Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I don't like W BKK because the BTS noise that is very audible from the rooms I have stayed in (maybe about 3-4 times).
The rooms facing the Maha Nakhon tower had no BTS noise, so try getting one of those if you ever stay there again.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:07 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by geminidreams
I have stayed twice at W. Both times I was told breakfast or 500 points and ended up getting both. Breakfast there is good. Yes they are stingy with the drink vouchers but with the 50% off vouchers you get really good cocktails for the price of something drab from a local bar. If food and drink is the main driver for a hotel visit then yes you would be disappointed. I was upgraded first time to a junior suite and second time used SNA for a Marvelous suite so I was well looked after. My main dislike about W is the area is a little further out and a bit dull. Given that both times I stayed I paid about 3300 baht I thought it was pretty good value for money. As far as service goes I dont even know what people talk about, all of the SPG hotels I have been in BKK have looked after me well and met all my requirements. Then again I spent 4 years living in a Ger in Mongolia having to walk 50 meters in -35C temperatures in winter to have a shower or go to the toilet so Im pretty relaxed about what makes me happy!
To be honest, I have not seen rates anywhere near 3300 THB recently unless you got a BRG. I rarely see W below 4500 THB, and at that price I still cannot pull the trigger on this property. It's good that you got an upgrade to a junior suite but so many other Starwood and Marriott hotels will upgrades to suites, some of them with very good odds, so I am still not convinced at this stage that it is a differentiating factor?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by escape4
To be honest, I have not seen rates anywhere near 3300 THB recently unless you got a BRG. I rarely see W below 4500 THB, and at that price I still cannot pull the trigger on this property. It's good that you got an upgrade to a junior suite but so many other Starwood and Marriott hotels will upgrades to suites, some of them with very good odds, so I am still not convinced at this stage that it is a differentiating factor?
Yes BRGs. I stay in any of the hotels except LMS depending on what relative value and where I want to stay.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: SPG, AA, Hertz
Which Starwood for Wife and I

Stay coming up for 3-5 nights, end of November into early December, first time in Thailand. We want a great location and a nice pool. We are most interested in eating outside of the hotel, if somewhere does have spectacular Plat food/drink amenities our view could change.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:44 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Cubazuelen
Stay coming up for 3-5 nights, end of November into early December, first time in Thailand. We want a great location and a nice pool. We are most interested in eating outside of the hotel, if somewhere does have spectacular Plat food/drink amenities our view could change.
I might break up a first visit like this as two days at the Royal Orchied Sheraton for the river view and three days at the SGS for the pool and easy access to the rest fo the city.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I might break up a first visit like this as two days at the Royal Orchied Sheraton for the river view and three days at the SGS for the pool and easy access to the rest fo the city.
I agree with the suggestion of splitting up the trip. The crowds and traffic of Sukhumvit start to wear on me after a few days. It's much more tranquil by the river.

While I love SGS, I wouldn't pick it for the pool. Small, very little sun, and packed with smokers and small children.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: SPG, AA, Hertz
Thanks for the quick replies, is the location of the Royal Orchid bad? We really would like to have restaurants, temples, markets easily walk-able from the hotel.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Cubazuelen
Thanks for the quick replies, is the location of the Royal Orchid bad? We really would like to have restaurants, temples, markets easily walk-able from the hotel.
You really are not going to find a hotel that is walking distance to all the things you listed. What you really want is to be close to the public transportation so you can easily get to where you can walk to places. While you will find some of what you want walking distance from the Royal Orchid or SGS, the SGS it is very close to the BTS station making it very convenient and you can take boats from near the Royal Orchid which is the easiest way to get to many temples, the palace and the Khaosan Rd area. Bangkok public transportation is easy, convenient and inexpensive plus it gets you out of the heavy traffic.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
The best pool in my opinion is the Athenee. It is also close to BTS. ROS has very little in walking distance but with river ferries its easy to get to a number of tourist spots.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:32 pm

Somewhat off topic but I used FHR AMEX for Bangkok and got an incredible deal with free nights and food. I think the hotel was better than most starwoods as well as considered 5 star
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
Somewhat off topic but I used FHR AMEX for Bangkok and got an incredible deal with free nights and food. I think the hotel was better than most starwoods as well as considered 5 star
Which hotel?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:48 am

https://www.sukhothai.com/bangkok/en
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
Thanks. What was the rate you paid?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:57 pm

Can't remember but doesn't seem like that it's one of their hotels now..just checked it out and the cheapest hotel is the Peninsula Hotel for 6,175 BAHT a night with fourth night free (for next month)
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:58 pm

sorry to add on: w/ also a $100 resort credit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.