Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]

As of June 2022 :

Chambers Club opening hours:
Opens at 7am until 10pm
Club’s Breakfast : Weekdays : 7am-11am, Weekends: 7am-12pm
Club’s Pre-Dinner Snacks : Daily : 5:30pm-7:30pm Hot snacks, Cold snacks, and dessert buffet including complimentary house spirits.

As a part of Club experience you may bring one additional guest to the club with you and any additional will be subject to Club access fee of £80 per person.
Print Wikipost

Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:01 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by stuartpig
The hotel offers very little without the Chambers Club. The area (for me personally) is too busy and other than the British Library (I worked for the library but in the north), there isn’t much of note in the immediate area. Canary Wharf for me.
it’s interesting how different people are - this is one of our favourite areas in London! The bars and restaurants are great and we like walking around the canal and old granary area. Whereas for me, Canary Wharf has no attraction whatsoever 😊
ExArkie likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Donsyb
it’s interesting how different people are - this is one of our favourite areas in London! The bars and restaurants are great and we like walking around the canal and old granary area. Whereas for me, Canary Wharf has no attraction whatsoever 😊
Good job we all like different things I guess!
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by Donsyb
we've had two great stays there this year, upgraded to chambers suite both times with full benefits (drinks and nibbles at the bar, free breakfast, free mini bar, free parking). We also paid much less that the rate you quoted - although I appreciate that may be the rate for the night you stayed. Other than the club being closed, all the other benefits are there. And we don’t generally eat in the hotel so the restaurant isn’t an issue for us.
Its pushing £300 ish for the dungeon ( aka the one window rooms overlooking the library)
I'm emailing them to confirm how bad is. the hotel sort of makes sense for this stay. I think the hotel ( much like the City of London in general) was built for a UK that was much closer to the EU - less people needing to go to Brussels and Paris these days.Also the tech companies that have offices nearby are all remote, with some exceptions

I'm going to verify what's opened and what's not - the reports that I have gotten from people who stayed there last month was that the booking house was entirely boarded up and maintenance ( i.e housekeeping and cleaning) was spotty, downright awful .

At £300-£400 a night. I don't need to put up with mediocrity cloaked in Victorian charm from 2010.
stuartpig likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
A friend stayed here last weekend. Service was spotty. Had to call down several times for extra beds for their kids. Bags weren't taken to the room despite being left there after an early arrival. Printer paper ran out on checkout... breakfast eggs are being cooked on a camping stove equivalent! Chambers Club and Booking Office still shut.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 12:57 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Chambers Club is apparently reopening mid November, nothing more specific than that. Cancelled my upcoming stays.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Chambers Club is apparently reopening mid November, nothing more specific than that. Cancelled my upcoming stays.
This from Mid October. This certainly does not stop the hotel from actually selling the Chambers Club suites, in fact on some of my days in December the chambers club suite is sold out.

I'll be fine if -

1) Daily Housekeeping. This covid nonsense of not cleaning rooms has to stop. Reports are you only get housekeeping for 3 night or more stays on the 3rd night only. Are we still living in pre vaccine 2020?
2 Room available at check in time. I've heard stories of rooms not being available as late as 1600-1700
3) The spa and pool open, sauna steamrooms etc, esp in December in London.
4) Food outlets operating, the booking office etc ( I'm willing to tolerate this not bring fully open because there are other places nearby). But we need the bar open if the chambers club is closed.

1, 2 and 3 are non negotiable

On my days the one window dungeon rooms facing the library in the barlow wing are going for £380 a night. That's firmly in lower tier 5 star prices for London, excluding places like Claridges etc

The chambers club would be nice, but not necessary .

Last edited by OpenSky; Oct 29, 2021 at 11:30 pm
Old Oct 29, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by OpenSky
1) Daily Housekeeping. This covid nonsense of not cleaning rooms has to stop.
2) Food outlets operating, the booking office etc ( I'm willing to tolerate this not bring fully open because there are other places nearby)

1 and 3 are non negotiable.
The spa and pool are open and you can request housekeeping.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 2:44 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by OpenSky
This from Mid October. This certainly does not stop the hotel from actually selling the Chambers Club suites, in fact on some of my days in December the chambers club suite is sold out.

I'll be fine if -

1) Daily Housekeeping. This covid nonsense of not cleaning rooms has to stop. Reports are you only get housekeeping for 3 night or more stays on the 3rd night only. Are we still living in pre vaccine 2020?
2 Room available at check in time. I've heard stories of rooms not being available as late as 1600-1700
4) Food outlets operating, the booking office etc ( I'm willing to tolerate this not bring fully open because there are other places nearby). But we need the bar open if the chambers club is closed.

1, 2 and 3 are non negotiable

On my days the one window dungeon rooms facing the library in the barlow wing are going for £380 a night. That's firmly in lower tier 5 star prices for London, excluding places like Claridges etc

The chambers club would be nice, but not necessary .
we had housekeeping every day when we stayed in October.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 3:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
disappointing I cancelled a mid October stay because it was still closed. Tbh I was just choosing this property over another for the same points as chambers club swung in its favour.

