Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:02 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by UASPG
The "Camembert" is not bad, but it is definitely not a real Camembert - it is made in Korat.
Although, apparently, the name is not protected. The only protected label is “Camembert de Normandie AOP," referring to the French system AOP, which stands for Appellation d'origine protégée (Protected Designation of Origin).

They buy several Blue Cheeses, but no Roquefort.
Although I am not big on consuming cheese, I checked with Chef Aomsin (the Club lounge chef) just for you! I have no reason to dispute what she told me. All cheeses served at breakfast at Goji and the M-Club lounge are imported. Some of the soft cheeses served at happy hour are locally produced but the quality (she assured me) is the same or better than the imported ones as they go tasting and quality control.

Irish Cheddar

French Brie

Italian Parmigiano

Danish Blue

This is Chef Aomsin
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Unfortunately, I am!

Thanks for following up.

The cheeses from Goji and the lounge are both from imported and domestic origins.

As you can see, the blue cheese is not a Roquefort (I think the Danish blue cheese is toward the bottom of the list of the blue cheeses, but as stated earlier, they also have other blue cheeses).
I asked to see the packaged "Camembert" and only confirmed its domestic origin after doing so. The Brie is from France - I tasted it yesterday - but it's not that great.

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Although I am not big on consuming cheese, I checked with Chef Aomsin (the Club lounge chef) just for you! I have no reason to dispute what she told me. All cheeses served at breakfast at Goji and the M-Club lounge are imported. Some of the soft cheeses served at happy hour are locally produced but the quality (she assured me) is the same or better than the imported ones as they go tasting and quality control.

Irish Cheddar

French Brie

Italian Parmigiano

Danish Blue

This is Chef Aomsin
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by UASPG
The Brie is from France - I tasted it yesterday - but it's not that great.
I'm a sucker for good Brie, particularly the triple-cream.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
IME a lot of the cheeses served in Thailand are either very poor quality and/or extremely unripe (inedible)
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Next time you see one, you might to ask if it comes from Meaux or Melun (the 2 cities where they make this cheese in Seine-et-Marne), to find out which one you prefer.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by estnet
IME a lot of the cheeses served in Thailand are either very poor quality and/or extremely unripe (inedible)
Well, yes and no. Things have improved dramatically in recent years: it wasn’t so long ago that the cheese on offer was the sunflower yellow processed and cubed crap. At least there is variety now, albeit highly variable quality.
The Brie served in most Bangkok lounges ( and a few breakfast restaurants) is imported but it’s not ‘real’ in the French sense but rather a supermarket variety that sells in Europe for €4-6 from a small round. But it’s quite tasty and certainly better than nothing.
I don’t enjoy that locally made Camembert and pass on it.
I’ve not seen the truffle Brie in Bangkok but would like to try it
There is a growing local demand for cheese, eg, the decent selection at Central Chitlom ( patronised as much by locals as expats) and elsewhere. Unfortunately it’s very expensive ( and not getting cheaper despite the strong Baht and FTAs).
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by paolo64
Well, yes and no. Things have improved dramatically in recent years
I've generally been quite impressed with the quality of the European imports at SGS. My favorite are the miniature Italian biscotti they put in the mini-bar (and also serve with coffee in the Living Room). Totally addictive. They also have a very nice brie at Rossini's for breakfast (though I've never tried to identify the producer).
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
I am a Platinum Premier and will be in Bangkok for our anniversary. I will be redeeming points. The wife is a teetotaler but likes decent eating options at happy hour. I am a fan of the SGS but the lack of decent food options at happy hour will rule it out for the wife (and unlikely upgrades is also a downside). JW Marriott Sukhumvit is pretty good but perhaps a bit dated now? I have never stayed at the Soi 57 but it gets good reviews. I may split my stay at ROS and another more central location.

If cost of redemption is no consideration, what would you advise?

PS: I am also a Hilton Diamond and IHG Spire, if there are other options I should consider.

Last edited by 1k650; Feb 11, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Why is there a lack of decent options for Happy Hour at the SGS? I would say it's very good on that front.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Why is there a lack of decent options for Happy Hour at the SGS? I would say it's very good on that front.
I meant food options.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (RIP), Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Hello. Planning a trip for about a week to Bangkok with my parents. Debating between StR SGS and open to suggestions.

I'm Titanium on Bonvoy and Globalist on Hyatt so I'm debating on splitting my time between places.

I am not sure how strict the Bonvoy hotels are about titanium benefits only go to the room of the member. I'm not sure if I have to book a rate with breakfast for my parents room or if hotels are more flexible.

Due to all the IT issues I'm leaning more heavily on Hyatt lately but I've stayed at the StR before and really enjoyed it and was thnking of giving Bonvoy another shot on this trip.
It will be my parents first time to Bangkok so somewhere with some stuff close by would be nice. Places with good street food would be ideal.

Also side note what is "PA" that I keep reading here? I can't find a logical hotel name that would make sense.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PA = LRM Plaza Athenee, now just called the Athenee as LC.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cyb2888
Hello. Planning a trip for about a week to Bangkok with my parents. Debating between StR SGS and open to suggestions.
It would be helpful to know what you value. These are very different properties.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by cyb2888
I am not sure how strict the Bonvoy hotels are about titanium benefits only go to the room of the member. I'm not sure if I have to book a rate with breakfast for my parents room or if hotels are more flexible.

Due to all the IT issues I'm leaning more heavily on Hyatt lately but I've stayed at the StR before and really enjoyed it and was thnking of giving Bonvoy another shot on this trip.
It will be my parents first time to Bangkok so somewhere with some stuff close by would be nice. Places with good street food would be ideal.
If you want breakfast together then book the second room with a breakfast rate. Otherwise, you may or may not get lucky but luck is all it is and the anxiety over this may ruin the holiday for everyone. When I stayed at Le Merdien Bangkok with my parents they gave us both suites *but* I have a great personal relationship with this hotel and I sent my parents down for my breakfast and happy hour to see how the other half live. Platinum benefits according to the T&Cs go to the member + 1. If you want to ensure you all get breakfast together then book it for the other room.

I don't think the StR. will meet your criteria for street food nearby. Or, really, anything much immediately walkable if they're old and infirm. Willing to be corrected about this if there's a wonderful little street behind the hotel I don't know about. Otherwise, SGS is on Sukhumvit so it's going to be more lively immediately outside the front door. But, come on, if you really want the authentic Bangkok experience for aging parents with night-time street food and *more* then the obvious choice is Le Merdien and the Patpong street market with its unique associated nightlife isn't it.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The SGS is ideal for a first visit to Bangkok as you have the food court on the top(ish) floor of Century 21 which is accessible directly from the hotel. The mall's owners offered some of the best street food vendors in Bangkok rent-free or near rent-free access in return for making the mall popular. It's not got the same vibe as some of the Thonglor parking lots, but I'd be a lot happier taking my parents there then through ladyboy and ping pong shows in Patpong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.