Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]

As of June 2022 :

Chambers Club opening hours:
Opens at 7am until 10pm
Club’s Breakfast : Weekdays : 7am-11am, Weekends: 7am-12pm
Club’s Pre-Dinner Snacks : Daily : 5:30pm-7:30pm Hot snacks, Cold snacks, and dessert buffet including complimentary house spirits.

As a part of Club experience you may bring one additional guest to the club with you and any additional will be subject to Club access fee of £80 per person.
Print Wikipost

Renaissance St. Pancras, London, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Only Titaniums and above get access to the Chambers Club. As a platinum you get free breakfast in the Booking Office. FWIW, I find the booking office breakfast to actually be a little better than the Chambers Club.
does this hotel have an exclusion because I thought platinums got lounge access in Ren properties?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:46 am
Suspended

I had a reservation on points here earlier this month just as I switched from titanium to ambassador status. Bit of an interregnum as I didn't yet have an ambassador agent assigned to me. At t-minus 48 hours I checked into the property using the Marriott mobile app. I sent a chat message and asked for a suite upgrade since all categories were available. they declined to upgrade me beyond from the basic room to the next category. Waited until day of arrival and called titanium desk but was transferred to ambassador service. Ambassador called property and the property still refused to upgrade to a suite even though every suite category was available for booking. I canceled my stay, ambassador agent refunded the points, and she says she wrote the property up for review by the division that enforces the rules.
Horace and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I booked this hotel previously but after finding out about Platinums not having access to the lounge, I cancelled the booking and won’t consider it in future unless the policy changes. It’s a bit like the Sheraton “towers” issue although not even Ambassador can access those.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Bonvoyed x 2
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Just stayed at the hotel for three nights. I really wanted to like it - when the hotel was good it was extremely good, when bad it was terrible. If not for the location I would strike this off my list of hotels to stay at.

The Good
  • I had my ambassador reach out ahead of time regarding leaving a car seat at the hotel in advance. When I arrived to deposit it the concierge greeted me by name without needing to do a lot of research/identity verification. On checking in the car seat was already in my room.
  • Nice check-in staff (in particular, a Dutch gentleman) who remembered me by name throughout the stay.
  • Chambers club - a nicer than average lounge with great and proactive staff.
  • Wonderful building - both external and internal: and of course, the location can’t be beat if you’re coming into or going out if London by train

The Bad
  • We had a problem with cigarette smoke coming into our room the first night we stayed. My wife couldn’t sleep the entire night because of the smoke, and we didn’t want our son to inhale the second hand smoke.

When we spoke to the manager no apology was forthcoming - instead she seemed doubtful and we were told that smoke alarms in the hotel were very sensitive and any smoking would have set them off. The manager said that engineering would look into it and she would get back to us.

The manager did not follow up with us so I spoke with her again. This time I pressed for a room change on a different floor as she said they were unable to identify the responsible parties. At that time she mentioned that they had received many other complaints that morning. She found another room for us which she promised was a bigger and better room; but when we went to it it was a smaller room. Note that I would have been happy to take a smaller room as long as it was smoke-free: however I really did not appreciate her flexibility with the truth. (This is maybe the third time I’ve had problems with smoke in my room- in previous instances the managers in the hotels handled the issue respectfully, honestly, and truthfully)
  • Guest services took more than 5 minutes on two separate occasions to answer the phone. Multiple calls were also needed to get what I wanted right. (Handy tip if you end up staying here: call the concierge instead! They answer much more quickly and can also help with room service, etc - they also score better in actually passing on the correct message)

The Neutral
  • I had initially hoped to get help with my luggage down to the Eurostar. There is a VIP transfer service but it is only for customers staying in full fare signature suites. Other than the VIP transfer service, porters are unable to assist in any ways outside the hotel/inside the train station.
  • On check-in I presented my British driving license and gave my US address. However the check-in forms had my nationality as China. Great guess on my ethnic background but unfortunately quite far from the truth!
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Melodsal

The Neutral
  • I had initially hoped to get help with my luggage down to the Eurostar. There is a VIP transfer service but it is only for customers staying in full fare signature suites. Other than the VIP transfer service, porters are unable to assist in any ways outside the hotel/inside the train station.
by comparison the kuala lumpur le meridien (likewise attached to a major train station) has valets who will meet you in the train station and if you ask nice enough wipe your butt or jump off a building for you. they likewise insist on carrying your bags when you depart.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Only Titaniums and above get access to the Chambers Club. As a platinum you get free breakfast in the Booking Office. FWIW, I find the booking office breakfast to actually be a little better than the Chambers Club.
Thanks. Is this true for Titaniums on an award stay?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks. Is this true for Titaniums on an award stay?
Yes
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Beautiful hotel/structure, Friendly service

St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel

Map| 5 Reviews | 40% Recommended

Euston Road London, GB NW1 2AR

Beautiful hotel/structure, Friendly service (21 Photos)

I've always wanted to try this property out since it opened because it was located in the old St. Pancreas station.  Finally got a chance to try it out for a 1 night stay as I was visiting a relative in London that stayed closed to Kings Cross station.  I booked this room for 50k points + 50GBP.  (slightly higher as it can also be had for 40k during the low period).