I have another early Nov stay and might switch elsewhere as frankly I don’t need the Marriott nights and there are plenty of other Amex cashback offers to use
Old Oct 30, 2021, 10:25 am

Sounds like many, including myself, are waiting for the Chambers Club to reopen before returning, it was certainly the highlight of my last stay. However from recent feedback, I’m not so confident that when it does reopen, which sounds like it may be soon, that it will do so to the standard it was at before.
Markie likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Sounds like many, including myself, are waiting for the Chambers Club to reopen before returning, it was certainly the highlight of my last stay. However from recent feedback, I’m not so confident that when it does reopen, which sounds like it may be soon, that it will do so to the standard it was at before.
I'm Swiss, but the sense I got was the hotel was built for the pre brexit UK. With the UK out of the EU - there is less need to shuttle to Brussels. I noticed a step drop in the Eurostar crowd of consultants that would routinely stay at this hotel and go to offices nearby then shuttle back to Brussels or Paris after the exit was complete. International tourism is also not fully back.

The business climate changed even before Coivd, I think we may not ever see the same spread at the Chambers Club for a while, unless something fundamentally changes. For one - the Eurostar needs to go back to its pre covid schedule.
Is there even the same demand for the pre brexit Eurostar schedule ? I don't think so.

In the meantime, the hotel needs to change I think, you can't charge £300-400 for the entry level room and not provide services. A refresh is also really overdue. If anything I could see this hotel being made smaller - due to the changed business climate.
Markie likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: Titanium at Marriott & Platinum at American (both Lifetime) + various others
Very sad to see how this hotel has declined

This was my preferred London hotel pre-Covid, but sadly no-more. The Chambers Club was the best Exec Lounge outside Asia I have ever used, although apparently not available to Platinum members (had to be Titanium; or pay extra for a room with Lounge access). I was very fond of the Gilbert Scott restaurant, but that closed in May and won't re-open. Hopefully somebody new will take over the space in due course. The new Booking Hall restaurant is due to open mid Nov, but I'm waiting and seeing. In the first phase it isn't even open seven days per week. Finally and most damning of all, lots of negative comments on TripAdvisor, with no response from hotel management.

In a year of domestic rather than international travel, I have found the J W Marriott Grosvenor House the best replacement in London. I was even able to use the Local Promotional Rate (LPR) code in mid November, And there is a widely available (at least in the UK) Amex offer of £100 off for £400 spend that i have been able to use multiple times across our various cards
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MisterE
This was my preferred London hotel pre-Covid, but sadly no-more. The Chambers Club was the best Exec Lounge outside Asia I have ever used, although apparently not available to Platinum members (had to be Titanium; or pay extra for a room with Lounge access). I was very fond of the Gilbert Scott restaurant, but that closed in May and won't re-open. Hopefully somebody new will take over the space in due course. The new Booking Hall restaurant is due to open mid Nov, but I'm waiting and seeing. In the first phase it isn't even open seven days per week. Finally and most damning of all, lots of negative comments on TripAdvisor, with no response from hotel management.

In a year of domestic rather than international travel, I have found the J W Marriott Grosvenor House the best replacement in London. I was even able to use the Local Promotional Rate (LPR) code in mid November, And there is a widely available (at least in the UK) Amex offer of £100 off for £400 spend that i have been able to use multiple times across our various cards
I am not sure you can really say the hotel has declined if you haven’t stayed recently, although I agree it’s disappointing they somehow still haven’t opened the lounge. I do take trip advisor with a pinch of salt, as the typical reviewers are very unlike the elites we find on this forum.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:32 am

I am staying therein a few weeks will report back. I do remember what this hotel was like pre brexit and pre covid.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London is doing an inadequate job maintaining its "COVID-19 updates and what to expect at our hotel" page.

It still says the Chambers Club "returns October 2021," when, in reality, it's already November and the Chambers Club is still closed.

It says the Hansom is "Open for Breakfast, All Day Dining, Cocktails and Afternoon Tea (Thursday-Sunday)," Is it really open? I went to OpenTable to see if I could figure out the status of the Hansom. OpenTable is only taking reservations for January 2, 2022 and after.

Recent reviews of the St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel London on TripAdvisor have been mostly awful. I normally ignore most 1-bullet and 2-bullet TripAdvisor reviews. Such reviews often involve unrealistic expectations. What really matters is what the 3-, 4-, and 5-bullet reviews say. However, there are currently so many negative reviews of the St. Pancras Renaissance that it seems the hotel really needs to get its act together.

I booked a 3-night stay for 2022. It will be our first time at the St. Pancras Renaissance. I hope it will once again be the hotel with the excellent reputation it earned in pre-covid times.

Last edited by Horace; Nov 8, 2021 at 2:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.