Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:44 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by gan911
so visiting bkk again as a part of my honeymoon. I've been once before and stayed at the renaissance for a week. wife's first time in bkk. planning to stay 5 nights (to help with jet leg). This trip will be late april
1. should i split my time between a river hotel and a city hotel to help with transportation/traffic? I'd imagine first few days can be rough after all that flying.
2. which property offers a good breakfast? I love asian hotel breakfasts...they're typically grandiose and lots of variety. I'm plat, so I should be able to receive breakfast at all the locations.
3. best chance of upgrades? I'd assume LM would be best, then maybe SGS/W/StR/athenee?
4. Will probably pay out of pocket, considering the rates during that time are <$150/nt

tips? hints?
- Any status with Marriott? Breakfast at lounge or restaurant?
- Write the property directly and inform them about your honeymoon and request any special consideration for such.
- Go for the river location, views, and ambiance - you will sweep your bride off her feet the second time around.
- You should at least get a lovely Jr. Suite at the ROS. But breakfast by the river is the clincher!

happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:09 pm

Thank you Kalboz for thoe two last posts, really great info!
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by geminidreams
The best pool in my opinion is the Athenee. It is also close to BTS. ROS has very little in walking distance but with river ferries its easy to get to a number of tourist spots.
Actually, the ROS has two pools and both get direct sun exposure in the afternoon as the sub sets in the opposite direction.

The 9th floor pool at the MMQP taken from 31st floor at 11:00 AM this morning.

The tale of 2 pools at the ROS - 2nd one above the blue pier at the Portuguese Embassy

The pool at Marriott Sukhumvit 57 is nice but small
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:19 am

Question from the BKK Marriott thread: ROS lounge?

Originally Posted by paolo64
You could ask ROS ... This is one of the very best lounges ...
Originally Posted by barracuda93
The only good thing about ROS lounge is panoramic view of the river. Service is average, offerings are below.
Wow. What a stark difference in opinion. What do others who know the ROS have to say about this?

Just curious ...
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by decentmove
Wow. What a stark difference in opinion. What do others who know the ROS have to say about this?

Just curious ...
Well, evening service includes 5 hot dishes ( things like salmon, ribs, burgers, meatballs, various Thai dishes), some hot vegetarian things, a chef station preparing one dish ( eg, Peking duck, wonton soup, ), breads, cheeses, cold appetisers like sushi, hummus, small dishes, fruits, a selection of cakes pastries. It is extensive.
Breakfast now has an option of ordering eggs ( in the past this was the weak spot, offering only rather slimy looking scrambled eggs).
Service is very good.
Alcohol flows freely, including cocktails.
If there is a better lounge in Bangkok I’m yet to visit it ( it’s at least on a par with the Grand Hyatt). I simply can’t imagine being disappointed by it.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by paolo64
Well, evening service includes 5 hot dishes ( things like salmon, ribs, burgers, meatballs, various Thai dishes), some hot vegetarian things, a chef station preparing one dish ( eg, Peking duck, wonton soup, ), breads, cheeses, cold appetisers like sushi, hummus, small dishes, fruits, a selection of cakes pastries. It is extensive.
Breakfast now has an option of ordering eggs ( in the past this was the weak spot, offering only rather slimy looking scrambled eggs).
Service is very good.
Alcohol flows freely, including cocktails.
If there is a better lounge in Bangkok I’m yet to visit it ( it’s at least on a par with the Grand Hyatt). I simply can’t imagine being disappointed by it.
Cheese selection is poor (for example, Marriott Marquis has two sorts of high quality soft cheese, while ROS had one basic brie), meats choice is nearly non-existent (versus a rich choice at Marquis or IC), no fresh juices. By "sushi" do you mean maki? Don't remember any proper sushi there. Eggs on order are made, but egg benedict was a total disappointment.
Alcohol choice is limited, no proper cognac or whisky available.

As for cocktails, well. Last time I saw a cocktail on their menu having Martell VSOP as an ingredient and asked if I may have a drink of Martell instead. The guy said they don't have it. I said okay, what do you have at the moment, expecting to see some other cognac like RM or whatever. He pulled a god-knows-what thing from the storage which was not even a cognac and told me they use that. No, thanks. I won't dare touching that. And I think substituting ingredients in this manner is dishonest at best if not violating consumer laws.

Service-wise it was the worst lounge I have seen in Bangkok. Offering-wise – average. Significantly worse than Marriott Marquis/IC/Anantara and on par with Westin. Views were great, but all the rest made me not wishing to stay there again, as none of my two past stays there were satisfying.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: Some
Cheese selection is poor (for example, Marriott Marquis has two sorts of high quality soft cheese, while ROS had one basic brie), meats choice is nearly non-existent (versus a rich choice at Marquis or IC), no fresh juices. By "sushi" do you mean maki? Don't remember any proper sushi there. Eggs on order are made, but egg benedict was a total disappointment.

As for cocktails, well. Last time I saw a cocktail on their menu having Martell VSOP as an ingredient and asked if I may have a drink of Martell instead. The guy said they don't have it. I said okay, what do you have at the moment, expecting to see some other cognac like RM or whatever. He pulled a god-knows-what thing from the storage which was not even a cognac and told me they use that. No, thanks. I won't dare touching that. And I think substituting ingredients in this manner is dishonest at best if not violating consumer laws.