Pan_entrance.jpgPan_outdoor1.jpgPan_outdoor2.jpg

Check In

I had actually already done an online check-in, however unlike the Hilton app, I still had to drop by the front desk to collect my keycard.  I arrived late afternoon and the front desk was not too busy - although the hotel itself was busy.  Since it was my first time to the hotel, I did initially thought that the concierge desk area was the check-in area, but was later pointed to the real check-in desk area.

I was helped by a friendly (trainee) associate (who happened to be also Dutch - she identified me from my address on profile).  I was offered on-arrival drinks, a prosecco or lemonade.  I loved how the prosecco was served in those vintage champagne glasses (like those from the 50's/60's movie).  I was given a rundown of the facilities at the hotel and the benefit as an elite member.

As indicated by many, the downside of this property is lack of upgrades - although in this occasion, from what I see, the hotel was fully sold out.  So I was given the room I had booked - would have been nice under such occasion the hotel can still try and maybe provide some additional arrival inroom gift, e.g. chocolates, etc to just show some appreciation since no upgrade was possible.

Room

The room was located in the Barlow Wing on the 6th floor.  From the hotel description, this room is supposed to be one higher compared to the Deluxe room type.  I believe it is just bigger in size and other than that all facilities are the same.  

The room was well appointed and decorated in my opinion to suite the hotel architecture.  There was a sitting area and a sort of working desk (it was a round table) which I guess could function as a multi use table too.  Other than that, there was a coffee/tea making facility and a Nespresso machine (not sure if this is available in all rooms, or just Superior rooms and above).  In addition, the room had bathrobes and an umbrella.  

View of the room was from a small window towards the rooftop of the British library.  Other than that small window, there was not much natural light - although the room had quite a number of lights for a brighter room.  The temperature control in the room was good - especially even at a high fan speed, it was not loud.  

TV was large and had quite a good number of local and international channels.  It was also equipped to stream your device.  I believe it had quite a number of different advanced functions (which I did not investigate).  Wifi in the room was ok - sufficiently fast and stable.  (Although quite irritating that moving from different location the wifi switches and you might need to reconnect again manually).  

Bathroom size was ok - two person fits with a tight fit.  There was no walk-in shower and the bathtub height was on a high side getting in/out from it.  A glass protection was used and as usual with such option, the floor will get slightly wet depending I guess how the shower head was angled, etc.  Other than that, both water pressure and temperature control was good.  The only small complain I have would be the towel racks, they had too narrow opening between the wall/surface to the rack - making it slightly difficult to hang the towels.  Toiletries were the usual Tokyo Milk brand.  

All in all, it was an ok room - functional and ok in size (especially for London).

Pan_Bath1.jpgPan_Bath2.jpgPan_Bed1.jpgPan_Bed2.jpgPan_bed3.jpgPan_bed4.jpg

Chambers Club

From what I read, access to the Chambers club is only for guests staying in the Chambers floor/building and Titanium members and above.  I believe due to this requirement, I would say this has to be one of the most pleasant lounge which I've been to which where it did not feel like open to all.  

The lounge was accessible via the Booking Office. The lounge itself was very grand (just like the rest of the hotel) and well spaced out.  There was sitting areas which was well divided so it never really felt crowded even when it got busy.  Although if there were groups of guests (with access) wanted to sit together, there were not too many options and some rearrangement might be needed.

The lounge F&B timings were very good and in my opinion very well planned.  The offerings were very good for all the different time of the day with a good balance between quality and offerings.  I guess this is possible due to the exclusivity of the lounge.  Both non-alcoholic and alcoholic offerings was very good with an option to order premium drinks with additional payment (I didn't check the list, but I suspect it will be the list from the Booking Office bar/restaurant).  Guests are also allowed to order from an All day menu - which was priced as expected from such an establishment.  

Service in the lounge was very good, where the lounge associates would bring you your drinks or any other items ordered.   Again, something that I would expect from such a lounge of this standard.

The evening canapes offerings were quite solid with different starters, 3 different hot dishes (including a meat dish), good selection of cheeses and some desserts.  Only small complain here would be that refilling of the items did take some time - the serving portions by itself was on a smaller side to keep it elegant and civilized.  

