The person who checked me in probably worked at the DMV at the past, because that's the level of friendliness I received. She did note my Titanium status, and asked me whether I want "point or breakfast". I got points, thinking that the $30/day destination charge credit would cover most of the breakfast charges. (More on that later) The first floor lounge is closed. No upgrade to a suite, and cannot switch bed type from 2 double to 1 king, without even looking up the inventory. Again, DMV-level friendliness.

The elite line can be a saving grace, as I noticed a few groups at check-in and check-out, as well as airline crews. The regular line can be as long as 20+ people deep.

Also, my room cards worked through 4pm check-out, which is a plus.

ROOM

The hotel uses the smart elevator system, which means you put in your destination floor before the system directs you which elevator to use. The elevators were not so bad during my stay.

I got a room on the 47th floor, with a view to Central Park between buildings.

The room itself was unremarkable, with worn furniture and mattress where you can feel the springs when you sit down.

The bathroom features the dated Speakman 3 setting shower head now that's now common at Holiday Inn Express, which means it was never updated since the curved shower rod was installed back in early 2000's. Pharmacopia bath amenities were provided, but no shower gel.

There is no refrigerator in the room. There is no complimentary bottled water in the room either (or any bottled water), although you can get as many of the baby sized bottles from the bell stand. Going green indeed, as there is no separate bin for recycling rubbish. The space where the mini bar would have been located is locked. There are plenty of drawers and closet space. The fancy circular desk lamps provide plenty of power plugs, although there are no other source of lighting other than the overhead light at the entrance hallway.

Can't speak about housekeeping since I had the DND sign on the entire stay.

FOOD AND BEVERAGE

There is grab and go breakfast at the bar in the morning, along with Starbucks coffee beverages - no free coffee is provided other than the in-room coffee maker. Just note the long line, with only two people working. Hudson Market only serves breakfast, and has only 2 options: Continental buffet ($30+tax+15% tips) or Full buffet ($38+tax+15% tips). The full breakfast is basically what they would have offered in the lounge - bad scrambled eggs and egg whites, diced breakfast potato with peppers and onions, sausages, bacon, waffles, cut fruit, overnight oats and hot oatmeal, breads (I don't recall any pastries), and yogurt cups. No egg dishes to order, and no a la carte options available. Not even smoked salmon on bagel. At basically $48 per person all in, it would have been a better deal to take the free breakfast instead of the points. Then again, YMMV....

...because on the second night of my stay, the bar was closed for a private function, which means that there are no other venues to use up the $30 F&B credit that evening. C'est la vie.

OVERALL

I'm just annoying that this is a basic level hotel, and the $30 credit is just money grab (after all, they charge you a total of $34.42/day for destination charge after all the taxes). Location is great because it's close to most of the touristy stuff without being in the middle of Times Square. I would stay here as last resort if this is the last full service hotel available in Manhattan.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 7:50 pm

Who wouldn't have opted for a night at the Courtyard for 1400 dollars? Deal!
Bonvoyed forever
Old Dec 16, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Adding another experience from last week:

NYC was sold out solid the week I was staying - or rather, only if you are willing to pay rack rate and then some, such as $1,400 for a Courtyard, or $10,000 for the Presidential Suite at Edition. As such, the only place left in Manhattan for points redemption was here, and only room available was high floor, which means it was 60K per night + $60/night upcharge, or additional points. Given the alternative (they are charging $1,200/room), it was not a bad deal, so to speak.

CHECK-IN

There is a separate elite line. The person who checked me in probably worked at the DMV at the past, because that's the level of friendliness I received. She did note my Titanium status, and asked me whether I want "point or breakfast". I got points, thinking that the $30/day destination charge credit would cover most of the breakfast charges. (More on that later) The first floor lounge is closed. No upgrade to a suite, and cannot switch bed type from 2 double to 1 king, without even looking up the inventory. Again, DMV-level friendliness.

The elite line can be a saving grace, as I noticed a few groups at check-in and check-out, as well as airline crews. The regular line can be as long as 20+ people deep.

Also, my room cards worked through 4pm check-out, which is a plus.

ROOM

The hotel uses the smart elevator system, which means you put in your destination floor before the system directs you which elevator to use. The elevators were not so bad during my stay.

I got a room on the 47th floor, with a view to Central Park between buildings.

The room itself was unremarkable, with worn furniture and mattress where you can feel the springs when you sit down.

The bathroom features the dated Speakman 3 setting shower head now that's now common at Holiday Inn Express, which means it was never updated since the curved shower rod was installed back in early 2000's. Pharmacopia bath amenities were provided, but no shower gel.

There is no refrigerator in the room. There is no complimentary bottled water in the room either (or any bottled water), although you can get as many of the baby sized bottles from the bell stand. Going green indeed, as there is no separate bin for recycling rubbish. The space where the mini bar would have been located is locked. There are plenty of drawers and closet space. The fancy circular desk lamps provide plenty of power plugs, although there are no other source of lighting other than the overhead light at the entrance hallway.

Can't speak about housekeeping since I had the DND sign on the entire stay.

FOOD AND BEVERAGE

There is grab and go breakfast at the bar in the morning, along with Starbucks coffee beverages - no free coffee is provided other than the in-room coffee maker. Just note the long line, with only two people working. Hudson Market only serves breakfast, and has only 2 options: Continental buffet ($30+tax+15% tips) or Full buffet ($38+tax+15% tips). The full breakfast is basically what they would have offered in the lounge - bad scrambled eggs and egg whites, diced breakfast potato with peppers and onions, sausages, bacon, waffles, cut fruit, overnight oats and hot oatmeal, breads (I don't recall any pastries), and yogurt cups. No egg dishes to order, and no a la carte options available. Not even smoked salmon on bagel. At basically $48 per person all in, it would have been a better deal to take the free breakfast instead of the points. Then again, YMMV....

...because on the second night of my stay, the bar was closed for a private function, which means that there are no other venues to use up the $30 F&B credit that evening. C'est la vie.

OVERALL

I'm just annoying that this is a basic level hotel, and the $30 credit is just money grab (after all, they charge you a total of $34.42/day for destination charge after all the taxes). Location is great because it's close to most of the touristy stuff without being in the middle of Times Square. I would stay here as last resort if this is the last full service hotel available in Manhattan.
i just checked out this hotel earlier today. A portion of the bar was closed off for a holiday party for elite guests on Wednesday evening. The reception was sparsely attended but I was pleasantly surprised by the food quality & the fact that they were allowing invitees to order anything off the bar. I had several Macallan 18’s ($60 per glass on the bar menu) and enjoyed the reception.

this hotel is not my go to hotel in midtown. Upgraded and service is non existent but they made an effort with the holiday party
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
My company rented the 44th Floor Club Lounge for events starting in 2017. Iirc, they indicated that they "recently" moved the club to the first floor. The 44th floor Lounge was on the 7th Avenue side with views down 7th Avenue to Times Square, up to Central Park and west toward the river. It was a very nice, if small, space.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by bosman
My company rented the 44th Floor Club Lounge for events starting in 2017. Iirc, they indicated that they "recently" moved the club to the first floor. The 44th floor Lounge was on the 7th Avenue side with views down 7th Avenue to Times Square, up to Central Park and west toward the river. It was a very nice, if small, space.
You are right, not as long ago as I thought. This post indicates the lounge moved during 2017. IMO the new lounge is an improvement (if it ever reopens) even with a lesser view - the old one was frequently jam packed.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:58 pm

It’s a total joke that the lounge here still hasn’t reopened. The hotel is mobbed and seems to be at full capacity.

Are properties with closed lounges “because covid” required to give you the extra 750 points per night?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.