Service-wise it was the worst lounge I have seen in Bangkok. Offering-wise – average. Significantly worse than Marriott Marquis/IC/Anantara and on par with Westin. Views were great, but all the rest made me not wishing to stay there again, as none of my two past stays there were satisfying.
Just to pile in on top of this, would also add The Athenee and Marriott The Surawongse to the list just within Marriott. I also hear from friends the IC Bangkok lounge is excellent but haven't visited first hand - I suspect it will be better than ROS.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:00 am

I don’t believe the comparison with the Westin is valid ( although I like the hotel); ROS lounge is 10 + times larger and the food is superior in every regard; Athenee Lounge is a great space but the evening food is very average . IC is closer but no better and it’s more than twice the price at most times.
Can’t comment on the eggs Benedict but have had tasty omelet at ROS.
I don’t know about the Marquis but ROS is closest to the GH in lounge quality of the BAngkok hotels I know.
I’ve always found the service to be great , the food varied and delicious.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Cheese selection is poor (for example, Marriott Marquis has two sorts of high quality soft cheese, while ROS had one basic brie) ......
I have not been to the Westin for a little over a year, Peter Zimmermann, the Director of F&B had left a few months before, but at that time, that small Westin lounge still had - by far - the best cheese selection (they get it from the same vendor that supplies the Athenee for their Sunday brunch) of all the Starwood hotels in Bangkok (+ the Marriott Marquis & JW Marriott).

Another good cheese selection, but it is too repetitive, is the one at Rossini's, the Italian restaurant at the SGS (not a lounge, but an exclusive breakfast for Platinum members and probably some guests that booked at certain rates).
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UASPG
Another good cheese selection, but it is too repetitive, is the one at Rossini's, the Italian restaurant at the SGS (not a lounge, but an exclusive breakfast for Platinum members and probably some guests that booked at certain rates).
The quality of everything at Rossini's breakfast is excellent. Love the Iberico ham! And the chefs make fantastic omelets - last week the special was crab and river shrimp, and it was absolutely stuffed with crabmeat.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Kacee
The quality of everything at Rossini's breakfast is excellent. Love the Iberico ham! And the chefs make fantastic omelets - last week the special was crab and river shrimp, and it was absolutely stuffed with crabmeat.
Unfortunately, the Jamón ibérico had been replaced when I stayed at the hotel in December.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow. Maybe I should give Rossini's another look for breakfast, -- that omelet sounds great! I usually eat at Orchid Café for several reasons, including the large windows and the extremely wide selection. Also, for breakfast I prefer the buffet structure. Don't have to place order, wait for it to arrive, etc. Just get up and get what I want when I want.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Wow. Maybe I should give Rossini's another look for breakfast, -- that omelet sounds great!
It's described as a 'Festive Menu' so may well be rotated off the menu shortly, but still exists as of this morning .

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Jan 5, 2019 at 11:42 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Wow. Maybe I should give Rossini's another look for breakfast, -- that omelet sounds great! I usually eat at Orchid Café for several reasons, including the large windows and the extremely wide selection. Also, for breakfast I prefer the buffet structure. Don't have to place order, wait for it to arrive, etc. Just get up and get what I want when I want.
I really enjoy a big buffet (and also like the window seats at Orchid), but now gravitate towards Rossini's for the calm and high quality items. The one area I feel it falls short of Orchid is on the Thai food - just doesn't offer the same variety. But they will have the dim sum and the fresh mangos, and the chefs take more care cooking the omelets because there's less of a crush of patrons. They'll also make you a custom juice or smoothie.

The other thing I like about Rossini's is the gals who work there. Just like the Living Room . . . they love to welcome return guests and they provide that same style of warm, personalized service.

Originally Posted by UASPG
Unfortunately, the Jamón ibérico had been replaced when I stayed at the hotel in December.
They had a ham out end of year, but I didn't check the label.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:01 am

I beg to differ! MMQP has 3 types of cheese nightly during happy hour. And I counted eight (8) hot dishes - here's what we had tonight at happy hour at the MMQP which I consider the best in the Bangkok Marriott system:

Corn Soup, Baked Beef Lasagna, and French Fries.

Creamy seafood soup that resembles clam chowder but with a French name to place into disk-like puff pastry thingies

Chicken in Pandan leaf, Butter Chicken with rice, and Dim Sum

Emmental, Roquefort, and Camembert cheese

Spring Rolls and Smoked Duck Salad

The main event: Phad Thai

Shaved Ham

Salads, cold cuts, and bread

So much cake, you would think it's a wedding!

So basically if you are in no mood for going out to dinner, the food during happy hour more than makes up for it. There is always food in the lounge at MMQP:

06:00 AM - 11:00 AM Breakfast
12:00 Noon - 14:00 Sandwiches and salads
14:00 - 16:00 Desserts
17:30 - 19:30 Happy Hour
Alcohol served until 20:30
Desserts removed at 21:00

For the single person or a couple even if you don't get suite upgrade or breakfast at Goji, the elite treatment is wonderful at this property.
decentmove likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.