Breakfast offerings were also very good, with a typical English breakfast spread and a couple of other items which could be ordered, including eggs to order.  I was quite impressed with the breakfast timings during the weekend - with not many hotel having it available until 12.  Again, very attentive service during the breakfast hours.  

All in all, I would say this has got to be one of the better lounge experience that I've had in a long time especially without the crowding and masses of people especially during the evening canape/breakfast hours.

Pa_ChambersClub6.jpgPan_ChambersClub1.jpgPan_chambersClub2.jpgPan_ChambersClub3.jpgPan_ChambersClub4.jpgPan_ChambersClub5.jpgPan_ChambersClub7.jpgPan_ChambersClubBenefit.jpg

Service

All in all, with the different interactions I had with the different groups at the hotel, I felt that the service was good - friendly and helpful.   Since quite a lot of hotels these days have the messaging function possiblity, I am happy to say that during the 1 occasion when I used it before arriving at the hotel, the hotel reacted to the message promptly and my request was acknowledged and delivered to my satisfaction.

The main complain during my stay was sadly related to the housekeeping department.  On the day of departure, I had housekeeping knocking on my door around 10 am and when I opened it, she was just standing there staring at me and I had to ask for the reason.  She just kept repeating housekeeping, which I said I was departing that morning, which is acknowledged but still standing there staring at me.  I had to be the one to initiate the questions and answers - and even though I said I was going to leave at around 11am, she said ok with an unpleasant look on her face.  The whole episode left a very bad impression to what had been a good stay because I felt like I was overstaying and needed to get out of the room to accommodate to their schedule.  This is actually my first time feeling like I overstayed (even before the official check-out time), I can't imagine how it would have been if I had requested for a late check-out.  Anyway, due to to this, I decided to just quickly pack up to leave.  This situation remains one of the most baffling situation that I've encountered. Not sure if it was just the housekeeping associates assigned to my floor, but another one which I met in the hallway while walking to the lift, which I iniated the greeting, she did not even bother to look up or response.   

Overall

All in all, a very pleasant stay (except for the last hour of my stay) in what I see as a very iconic building.  They have maintained the functionality and the asthetic of the building very well.   I know a lot of other elite members will not like what I am about to say, but I just wished that if hotels will limit access to the lounges, so that it maintains some decency like this one (or is my experience an exception - which I doubt since it was during a weekend and close to the holiday season).  

Too bad I did not have the time to check out the spa and swimming pool area.  Also what was quirky was that they did have a position where they would just be folding the napkins.  (This person works in what I would call a napkin room, just at the entrance towards the Booking office, to the right of the Front Desk) 

Pan_Bookingoffice.jpg

Pan_hallway.jpgPan_Hallway2.jpgPan_hallway3.jpg

Beautiful hotel/structure, Friendly service

Would you like to write a review on the St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Nice review. Thank you.

Do I read it correctly: the lounge gives access to the room occupants (plural, so let's assume two people) *plus* one other making a possible total of *three* people getting access to the lounge?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
For Titaniums in the Barlow wing, I believe everyone staying in the same room gets access to the lounge. They typically don't check at the entrance anyway, so as long as everyone enters with the entry card holder you should be fine.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:18 pm

I'm amazed that even Chamber's Club access doesn't give you more than wine and beer. An additional charge for spirits! I wonder how they get away with not allowing access to all elites when their offerings are worse than many standard lounges!
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I'm amazed that even Chamber's Club access doesn't give you more than wine and beer. An additional charge for spirits! I wonder how they get away with not allowing access to all elites when their offerings are worse than many standard lounges!
Wine and beer only is standard in the lounges at the regular Marriott-brand properties in and around London. But I agree that this hotel's specific positioning and lounge-access rules would suggest a more premium offering. On the other hand, it's available all afternoon and evening which could be hopelessly abused by some. Me, probably, if I ever stay there.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Wine and beer only is standard in the lounges at the regular Marriott-brand properties in and around London. But I agree that this hotel's specific positioning and lounge-access rules would suggest a more premium offering. On the other hand, it's available all afternoon and evening which could be hopelessly abused by some. Me, probably, if I ever stay there.
I must have been spoiled in Asia Pacific lounges / legacy-SPG properties!
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:51 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I am not sure what you mean by spirits, but during the evening canape session, there were a couple of strong options available - Bacardi, Tequila, Whiskey, etc, and I ordered a Baileys and it was not charged even though served to me (most of the time, when the attendants were not busy and saw you wanting to pour drinks for yourself), they will take your order to bring it to you. I can say that they are VERY generous with their pour of Baileys - never had one served to me in close to a full cocktail glass when being served.

For me indeed - the wording of the lounge access was puzzling to me, but since I had no 3rd person in the room to test it out, I can't confirm if it does mean 2+1 guest.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.