Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 29, 16, 1:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: LIH Prem
Wiki Link
From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 1, 19, 7:02 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Plat Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by UASPG View Post
The "Camembert" is not bad, but it is definitely not a real Camembert - it is made in Korat.
Although, apparently, the name is not protected. The only protected label is “Camembert de Normandie AOP," referring to the French system AOP, which stands for Appellation d'origine protégée (Protected Designation of Origin).

They buy several Blue Cheeses, but no Roquefort.
Although I am not big on consuming cheese, I checked with Chef Aomsin (the Club lounge chef) just for you! I have no reason to dispute what she told me. All cheeses served at breakfast at Goji and the M-Club lounge are imported. Some of the soft cheeses served at happy hour are locally produced but the quality (she assured me) is the same or better than the imported ones as they go tasting and quality control.

Irish Cheddar

French Brie

Italian Parmigiano

Danish Blue

This is Chef Aomsin
Old Feb 1, 19, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM * AA Plat. * DL Nobody * Marriott LT Titanium & Ambassador * ICH Spire Amb.* HH Diamond *
Unfortunately, I am!

Thanks for following up.

The cheeses from Goji and the lounge are both from imported and domestic origins.

As you can see, the blue cheese is not a Roquefort (I think the Danish blue cheese is toward the bottom of the list of the blue cheeses, but as stated earlier, they also have other blue cheeses).
I asked to see the packaged "Camembert" and only confirmed its domestic origin after doing so. The Brie is from France - I tasted it yesterday - but it's not that great.

Originally Posted by Kalboz View Post
Although I am not big on consuming cheese, I checked with Chef Aomsin (the Club lounge chef) just for you! I have no reason to dispute what she told me. All cheeses served at breakfast at Goji and the M-Club lounge are imported. Some of the soft cheeses served at happy hour are locally produced but the quality (she assured me) is the same or better than the imported ones as they go tasting and quality control.

Irish Cheddar

French Brie

Italian Parmigiano

Danish Blue

This is Chef Aomsin
Old Feb 1, 19, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by UASPG View Post
The Brie is from France - I tasted it yesterday - but it's not that great.
I'm a sucker for good Brie, particularly the triple-cream.
Old Feb 1, 19, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
IME a lot of the cheeses served in Thailand are either very poor quality and/or extremely unripe (inedible)
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Feb 1, 19, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM * AA Plat. * DL Nobody * Marriott LT Titanium & Ambassador * ICH Spire Amb.* HH Diamond *
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Next time you see one, you might to ask if it comes from Meaux or Melun (the 2 cities where they make this cheese in Seine-et-Marne), to find out which one you prefer.
Old Feb 2, 19, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by estnet View Post
IME a lot of the cheeses served in Thailand are either very poor quality and/or extremely unripe (inedible)
Well, yes and no. Things have improved dramatically in recent years: it wasn’t so long ago that the cheese on offer was the sunflower yellow processed and cubed crap. At least there is variety now, albeit highly variable quality.
The Brie served in most Bangkok lounges ( and a few breakfast restaurants) is imported but it’s not ‘real’ in the French sense but rather a supermarket variety that sells in Europe for €4-6 from a small round. But it’s quite tasty and certainly better than nothing.
I don’t enjoy that locally made Camembert and pass on it.
I’ve not seen the truffle Brie in Bangkok but would like to try it
There is a growing local demand for cheese, eg, the decent selection at Central Chitlom ( patronised as much by locals as expats) and elsewhere. Unfortunately it’s very expensive ( and not getting cheaper despite the strong Baht and FTAs).
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by paolo64 View Post
Well, yes and no. Things have improved dramatically in recent years
I've generally been quite impressed with the quality of the European imports at SGS. My favorite are the miniature Italian biscotti they put in the mini-bar (and also serve with coffee in the Living Room). Totally addictive. They also have a very nice brie at Rossini's for breakfast (though I've never tried to identify the producer).
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA1k; B6 Mosiac; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
I am a Platinum Premier and will be in Bangkok for our anniversary. I will be redeeming points. The wife is a teetotaler but likes decent eating options at happy hour. I am a fan of the SGS but the lack of decent food options at happy hour will rule it out for the wife (and unlikely upgrades is also a downside). JW Marriott Sukhumvit is pretty good but perhaps a bit dated now? I have never stayed at the Soi 57 but it gets good reviews. I may split my stay at ROS and another more central location.

If cost of redemption is no consideration, what would you advise?

PS: I am also a Hilton Diamond and IHG Spire, if there are other options I should consider.

Last edited by 1k650; Feb 11, 19 at 1:49 pm
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Why is there a lack of decent options for Happy Hour at the SGS? I would say it's very good on that front.
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA1k; B6 Mosiac; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
Why is there a lack of decent options for Happy Hour at the SGS? I would say it's very good on that front.
I meant food options.
GalaxyChris likes this.